Possible Remake of UCS Darth Vader Tie 2017?

Cashmoney-0

By the way by not releasing an UCS falcon LEGO can surely achieve one thing. It's the "I did not buy it when it was being produced and now it is so expensive" argument. It's the set you can always point at when you want to sell your product. The living example for people to buy sets before they are retired. By now almost everybody and their dog knows about the giant expensive LEGO Falcon. As long as LEGO can induce the regret in people for missing these sets the firm is sitting on a gold mine. If there is a set they should keep forever retired for this reason then it is the Falcon.

​LEGO doesn't gain anything by having a set retired that can only be acquired in the secondary market.  They don't gain a single penny.  It would make more sense if they did release a larger version in some capacity.  And you have to take into consideration about people in the dark ages.  Why would you think that LEGO wants to punish these people who outgrew Lego for many years, only to come back and not have an opportunity to buy a set at retail.  That's pretty vindictive if you ask me, if you believe that Lego purposely does this.  I was in my dark ages from 2003-2013.  10 years seems to be a fairly normal amount of time to be in the dark ages.  I've missed out on a lot of great sets from then.  I think it's great that Lego appears to start this trend of remaking/re-releasing UCS sets.  I hope they continue this trend honestly.  I know you investors hate it, but I think it's great for people like me, who've missed out on a set to get a chance to get a similar version for retail without having to pay sometimes exorbitant secondary prices.  Granted I think this works only if they keep a decent enough time span in between UCS sets like the X-wing.

• Like 4

​LEGO doesn't gain anything by having a set retired that can only be acquired in the secondary market.  They don't gain a single penny.  It would make more sense if they did release a larger version in some capacity.  And you have to take into consideration about people in the dark ages.  Why would you think that LEGO wants to punish these people who outgrew Lego for many years, only to come back and not have an opportunity to buy a set at retail.  That's pretty vindictive if you ask me, if you believe that Lego purposely does this.  I was in my dark ages from 2003-2013.  10 years seems to be a fairly normal amount of time to be in the dark ages.  I've missed out on a lot of great sets from then.  I think it's great that Lego appears to start this trend of remaking/re-releasing UCS sets.  I hope they continue this trend honestly.  I know you investors hate it, but I think it's great for people like me, who've missed out on a set to get a chance to get a similar version for retail without having to pay sometimes exorbitant secondary prices.  Granted I think this works only if they keep a decent enough time span in between UCS sets like the X-wing.

​First of all I mostly collect, I rarely sold any sets. Only did that when there was free money on the shelves (Rovers....). I personally don't care if LEGO does a new release or not. If they do I will buy it. And yes, LEGO should punish people to a degree from a business logic point of view. And saying that they don't get a single penny is probably not true. By inducing fear in people that they will miss a set like they did with the Falcon then they won't postpone purchases. More money is spent in the end. Also I did not say that they should not re-release any sets. What I said is that it is good that they have a very coveted set as an example. The collectible market works like this, limited time purchases drive it. For the people coming out of Dark Ages: just look at the current offerings. For an ordinary consumer they are more than enough to choose from. We are the crazy fanatics and collectors on this site. Vocal minority. Most people don't buy so many exclusives that the present offerings are exhausted. They are perfectly happy with buying a TIE. 

• Like 3

I think we have more chance a UCS AT- AT in 2016.

Tie Fighter Advanced is kinda has that classic feel to it now. Keep in mind Lego has never re- released Darth Vaders Tie in playset form.

In my opinion they wont re release or re imgaine this set. Like inversion said, keep the falcon retired. This will maintain,

that regret which pushes the have and the have not's (10179) to binge buy new UCS sets and troll the secondary markets for ones they have missed, not only pushing the price point up, but creating that exclusivness and building on the mythous and legendary "holy grail" status with builder/collectors.

Which inturn, creates future investors, builders, and collectors, but more importanly keeps the Lego brand strong and very profitable.

Tie Fighter Advanced is kinda has that classic feel to it now. Keep in mind Lego has never re- released Darth Vaders Tie in playset form.

8017 was a play set form. I do not know if you meant that there was only one UCS release, but there was a play set model.

