KMart - Bleak outlook and poor earnings are weighing down this sinking ship

AS long as they keep giving me 10.00 for every 50.00 spent...I'll keep shopping .  20% in store "dollars" is a no brainer and goes a long way to helping my profit margins in regards to selling.  It's not like name brand products at K-Mart cost anymore or are inferior to the same name brand products sold elsewhere.  

• Like 2

AS long as they keep giving me 10.00 for every 50.00 spent...I'll keep shopping .  20% in store "dollars" is a no brainer and goes a long way to helping my profit margins in regards to selling.  It's not like name brand products at K-Mart cost anymore or are inferior to the same name brand products sold elsewhere.  

Unless those name brand products turn out to be curtains.

• Like 2

It's a sad thing really but inevitable unfortunately. A huge list of other stores have closed completely in the last something years (mainly name bands found in shopping malls) and those were better than Kmart in most ways (staff, stock, cleanliness, etcetera). I remember almost always going to Kmart in my youth even when a Wal-Mart opened right across the street. When I look back now, I can see the way how the store was stocked did not make sense all the time but it was nothing near bad as it was the last few times I visited one up until mine closed permanently (and even with that the "closing for business" clearance sales were laughable). Humorous and sad at the same time to think Toys R Us is actually better off (for the moment) than Kmart but I imagine that will change in the future.

My biggest worry here when the company closes altogether, that will be how many people to add on the unemployed list? Almost insulting if they ended up going to work part-time at Wal-Mart. I mean work is work but it isn't like Wal-Mart is much better if not worse.

KMart's imminent demise has been discussed here before, but CNN Money posted an update yesterday for their 2015 earnings report.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/08/investing/kmart-sales-decline-sears-eddie-lampert/index.html?iid=SF_LN

​Thank you so much for this, I'm actually in the process of writing an essay regarding lack of strategic management and leadership :D

Don't count Kmart out just yet, they are actually in a pretty good position to take advantage of futureforward trends in reselling...   forecasts are showing that direct to consumer sales are/will be trending toward the very high & very low end merchandise, everything in the fat middle will be moving to on-line purchasing. thus it's the Dollar stores that are starting to come into their own as retail destinations.  K-mart has been around forever, already has a reputation as low-end & has brand recognition, if played right they could position themselves as kings of the market between the importers & Walmart.  it's not flashy but there's money in that bracket.  In Canada the GiantTigers & DollarStores are becoming very fashionable & exploding faster than most, they'll soon be on every corner as much as  Tim Hortons or subway sandwiches (yuck) are.  ;-)

• 1 month later...

Got a notice from my Sears/Kmart Credit Card that as of October they are no longer giving 5% (Kmart) or 2% (Sears) bonus SYWR points on purchases made via Credit Card. This is annoying, but as we've been echoing, it's obvious these guys need to make some changes.

• 6 months later...

I stopped at a kmart about 30 minutes from me (the one in my town closed a few years ago). It is really no wonder they are suffering. The store is so disorganized and dirty looking. It almost looks like a crappy thrift store.

There were 4 or 5 employees working the toy section yesterday, yet it was still a confusing mess. There were Lego sets in at least 5 different locations including an end cap filled with sets that have been clearanced at every other retailer. And they are all full price.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I must mention, one of my KMart's are swimming in non-clearanced LEGO.  They now have 2 large LEGO sections.  They had a bunch of it piled up, but now they moved out the clearance to the back of the store and then moved leftover LEGO that isn't on their planogram in it's place.

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

Exciter, I've been lazy and haven't stopped down - What are clearance toys at this week?

30% in the one store I was in the other day.  My stores keep adding things, but usually not LEGO.  Some nice Halo Mega Bloks were added to the pile this week.