76020 - Knowhere Escape Mission

jay4e

Saw this starting to hit clearance, and was wondering what the opinions are on its potential.  I know nothing about the characters in this set, but they are pretty rare in lego form, and the Groot maxi looks cool.  seems like a decent part selection as well, though the build doesnt look that strong on its own.

If I can find these on clearance, I'll pick them up to pair with the GotG ship. That puts all the characters together. 

​This is the key, between the two sets you get the whole squad. I love the two sets and there should end up being a bit of a gap between when the sets go sold out and the next wave of sets hits for the movie sequel.

• Like 1

I've seen them ​$30 at some walmart.  Same stores had xmen sentinel for $35.

Thank you. I'll keep checking my walmart app. Isn't retail on this one $40? $30 doesn't seem like a decent clearance price. That's only 25% off. $25 or $20 and I'm clearing the shelf. Perhaps I've become a bit spoiled with some of the clearance deals I come across. Thanks for the info.

$25 or $20 and I'm clearing the shelf. Perhaps I've become a bit spoiled with some of the clearance deals I come across.

​I know the feeling. After finding a couple rare sets at or close to half-off and now not even 30-35% looks like a good deal anymore. Haha. And retail for this specific set is $40, you are correct.

• Like 1

Thank you. I'll keep checking my walmart app. Isn't retail on this one $40? $30 doesn't seem like a decent clearance price. That's only 25% off. $25 or $20 and I'm clearing the shelf. Perhaps I've become a bit spoiled with some of the clearance deals I come across. Thanks for the info.

​yes - its basically a BOGO 50% (25% off msrp).  i have bought 2 at a Walmart in NH where I didn't have to pay sales tax so i added another 6% on to the discount mentally.  

when was the last time TRU had a real BOGO 50%?  thus this deal looks ok though i agree its sort of MEH.  i think long term this set will do well though and i haven't see it discounted.  if you live near a fableed meijers or whatever it is, you will end up scoring the best deal sometime coming up probably anyway.  i have just enough of these to pair with the Milano Starship set and will dump in 2017 when the new movie comes out.

this set seems to have dried up at most retail outlets near me so i'm not sure I'll have much better chance at a discount than 25% off.

Edited by cladner

if you live near a fableed meijers or whatever it is, you will end up scoring the best deal sometime coming up probably anyway.  

​I have meijer stores all around me, and hardly ever find great deals there. Best deals I have found was a Queen Beast Vs. 44029 (shoved behind a bunch of sets) for $11, Fire Lion 70144, and Super Cycle Chase 70808 for $25 apiece (Found 70808 for $15 at Target). So meijer unfortunately hasn't been that good to me. They still have plenty of 76020's on the shelf, among others for little or no discount. Actually, I have noticed they raised the prices on a few sets just slightly so they could flag it as a "Price Drop", which put it back to the original price.

Overall, I have a Meijer near me that I visit on a weekly basis for groceries, but always take a stroll down the Lego isle.

I must say I have rarely seen 50% off any major sets.  30% off is the standard "clearance" rate for most kits I have seen over the last few years.  

• 4 weeks later...

Opened this set to get the Groot and Rocket figs and complete my GOTG character collection. But then I realized the Rocket fig’s orange suit doesn’t match the maroon suits the rest of the figs have from the Milano set. So I also opened a TRU Rocket poly. If it wasn’t for the minifigs/maxifig this set would be very disappointing.