Like I said before, Lego is missing out on money.  For those people that can afford to buy all these expensive UCS sets, they surely can buy an additional one if they were to re-release it in some capacity.  Just look at how well 10188 has done in 7 years.  $400 a pop, and it sells well enough to keep it on the shelves.  With the amount of new people coming into the hobby, if they re-released 10179, what do you think would probably happen? (Even if they made it a bit smaller to maintain the $400 price point.) Do you think people would buy the same priced 10188, or the newer version of the MF?  And be honest with yourself on this one, would you rather get a slightly smaller MF for retail price of $400 or get the larger model for well over $2000?

I think this time around more people will be clamoring for this set than I think most give them credit for.  Look I've bricklinked this set, and if they did a re-issue, I would buy it anyways.  Why? Because of simply having the complete thing, including box, instructions etc. 

But back on point.  10179 is still pretty new in standards of older UCS sets.  I would not be surprised to see a remake in like 2+ years maybe.  IMO, I actually like the updated version of the X-wing over the old one, and I've owned the old one.  It's a lot sleeker and nicer model IMO.  One set that I know could truly use an update would be the ISD.  That set is very much outdated as evidenced by most people's complaints about sagging after being on display for a while.  Lego is in the business to make money, and I can promise you they've been eyeballing the secondary markets and notice these gains and popularity, especially on older sets and are making these UCS remakes as a way to capitalize on said market.

With the handful of exceptions, Lego doesn't do a piece for piece re-issue.  They change things around a little here or there.  Add or remove some detail here or there.  So to say that 10179 would lose it's Uber status as the ultimate of ultimate Lego sets ever is just silly.

Meaning there is only ever been one play set and one UCS verison of Tie Fighter Advanced

I think there has been 3 other non-UCS versions (granted 1 was a reissue and all were in combo packs) of Vader's Tie Advance before 8017.  

Non-related : My belief is that we'll likely be getting a non-UCS vader tie before a UCS one.  It's been 7 years or since 8017 was released.

• Like 1

I think there has been 3 other non-UCS versions (granted 1 was a reissue and all were in combo packs) of Vader's Tie Advance before 8017.  

Non-related : My belief is that we'll likely be getting a non-UCS vader tie before a UCS one.  It's been 7 years or since 8017 was released.

​I believe 7152 was the Y-Wing and Vader Tie, pretty weak set IMO. 10131 came out with Vader Tie, 2 Tie Fighters, and a Tie Interceptor.

I thought the UCS Vader Tie retired 2007, but I might of read somewhere else it was 2008? Does anybody know for sure? IMO when rereleasing a UCS a ten year wait period would probably have to be a minimum.      

PT movies only got 4 UCS sets, and I think you could argue they are all the worst ones outside of the Darth Maul bust. 

​Republic Dropship with AT-OT is probably the most amazing build (the dropship) I saw in a Lego SW set and I own and have built quite a few.

I don't think Vader's TIE Advanced is the way to go next. A UCS MF remake really should come first, at least, for every reason imaginable.

And please, anything but another AT-AT. I know the vehicle lacks the plaque treatment and all, but sheesh... we've had 4 large ones, with the latest still on the shelf. No thanks. Give it another 4 years and then I'd love it. Similar feelings with Jabba's Sail Barge...

A-Wing just makes no sense to me, and I am a completionist like few others can claim. It's on the D-list right after the B-Wing. (C what I did there?)

Luke's Landspeeder would be pretty cool if done right, but...

I haven't figured out why no one else seems to want a UCS Speeder Bike!! C'mon who doesn't love that thing? (Complete with Stormtrooper AND Ewok minifigs - jk) I realize the design may be challenging at that scale but what do we pay these people for, right?

I'm probably alone on this but I think a UCS Trade Federation blockade ship would be pretty sweet, too. Very unique design there. Obviously that one will never happen, though.

And finally, it stupifies me that they have not produced a Darth Vader bust along the lines of Maul, Yoda, R2. Only Chewie and Boba would be missing from my Dream Team then.

​Wow, it's quite unbelievable to read a post like this as I couldn't disagree more! Except the UCS Trade Federation, I would indeed love that one. But ok, it would be quite boring if we all felt the same about all sets.

AT-AT? C'mon people, of the 4 versions done, not a single one is in minifig scale! And aside the motorized one which had one ounce of decency for the scale, all others were an absolute hack-and-slash money-grabbing c*ap!

I have already a close to minfig scale A-Wing (from 7754 and there was a separate set last year or so), landspeeder is an absolute bore for me (that scene bore the beep out of me in the movie, I ff-ed every time...)

Oh, and I agree about the MF, the re-release or update is overdue, if we had AT-AT and MF as 2016 UCS, I'd be a happy camper...

