Barnes and Noble dropping the Architecture line?

Deadfraggle

Has anyone else encountered a significant decline in Lego Architecture stock levels at their area B&******? I've only got one B&****** in my local area, so my data set is admittedly very limited. Up until the fall of 2014, my local B&****** was a great source for Lego Architecture sets; good variety, multiples of each set, no coupon issues, etc. In the past 6 months I don't think the store has received any Architecture resupply. I was in the store last weekend and they were down to about maybe 5-6 sets. Over in the toy department, they keep receiving the latest sets from the other Lego series, so I'm not sure what to make of the situation.

Gosh I hope not.  I sure have spent some money at B&****** over the years.  I haven't notice that at the one I frequent, as they seem to get new stock in every once in a while.  It seems that they tend to stock up every few months, but they do let it deplete before they restock.  My guess is your B&****** is letting the stock get a little lower, before they bring in new inventory.  While some sets are definitely going by the wayside (I haven't seen any more stock with the Imperial Hotel, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Space Needles, and a single Brandenberg Gate has been sitting there for a while), I have seen a new round of White House's, Eiffel Towers, Trevi Fountains, and Lincoln Memorials at the one I frequent.  So, basically i'm seeing the older sets from 2013 and previous go by the wayside, while 2014 sets are being brought in.  The only set that is now somewhat older that is still being stocked is the White House.  I'm sure you'll also see the Flatiron pop in now that it has been released.. 

I have 3 area B&******, all are still fine with Arch sets. Sometimes you need to look around, because some stores get a cardboard display from LEGO which may or may not be logically located.

I *did* just get my first rejection using coupons on them this weekend though, annoyingly enough. The manager sounded legit concerned about the effect of accepting coupons on LEGO sets. Apparently it's something get more attention internally. They let me use one, but wouldn't let me use more than that. I didn't fight it. 

I *did* just get my first rejection using coupons on them this weekend though, annoyingly enough. The manager sounded legit concerned about the effect of accepting coupons on LEGO sets. Apparently it's something get more attention internally. They let me use one, but wouldn't let me use more than that. I didn't fight it. 

I also ran into the Queen of Stubborn cashiers earlier today. She politely said "let's take a glance" at the coupon(s) and then politely pointed out that Lego is excluded. To speed this story up, I went through my whole "these are in the puzzle section" and "if you don't mind trying it" sequence of suggestions, and when she finally looked me straight in the eye and said "Oh yeah, it'll work, but I won't scan it because it is not supposed to" I realized I didn't have time to deal with it right then and there. Going back tomorrow at a different time of day... Last 3 out of 4 FW within reasonable distance remain there.

And yes, stock seems lighter in general over the 10-12 stores I visit, nothing major overall, but I haven't paid much attention to the sets that are not nearing retirement anyway.

"Oh yeah, it'll work, but I won't scan it because it is not supposed to"

​Geez...what does that even mean?  Are you the CEO of B&Noble?  Or are you a cashier.  Do your job.  Scan it.  If it works, then it's supposed to work.  Because someone much higher than your pay grade, with a permanent position in the company, programmed those machines to accept what it's supposed to accept.

Glad you walked away.  I wouldn't have time to deal with that either.  Although, that would tempt me to complain to the people above her about her crappy customer service.

• Like 4

​Geez...what does that even mean?  Are you the CEO of B&******?  Or are you a cashier.  Do your job.  Scan it.  If it works, then it's supposed to work.  Because someone much higher than your pay grade, with a permanent position in the company, programmed those machines to accept what it's supposed to accept.

Glad you walked away.  I wouldn't have time to deal with that either.  Although, that would tempt me to complain to the people above her about her crappy customer service.

​She actually called the manager on the phone without me asking, because I said if she wouldn't try them that was fine but I wasn't going to buy without the coupons. She explained to him that the exclusion mentioned "ALL Lego" and that I clearly wanted to use it on a Lego set or else I wasn't going to make the purchase. A few "um-hum"s and "yeah"s later and she told me the manager confirmed her decision.

