eBay.ca - Help with Shipping, Listing, Fees etc.

Brasidassp

Well it largely depends on what you're shipping, but once you get into medium sized sets Canada Posts moves to dimensional weight and it gets rather expensive. You're shipping in a pretty big box there... What it's costing you to ship in an oversized box can (and should be) recouped by shipping in properly sized boxes. Your box roughly translates to 24x16x9 inches. If you put that set in a properly sized box (20x16x4) I bet you'd shave 10-20 bucks off the shipping cost.

What shipping method - Expedited? Don't use anything else, it's not worth it.

What part of Canada are you in? Canada Posts splits the US up into 7 zones and sets rates from each province to each zone. Unfortunately, Texas and Florida are far from all provinces. It does seem on the high end, but if you were in BC shipping to Florida would be the max rate.

I didnt want to ship the set on a fit box because I thought it might get damaged so I chose a bigger box so I could put some fillers in. In your experience, do they arrive fine even when shipped in just-fit boxes? 

The 50-60 figure was FedEx's International Ground shipping, and was the cheapest option offered by FedEx, I did not use Canada Post.

I am based in Manitoba, and so I figured I'd try to get rates from cities furthest from me if I'm going to use fixed cost shipping on Ebay as actual cost shipping doesn't have any options for FedEx... 

Canada Post Expedited shipping is cheaper than FedEx unless you have a business account that you can piggy back personal shipments.

In my experience, sets arrive just fine if you pick a proper sized box. The key is to have boxes just a wee bit taller and don't put any padding on top, just around the edges.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, seapotato said:

To France, not USA so it is $7.50 base price. So still about +$7 for tracking?

To France for small packets, surface starts at 7.62 and air starts at 9.49.

Tracking... Tracked Packet International starts around $45. I'm not even making that up.

Some friends recently sent me a Priority 2 Business Day cardboard envelope containing documents from Canada to France. It was $70.

20 hours ago, thirsty said:

No matter what you do or who you use packages that size to the far flung US destinations will cost you $50 plus/minus. 

I buy all my boxes at ULine and fit them so I can bubble wrap them at least once before shoe horning them into the carton. 

That box size you are using is a major cost over run.  Don't do it Lebowski!

20 hours ago, gregpj said:

Canada Post Expedited shipping is cheaper than FedEx unless you have a business account that you can piggy back personal shipments.

In my experience, sets arrive just fine if you pick a proper sized box. The key is to have boxes just a wee bit taller and don't put any padding on top, just around the edges.

Well, I guess I've learned my lesson... lol. 

But then, with the difference in lego box sizes, do you order boxes based on what sets you currently have for sale? And where do you order/buy them in the first place? Staples?

No matter what you do or who you use packages that size to the far flung US destinations will cost you $50 plus/minus. 

I buy all my boxes at ULine and fit them so I can bubble wrap them at least once before shoe horning them into the carton. 

That box size you are using is a major cost over run.  Don't do it Lebowski!

Well, I guess I've learned my lesson... lol. 

But then, with the difference in lego box sizes, do you order boxes based on what sets you currently have for sale? And where do you order/buy them in the first place? Staples?

Like thirsty says, but in volume to get a discount and buy 2 or 3 different sizes at once to save on shipping. I don't get every size rather I get a big, one small, and two in the middle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I registered and now have a fedex canada account. I want to be able to have fedex shipping option when putting an auction for big sets. But I only have canada post as shipping option in ebay. How do I have fedex option as well? I have calculate option when ever someone ask for shopping prices for places like singapore, uk, germany, would like to calculate both canada poste and fedex, but onky have cp. if i go to fedex.ca, i get the shipping quote calculator, but need to have complete adress there, cant I just have estimation to countries ? This requires me to ask for complete adresse from people asking shipping cost info.

I registered and now have a fedex canada account. I want to be able to have fedex shipping option when putting an auction for big sets. But I only have canada post as shipping option in ebay. How do I have fedex option as well? I have calculate option when ever someone ask for shopping prices for places like singapore, uk, germany, would like to calculate both canada poste and fedex, but onky have cp. if i go to fedex.ca, i get the shipping quote calculator, but need to have complete adress there, cant I just have estimation to countries ? This requires me to ask for complete adresse from people asking shipping cost info.