AT-AT? C'mon people, of the 4 versions done, not a single one is in minifig scale! And aside the motorized one which had one ounce of decency for the scale, all others were an absolute hack-and-slash money-grabbing c*ap!

​I quite like the 4483 http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=4483-1  I have it displayed on a shelf next to UCS R2-D2 and it looks great.

In regards to the next UCS.  I have my doubts it'll be a TIE Advanced.  The reason the X-Wing remake was done and worked was because the X-Wing was iconic, even casual Star Wars fans new what it was, so it crossed that Lego fan / SW fan boundary as well as mass market toy appeal.  Plus it was a different sort of X-Wing, so the true collectors had to get the update as well.  The TIE Advanced just doesn't tick those boxes.

I share the thought that the next true UCS set will most likely be something from Episode 7.  The hype the new movies generate will be a no-brainer decsion for Lego to tie in new products.

Maybe it will be a new MF, but even if it is, it will be slightly different to 10179.  I doubt it will be as large, something that size will put it in the $600 range or more these days.

Maybe it'll be something completely left field like a UCS Annakins Podracer...

That would be unfortunate......

​Yeah for sure.  I was thinking though, of the 6 movies, that might be the vehicle with the most total screen time that has not had a UCS or large detailed playset released.  It's probably the most memorable thing from TPM, most of the rest of the film people tend to forget...purposely :)

​I know it's not the UCS, I thought we were talking about the things on the UCS poster. In that case, neither 10178 is one...

​That poster caused a lot of confusion as to what a "UCS" is.  To many, it has to have box designation as such, to others, the 10xxx signifying exclusivity is enough.  To me, if it doesn't say UCS on the box, it's not.  Most would agree that 10144, 10178, 10188, 10123, etc., are not UCS sets, but are Lego exclusives and generally larger playsets.  10195 is definitely an awesome set, though I cannot claim to have ever owned it or built it since I don't normally purchase Clone Wars sets.

​ To me, if it doesn't say UCS on the box, it's not.  Most would agree that 10144, 10178, 10188, 10123, etc., are not UCS sets, but are Lego exclusives and generally larger playsets.  10195 is definitely an awesome set, though I cannot claim to have ever owned it or built it since I don't normally purchase Clone Wars sets.

​10221 and 10212 are not UCS by that logic. Neither 10240. UCS are display models, I agree. Indication of box well... most late 2000's and pre-2014 sets have no indication.

Do you guys think after the re-release of the UCS X-Wing and now the UCS Tie Fighter that a UCS Darth Vader Tie might be coming along in 2017? 

​UCS vs non-UCS arguments asside.   We already have rumors of a 3rd SW UCS set (or large play set depending on your perspective) coming this year. which may mean lego is upping the release of UCS style sets.  If they do start releasing 3+ sets a year then I think remakes will become more common, and the tie advance would be high on the list.  Now the new movie ships will also factor in, and how similar they are to the originals.  however they may just be making up for a lack of UCS sets released in 2013 and 2014.  and there are certainly plenty of material available if they really are avoiding remakes.

With the six new films coming out, I just think there will be a plethora of new material for them to work with that the chance of seeing a lot of rehashes of older UCS sets will be rare.  Not that it won't happen every now and then, but I doubt we will see a lot of rehashes of the older sets.  But i'm all for 2 new UCS vehicles and 1 new UCS style playset (ie ewok village, death star, hoth rebel base) every year.  Bring it!  Lets hope it becomes a set scheduled trend.

• 2 weeks later...

With the six new films coming out, I just think there will be a plethora of new material for them to work with that the chance of seeing a lot of rehashes of older UCS sets will be rare.  Not that it won't happen every now and then, but I doubt we will see a lot of rehashes of the older sets.  But i'm all for 2 new UCS vehicles and 1 new UCS style playset (ie ewok village, death star, hoth rebel base) every year.  Bring it!  Lets hope it becomes a set scheduled trend.

I wonder what the chances are that at least one UCS set per year (starting 2016) is going to be based on the new movies. It seems a logical way to get people more pumped about the future of the franchise and put out new sets without recycling the old ones. A new MF UCS set might not be out of the question - just as the X-wings in the new trailer are different from OT models, the Falcon looked slightly different as well.  You know Disney wants their money, and a new, high-priced model of one of the iconic series ships with new figures would be a hot ticket.