10185 - Green Grocer

BuckeyeFanDan

Does anyone know the total number of sealed bags that should be in the 10185 Green Grocer set?  I am looking at one that has  a mangled, open box, but sealed bags and am trying to confirm that they are all there.

Also, since the box is in bad shape but the bags are sealed, what kind of value does that typically mean?  I am trying to determine a fair price to offer for it.  It would be for my own collection, not for investing.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

I can't answer the number of bags question but if it is for your own collection (to build), then I would pay less than the used price in the price guide. For example, start at 400?  If it is cash, there is incentive for the seller to accept less money. 

There is no point in paying top dollar for a new one if you intend to build it.

10185 Green Grocer

Instruction books: 3

Green 16x32 baseplates: 2

#1 bags: 8

#2 bags: 5

#3 bags: 10

1 unnumbered bag

(24 total bags)

Just curious...what is the source for that info? I ask because it seems like there's a hole in our collective knowledge, and maybe it's time to fill that hole somehow. Seems like someone (myself included) is asking the "how many bags?" question daily.

Just curious...what is the source for that info? I ask because it seems like there's a hole in our collective knowledge, and maybe it's time to fill that hole somehow. Seems like someone (myself included) is asking the "how many bags?" question daily.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/14452/master-list-how-many-bags

I can't recall who, but this link was shared on here earlier this week and has already come in handy for me a lot in just the past few days. Definitely some good info to have

• 11 months later...

When I got into this gig, the idea was buy low and sell high. I have had a used Green Grocer for some time now on display. I have built, displayed, torn down, and sold many sets without any remorse, but taking photos of the GG today and prepping it for sale is giving me pause.  

Is this set a true classic that I should continue to hold? Is there much room left for appreciation? Overall, where do you feel that GG ranks in the module world?

Essentially, would I be crazy to part with it?

​Yes. ;)

Ultimately it depends on what your end game is... It's a beautiful set and we'll keep ours, it's not for sale. If you never plan on displaying it again, might be worth a sale. The prices for new and used seemed to take a jump at/just after Xmas 2014 but have since settled down/stabilized. I honestly don't think there is much left to gain on a used GG from current prices or the gains will be slow. With TH and GE now gone (and likely PS or PC later this year) there is only going to be more competition for Modular secondary market dollars. For the longest time only CC, MS and GG were competing for those $$s.

When I got into this gig, the idea was buy low and sell high. I have had a used Green Grocer for some time now on display. I have built, displayed, torn down, and sold many sets without any remorse, but taking photos of the GG today and prepping it for sale is giving me pause.  

Is this set a true classic that I should continue to hold? Is there much room left for appreciation? Overall, where do you feel that GG ranks in the module world?

​If you have pause and don't need the cash, then you might as well keep it.  You probably will not get another at whatever price you paid and as someone who owns them all except for the DO, I rank the GG just ahead of the CC as the best looking modular building.  By having it on display, you have demonstrated that it isn't just about the money for you and you may feel like displaying it again in the future.

If you do plan to sell it, I can always use another!

**I own the PR but I haven't built one yet.**

• Like 1

​If you have pause and don't need the cash, then you might as well keep it.  You probably will not get another at whatever price you paid and as someone who owns them all except for the DO, I rank the GG just ahead of the CC as the best looking modular building.  By having it on display, you have demonstrated that it isn't just about the money for you and you may feel like displaying it again in the future.

If you do plan to sell it, I can always use another!

**I own the PR but I haven't built one yet.**

This. I occasionally come across a set in a bulk lot that I just can't part with. QAR, BP, UCS Batmobile, Shuttle Adventure, Emerald Night...If you like it and don't have to sell it, just hang onto it for a bit. You can always sell it later.

​I think you'd be crazy to sell it, but I'm a modular fan so I'm probably bias. I have gone as far as Brick-linking my Green Grocer because I wanted one so bad for my collection. What I have observed, and this is just since about September of 2014, is GG prices on the secondary market have risen from just under $500 USD to as high as $800 USD. If you don't have a strong attachment to modulars, then maybe cashing out for $800+ next month is an attractive position. On the other hand, like others have already said, you probably won't pick up another one in the future for whatever you have wrapped up in your current one.

What happens in a year or two when you decide you really, really want one and the used ones are going for $1000+

If you sell it I think you will always regret it. You will never get it back for that price. It is a classic and I wish I owned one. I only miss the first three modulars but prices went up so high that I will have to forget about the idea of owning the whole street. 

Just my 0.02

• Like 1

If you sell it I think you will always regret it. You will never get it back for that price. It is a classic and I wish I owned one. I only miss the first three modulars but prices went up so high that I will have to forget about the idea of owning the whole street. 

Just my 0.02

Agreed.  There are just some sets that "are forever".  This is one of them.

As much as I like modular series and I think the GG is my favourite (don't have one)...reinvesting $800ish or just buying something you want with the profits is pretty tempting.  You might get lucky and find another GG for 'cheap' but if you're a collector than all bets are off - keep it. 

Thanks for the advice everybody. I did decide to post it. I do keep a few sets on display but the house is slowly becoming a Lego museum. When I bought this set it was intended as a display for awhile , then flip, so I am sticking to it. It's out there if you want to take a look!

• Like 1

Question for personal build. What would be a good price for a used complete GG with instructions without a box?

​A good price or a realistic price? Unless you find some crazy deal on Craig's List, or find one buried in a bulk lot, used complete sets w/o box are averaging $700 USD give or take the past month on ebay. I've seen some sell for over $800 on ebay the past two weeks. All the listings on Bricklink have risen above $700 at this point as of this week. 

A good price given this market would be below $625 in my opinion and a great price somewhere back down in the $500's but who knows if you'll find that.

If you're not a purist, and don't mind substituting the Sand Green 1x8's on the sides of the GG for a mix of Sand Green 1x6's+1x2's and/or 1x4's+1x4's, then you can Bricklink GG with all new parts for under $500. If you go really crazy and change the color to Sand Blue, you can drop the price even further, probably below $400.

• Like 1

I almost bit the bullet and bought one on ebay for $850 last night getting the 10% ebay bucks back. Decided not to, looking for complete with original instructions.

​Scroll up the thread maybe PM Yinchuan. He just listed his used GG as he's looking to move on to something new. Maybe you can arrange a trade in Brick Classifieds.

Another option I recommend is to post a wanted ad over in Brick Classifieds for a used GG at a price your more comfortable with paying. You never know, there might be a Brick Picker that has an extra one they're willing to sell you at your target price, especially if they aren't paying a high commission to another internet commerce site.

http://www.brickclassifieds.com/ads-list

Edited by Deadfraggle