10185 - Green Grocer

BuckeyeFanDan

• 3 weeks later...

I inadvertently stumbled on this when I bought GG for my stepsons back in 2008 as a birthday present.  They never came and got it so I just put it up on shelf and forgot about it.  I recently moved and the box was slightly damaged but it is still intact/sealed and I would consider it in very good condition.  Do you think it will appreciate in value over the next 10 years?  Should I sell it?

Edited by Martha
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Martha said:

I inadvertently stumbled on this when I bought GG for my stepsons back in 2008 as a birthday present.  They never came and got it so I just put it up on shelf and forgot about it.  I recently moved and the box was slightly damaged but it is still intact/sealed and I would consider it in very good condition.  Do you think it will appreciate in value over the next 10 years?  Should I sell it?

Ten years is a long time to wait. The set retired from the USA in 2010.  It originally was at retail for $150. Currently, prices for even a damaged sealed box will go as much as $950 according to BL. The set will appreciate in value UNLESS there is a re-release of something similar to it.  However, in terms of forecasting the gains you could conceivably reap, that remains murky, if not simply stagnant.  There is eventually a ceiling and the Green Grocery may be hitting it.

I would recommend selling it if you're not going to build it.  You may get offers from fellow BrickPickers for it if you want to consider those.

18 minutes ago, Martha said:

Sell, Sell, Sell.

Whether it be a complete re-release of the set, or just the individual rare parts that get re-released - In the current environment, there is just far too much risk to hold.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

Mine is Market Street. Not sure how long it will take before I crack and spend far too much money on a copy...

I got a sealed one last year, flawless condition, three-digit price, looked like it was just produced yesterday. That was just pure luck though. If you really want one, get the parts, buy used or wait for a remake. Don't buy a sealed one for a couple thousand, that's just a waste.

8 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

I got a sealed one last year, flawless condition, three-digit price, looked like it was just produced yesterday. That was just pure luck though. If you really want one, get the parts, buy used or wait for a remake. Don't buy a sealed one for a couple thousand, that's just a waste.

I'd never buy a set like this new unless the price was right. I previously had a sealed 10185 that I got for £300 (I believe I posted that in the 'what set did you buy today' thread in about 2017). I decided that I couldn't justify opening it to build, so I sold it early last year for £840 so I could buy a used one and pocket the difference. The very same month, I was able to get this version for the price of a used set from an eBay auction, thanks to the seller labelling it as used rather than new. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 9:01 AM, Captain_chaos said:

Mine is Market Street. Not sure how long it will take before I crack and spend far too much money on a copy...

Turns out the answer was about 9 months...

In other news, used Green Grocers are now selling for over £800, with almost nothing available in the UK. Fairly recently, that represented the going rate for new copies. Prices have gone crazy - it wasn't all that long ago that used sets seemed to be in the £400 - £500 range. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...