KMart - Bleak outlook and poor earnings are weighing down this sinking ship

Got a KMart near me closing.  All Lego 25% off... 1st markdown.
How long should I wait to load up?  And which sets priority?
It didn't look too messed up yet.

Where you live plays a huge factor. Population etc. I think 40% most of the big sets will be gone. 50% a decent amount should remain and at 60% chaos for anything that has lego logo on it.

(Personal experience the past 2 months) i made out very well at 50% and good amount of stuff at 60% as well. Don't forget points and coupons. Go in prepared and do the math before you hit the register.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just popped into the Oak Lawn store they are closing, only sign of the closing was they aren't accepting new Layaways, I had hoped there was still a discount on the clearance there but no joy. I was kind of surprised to see a very well stocked Lego aisle with lots of new additions. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the liquidation sale.

41 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

I just popped into the Oak Lawn store they are closing, only sign of the closing was they aren't accepting new Layaways, I had hoped there was still a discount on the clearance there but no joy. I was kind of surprised to see a very well stocked Lego aisle with lots of new additions. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the liquidation sale.

They won't start the liquidation sale for a few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Rumors are swirling about a major announcement coming up from SHC. Speculation is that this is about a merger of the two brands (Sears and KMart) with a possible elimination of presence in several states, or potentially moving one brand to online only. Might affect as much as 600 stores.

Definitely on their last legs, but so are alot of retail chains. 2018 is going to be brutal for brick and mortar. Walmart and Target adapted to shift focus to online, the rest will not be around much longer. Lots of chains we all grew up with will vanish by 2019. Amazon will be broken up by the Feds but Bezos has been prepping for this eventuality for many years and has been diligently separating all of their brands from each other. Kmart, Sears, Toys R US, Macys, Kohls will all be history. Amazon will also take out Autozone, NAPA etc within 5 years. The big clothing chains were already destroying themselves prior to Amazon so Wardrobe will pick them off extremely quickly. Costco and Kroger should last a bit longer, but just a bit. Their online offerings are a joke.

• Like 1

The Kmart near me is closing. It's been going on for a few weeks. Toys are 30% off. There's a bunch of Rogue One buildables as well as a few Obi-Wan. There's a bunch of Rogue One Rebel Battle Packs. There's a handful of Nexo Knights sets, a couple cars 3 sets, a bunch of small city sets, Super Hero Mighty Micros, a couple Batman Movie $15 sets,a single Spider Man set and a beat to heck airjitzu spinner. It seems like someone is coming in and leaving with cartfulls of stuff each week because the quantity has reduced significantly since the clearance started at 25%.

Here's the thing though. Every single small set has 2 price stickers layered on them. Every single one has had the price increased before the clearance started. Most of the buildables are $1-$2 higher than retail. I was watching a Chewbacca buildable and had finally decided to go and pick it up for my kids for christmas even though the tag on it was $36.99, but I missed out by a matter of seconds.

They count on the stupidity of the consumer. One near me closed a few months ago and they had marked all of the new sets up 20% (of the already inflated K-Mart prices) right before doing their 30% off. People gobbled them up believing they were getting a deal. All of the old retired sets actually received the 30% off of their current mark down... so naturally those are the only things I gobbled up. After round 1 of clearance they didn't allow you to use coupons anymore.

By the time 50% off (of the 20% boost on the already inflated prices) came around it was slim pickings. I only grabbed a couple sets at 50% since there was so little left.

Hopefully your store follows a different model.

7 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

They count on the stupidity of the consumer. One near me closed a few months ago and they had marked all of the new sets up 20% (of the already inflated K-Mart prices) right before doing their 30% off. People gobbled them up believing they were getting a deal. All of the old retired sets actually received the 30% off of their current mark down... so naturally those are the only things I gobbled up. After round 1 of clearance they didn't allow you to use coupons anymore.

By the time 50% off (of the 20% boost on the already inflated prices) came around it was slim pickings. I only grabbed a couple sets at 50% since there was so little left.

Hopefully your store follows a different model.

I'm not sure if they fixed it, but I loaded about 20 of those $10 off $50 coupons in my account at the time and they applied at every checkout.

On 9/22/2017 at 8:33 AM, Phil B said:

Rumors are swirling about a major announcement coming up from SHC. Speculation is that this is about a merger of the two brands (Sears and KMart) with a possible elimination of presence in several states, or potentially moving one brand to online only. Might affect as much as 600 stores.

So you've been reading the same thread I have lol.

According to someone else with authority on the matter, the "Shop Your Way Superstore" concept that was in testing may be coming to play. With Elmhurst IL being a testing ground (would explain why they closed the Kmart there, it was top 10% in the chain)

• Like 1