I too had an inkling to ask to speak in person, but I really truly didn't have time for it.

​Geez...what does that even mean?  Are you the CEO of B&******?  Or are you a cashier.  Do your job.  Scan it.  If it works, then it's supposed to work.  Because someone much higher than your pay grade, with a permanent position in the company, programmed those machines to accept what it's supposed to accept.

Does anyone have a quick idea of how many months or how many coupon cycles the lego exclusion has been in effect?

I think enough times to tell the cashier that "this exclusion has been on the last 14 coupons, but still the registers are being programmed to accept it on architecture sets from the puzzle department while they manage to keep the new sets updated in the toys department. So either who is reponsie for updating the POS databases for all of the stores nationwide is completely unaware of these sets -- which is highly doubtful by now -- or they really want these sets to be treated as puzzles with the coupon applied and would be extremely surprised to find out that cashiers at the local level are purposely applying their own agenda to thwart the customer's use of their paid Member perks."

l'll be more than happy to write a letter of recommendation to your corporate customer service department -- asking them to nominate you for a division recognition for coupon policy watchdog."

• Like 1

Does anyone have a quick idea of how many months or how many coupon cycles the lego exclusion has been in effect?

I think enough times to tell the cashier that "this exclusion has been on the last 14 coupons, but still the registers are being programmed to accept it on architecture sets from the puzzle department while they manage to keep the new sets updated in the toys department. So either who is reponsie for updating the POS databases for all of the stores nationwide is completely unaware of these sets -- which is highly doubtful by now -- or they really want these sets to be treated as puzzles with the coupon applied and would be extremely surprised to find out that cashiers at the local level are purposely applying their own agenda to thwart the customer's use of their paid Member perks."

l'll be more than happy to write a letter of recommendation to your corporate customer service department -- asking them to nominate you for a division recognition for coupon policy watchdog."

That's certainly one way to react to the less than consistent coupon policy at B&******. However, in my experience rudeness to a low level retail employee accomplishes nothing positive. A better response, in my opinion would be to turn around and really look through the store. There are tons of marketable items that money can be made on that the coupon will work for. 

So I've said it before and I'll say it again, for those having trouble with the coupons, be polite and persistent.

I called the store manager about the coupon Nazi and calmly yet thoroughly explained the situation, including the exact wording on the exclusion, the fact that Lego Architecture sets are coded for the registers AND appear on the website under Hobbies and Collectibles, NOT Toys and Games, and the fact that she said she knew it would work but wouldn't scan it. He asked for a name, which I didn't have... but he said if I came in when he was there he would scan them himself and go with whatever happens - no override, which I emphatically agreed would be inappropriate.

Of course when I got there a different cashier cheerfully typed in both coupons (someone else got FW #3 in the meantime) and all three gift card codes without hesitation, so no manager was required.

Most people are average or better human beings, some just weren't cut out for life as a social species.

If I run into that old bag again, I'm calling her out. I don't care how long the line is!

• Like 2

Why don't the coupons work online for sets that are from "Hobbies and Collectibles"?

Has anyone tried chatting with customer service online to get the fortnightly 15%/20% coupons work on them? It worked for me once, but I don't feel good doing it multiple times. I guess it's YMMV.

Edited by teohwp85

I haven't noticed that B&N has made huge changes in their Architecture inventory respective to the sets that are currently out. The bigger topic is that LEGO has retired several models in the past year or so and hasn't replaced them.

About a year ago, the following sets were around and are now retired:
21004 Solomon Guggenheim Museum
21005 Fallingwater
21008 Burj Khalifa
21010 Robie House
21007 Rockefeller Center
21009 Farnsworth House
21002 Empire State Building
21012 Sydney Opera House

Of that list, I only see SOH on a regular basis.

There were only two new in 2014 sets (Eiffel Tower/Trevi Fountain) and the the 2015 replacements are only Lincoln/Flatiron/Louvre.