Honestly, you should use the exact shipping address. I have had to shipping stuff to all over the world in my day job. It may surprise you, but FedEx doesn't ship to every place on the planet.

You don't want to get caught thinking you can ship via FedEx, only to discover you need DHL at 3x the price.

Hello all,

I sold a minifig on ebay.  Got paid very fast.  But the name and shipping address is in chinese.  I dont mind shipping if it will work.  Just wondering if Canada Poste will do once I show them the bubble mailer with the printed label.  They usually ask me the Postal code.  Also, I have to fill the custom papers, I do this by hand, I dont know if I will be able to write the symbols correctly.

Need advice

23 minutes ago, sqlplus said:

Hello all,

I sold a minifig on ebay.  Got paid very fast.  But the name and shipping address is in chinese.  I dont mind shipping if it will work.  Just wondering if Canada Poste will do once I show them the bubble mailer with the printed label.  They usually ask me the Postal code.  Also, I have to fill the custom papers, I do this by hand, I dont know if I will be able to write the symbols correctly.

Need advice

Try copying the address into Google Maps, it might show you the address in English there. Verifying an address on Google Maps is a good idea anyway, i always do it because sometimes people don`t know how to write their own address/postal code correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, got an odd one. I've had a buyer ask if I'd ship to him in Brazil. I checked and it seems no problem; he had requested UPS but they were going to charge $230!!! I dissuaded him and convinced him to use XpressPost.... CPs most expensive shipping is still half what UPS wants!

Did the calculator and got him a quote and he paid up. Went to print shipping label, selected Xpresspost and put in my data, ticked Signature and extra insurance, click proceed.... And I get an error "The shipping option you've chosen is invalid. Please check values."

I did some googling, only found results from 2013, but it looks like CanadaPost had updated some prices and PayPal had not; the inconsistency caused the error. All my data checks out, so I started experimenting. By unticking Signature, the page proceeds to payment window.

My question; does Xpresspost now include signature? Or am I seriously going to have to forfeit that security to gain my eBay shipping discount??

1 hour ago, Zelgazra said:

Hey guys, got an odd one. I've had a buyer ask if I'd ship to him in Brazil. I checked and it seems no problem; he had requested UPS but they were going to charge $230!!! I dissuaded him and convinced him to use XpressPost.... CPs most expensive shipping is still half what UPS wants!

Did the calculator and got him a quote and he paid up. Went to print shipping label, selected Xpresspost and put in my data, ticked Signature and extra insurance, click proceed.... And I get an error "The shipping option you've chosen is invalid. Please check values."

I did some googling, only found results from 2013, but it looks like CanadaPost had updated some prices and PayPal had not; the inconsistency caused the error. All my data checks out, so I started experimenting. By unticking Signature, the page proceeds to payment window.

My question; does Xpresspost now include signature? Or am I seriously going to have to forfeit that security to gain my eBay shipping discount??

Maybe the signature option is not supported in Brazil?

49 minutes ago, massakassa said:

Maybe the signature option is not supported in Brazil?

Your reply prompted another avenue of investigation and I got my answer buried deep... 

By clicking in to the XpressPost logo on Canadapost.ca you get a list of Features and Value Added Options. 

"Signature3

Ensures a personal hand-off of the item at delivery. The name of the signatory is recorded as well as the signature."

and then down below in the fine print: 

3Included with Xpresspost — USA, Xpresspost Certified and Xpresspost — International Prepaid envelopes at no additional charge. Additional fees apply for other Xpresspost and Xpresspost — International services.

I think Signature is not available to certain countries. Paypal seller protection is still valid with only delivery confirmation and no signature up to $750 USD total payment. If you exceed that then you need signature for Paypal protection. 

However if you still purchase proper insurance through Canada Post and the buyer claims item not received, then you may still have insurance through Canada Post. Which would cover the paypal charge back. 

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever... eBay really likes to screw with the selling community every chance they get. I have an eBay store with over 500 listing in USD. If I can't seamlessly move to eBay.com then I may shut down my store for a number of months in protest. Listing in USD is a big profit motivator for me, and listing in a volatile CDN dollar is just too much of a roller-coaster these days.

• Like 1