70738 - Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty

Darth_Raichu

The original version was pretty unique, I liked it, but this version is vastly improved. Pretty bada$$ display piece. One major complaint that Jang also noted is the flags. They should have been fabric rather than plastic, sure the design would need some tweaking in order to move, but not much, perhaps Lego went with plastic because it is a kids set of course. Fabric would see more wear and tear in theory than plastic. Still though, it`s a great looking set, even if you`re not a Ninjago fan. 

EDIT: Also, the Dragon is fairly good as well. It`s no Smaug, but hey, for a fantasy brick-built version, not bad at all. 

Edited by @rtisan

Looks like a fun build and a great addition to my collection. Glad I held off on buying the original after EOL. In another thread people were questioning Jangs source for early set acquisition, it is good to see however he gets them he can be critical as well. Making cloth sails should not be that complicated once you find the right pattern of fabric since you have the plastic as a template, however I think the thick heavy duty plastic sails used on the Sea Cow would have been a wiser choice. 

Edited by Pseudoty

Glad I dumped all of my old ones a few months ago ;)

Based on 2nd video, Jang's source is not from the US :)

As for the sails, they probably wanted those to look rigid & shiny but flexible at the same time.  I'd rather they used cloths (like QAR) for those sails, even though they wouldn't look as shiny

The round shield with dragon motif is bada** and will look good on a mech  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
47 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

From what sort of buy-in price would you guys considering getting these? What is the expected production run - 2yrs, 1.5???

As low as possible? I am very reluctant to put any money in Ninjago, seems to be very much a line comprised of ephemeral forgettable things... but still want a Temple of Airjitsu for myself.

It also seems that most Ninjago stuff eventually gets down to clearance prices, as well.

Edited by Battrax

I was never interested in Ninjago, but they have really ramped up the designs lately.  Temple of Airjitsu is gorgeous.  And I've been eyeing FFoDB for the last few weeks.  This is really well done.  It has a dragon, it's a boat.  It fits into an Eastern theme.  There are a lot of potential wins for this set.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/9/2015 at 8:26 PM, Val-E said:

What prices are you guys seeing for this one? Here it is hard not to find at at least 40% off which is amazing for such a new set. I know little about this theme and am suspicious when things are openly marked down so much.

Did you ever figure out what an acceptable buy in was for this? Best I've seen is about €74 or about 38% off. I picked up one of the old version after it had retired and it sold for €160, and this is supposed to be a better version, but like you don't know a whole lot about the theme.

1 hour ago, Sprocket77 said:

Did you ever figure out what an acceptable buy in was for this? Best I've seen is about €74 or about 38% off. I picked up one of the old version after it had retired and it sold for €160, and this is supposed to be a better version, but like you don't know a whole lot about the theme.

I have only one that cost me 60 euros. They were priced match between 65 and 70 last Xmas vs 120 euros RRP becaause Ninjago is about as popular as  Corbyn over here.

Just now, Val-E said:

I have only one that cost me 60 euros. They were priced match between 65 and 70 last Xmas vs 120 euros RRP becaause Ninjago is about as popular as  Corbyn over here.

As bad as Corbyn, that ain't good, at least half the pieces in the set will walk out in disgust at the instructions and the whole thing will fall apart.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

As bad as Corbyn, that ain't good, at least half the pieces in the set will walk out in disgust at the instructions and the whole thing will fall apart.

The main issue is that it´s likely to be a 2yr run and so many investors here have been able to pick them up cheap it will probably follow the same pattern as 70146 chima temple (still available on Amazon and Ebay well below RRP 6 months after production stopped).

From now on, I am staying the hell away from everything that isn´t Star Wars or hard to find AND 40% off because it´s too hard to find domestic buyers, the UK is now going to be priced out of the market due to the week pound and Germany has lower RRP´s so they won´t bit either.

Edited by Val-E

• 4 months later...

not investment related but how would I go about obtaining all the pieces contained in Bag 9?

I asked Lego and they told me it would cost me $35.

Doesn't sound like a good deal considering the whole set can be had for $80-90.  

I want to try to brick link everything but is there a way to get the list of what I need, short of looking at the instruction booklet and going to the back pages to reference the item number...

thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, ichiroll said:

not investment related but how would I go about obtaining all the pieces contained in Bag 9?

I asked Lego and they told me it would cost me $35.

Doesn't sound like a good deal considering the whole set can be had for $80-90.  

I want to try to brick link everything but is there a way to get the list of what I need, short of looking at the instruction booklet and going to the back pages to reference the item number...

thanks in advance.

Did you buy it from Barnes and Noble?  I'm surprised LEGO wouldn't send it to you, but otherwise I'd exchange it where you bought it.

2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Did you buy it from Barnes and Noble?  I'm surprised LEGO wouldn't send it to you, but otherwise I'd exchange it where you bought it.

well, i told Lego that we misplaced the bag.  frankly i'm not really sure what happened to it between my 4 and 6 year olds...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ichiroll said:

well, i told Lego that we misplaced the bag.  frankly i'm not really sure what happened to it between my 4 and 6 year olds...

You'll probably have to Bricklink it, or some Bricklinker on here who is parting it out on might be able to hook you up with bag 9.

Just now, exciter1 said:

You'll probably have to Bricklink it, or some Bricklinker on here who is parting it out on might be able to hook you up with bag 9.

yep, thanks.

I asked customer service at Lego to give me the quantity and part numbers for bag 9, we'll see if they help me out...

yep, thanks.
I asked customer service at Lego to give me the quantity and part numbers for bag 9, we'll see if they help me out...

They did help me with a list of part numbers and quantity so I Bricklinked them through 2 stores. Cost me $18 total instead of $33 that Lego was asking. Now this morning they send me a thank you email for placing an order for those parts but I didn't place an order! What the...

• 1 month later...