LEGO Worlds

TheOrcKing

A Eurobricks member spotted at the back of the new City Square set's instruction manual an image for a possible future video game without much to go on aside from the "EXPLORE. DISCOVER. CREATE." top caption and an image reminiscent of the classic PC LEGO titles. Let's see, a sprawling digital realm where you can build and create without limitation to your hearts content. ....So basically it's Minecraft but with LEGO bricks.

17475536873_038d6ffa74_b.jpg

Source: Brickset

• Like 3

That sounds interesting.  It's such a logical thing for Lego to get into.  Assuming that is they have no "non-compete" deal with Minecraft or have come to and end of, or have an exit clause in that licensing arrangement.

The web address doesn't seem to be up yet.

TT Games ltd have created a few of the recent Lego games and are also involved in Lego Dimensions.  Nothing on their website about "Worlds" yet though.

I can see my kids getting into this (and maybe me...)

Sad to say but the idea to explore, discover, and create is not going to sit well with the current generation.  Without a horde of zombies, barbarians, or evil villains to destroy or defend your creations against, this game is going to fail.

ETA: This was meant as a critique on the society, not the game itself ;)  

Sad to say but the idea to explore, discover, and create is not going to sit well with the current generation.  Without a horde of zombies, barbarians, or evil villains to destroy or defend your creations against, this game is going to fail.

​Aside from the creatures roaming about at night, Minecraft is pretty much just putting stuff together and it seems to be doing very well. Looking back at the company's previous attempt of a massive multiplayer online game with LEGO Universe where you could freeform build while fending off the forces of darkness, that did not turn out so good despite the amount of effort and concepts put into it. I imagine with this future venture the focus will be on establishing an online community where people all over the world can create whatever they desire with others basically like an open sandbox building forum.

​If they want it to sell next to Minecraft, it needs to be different.. or include licensed themes. Imagine building your own Death Star of out Lego bricks!

​You can do that in Minecraft, you just don't have any specific element. These sandbox online games are sustained by the size of the community behind them. If they can't get teh critical mass this game will die very quickly. And the core audience is already into Minecraft. 

Dimensions will also die off fast if it can'T gather a sizeable community behind it, however I see more potential in that despite the 2 strong competitors.

​You can do that in Minecraft, you just don't have any specific element. These sandbox online games are sustained by the size of the community behind them. If they can't get teh critical mass this game will die very quickly. And the core audience is already into Minecraft. 

Dimensions will also die off fast if it can'T gather a sizeable community behind it, however I see more potential in that despite the 2 strong competitors.

​That's why I'm thinking if you have the licensed themes as part of game play.. Getting chased by an Indominus Rex, then hopping into your UCS Falcon to blast it and then having to fend off Smaug as you try to escape the planet only to be caught in the Death Star's tractor beam!

Truthfully, I don't really see why they need Lego Worlds with the new Dimensions game. All of that happily fits into the Dimension banner and they could have given people a free play mode where they could also build their own levels out of LEGO bricks. I wonder if they aren't spreading themselves a little too thin here.

​That's why I'm thinking if you have the licensed themes as part of game play.. Getting chased by an Indominus Rex, then hopping into your UCS Falcon to blast it and then having to fend off Smaug as you try to escape the planet only to be caught in the Death Star's tractor beam!

Truthfully, I don't really see why they need Lego Worlds with the new Dimensions game. All of that happily fits into the Dimension banner and they could have given people a free play mode where they could also build their own levels out of LEGO bricks. I wonder if they aren't spreading themselves a little too thin here.

​It might actually be to their advantage doing it this way. 1) It's difficult to put a lot of different types of gameplay into the same game. The game engine would need to support multiple play styles, ie. static world with action vs mutable world. The engineers and testers would need to be aware of all the different styles. 2) LEGO contracts out the development of the game to different game studios. Jamming that much functionality into 1 game is more difficult than hiring 2 games out to 2 different studios, as long as it all aligns with their bottom line. eg. throw a contract for a Ninjago DS game at some company for $300K and as long as it makes back 300K + fees it was worth it (for the rest of the benefits like loyalty).

What you guys are saying sounds nice, but more often than not it's games that try to do too much that fail rather than focusing on their core. Minecraft was and still is a pretty simple game. Adding story and action to constructive/destructive environments is quite difficult, you have to consider so much + multiplayer conflicting ("phasing" in WoW).

Minecraft is doing fine.

​Aside from the creatures roaming about at night, Minecraft is pretty much just putting stuff together and it seems to be doing very well. Looking back at the company's previous attempt of a massive multiplayer online game with LEGO Universe where you could freeform build while fending off the forces of darkness, that did not turn out so good despite the amount of effort and concepts put into it. I imagine with this future venture the focus will be on establishing an online community where people all over the world can create whatever they desire with others basically like an open sandbox building forum.

​Proof that one does not need know anything about the source material to make :money: off of the LEGO sets inspired by the said source materials :phew:

​I miss Lego Universe, until it became inundated with adult'ish cheaters & other various nasties,  it was allot of fun to relax for a hour after packing BL orders till the midnight day change.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...