UCS Millennium Falcon hits the $4000 mark in US

Jeff Mack

No lego set will EVER reach the 10 grand mark, that is all.

No bad vibes meant with this but t I would take a gentlemans bet with you on that :)

If in 5 years this lego set hasnt sold for 10k I will paypal you a beer (max value £5) and if it does you do the same.

• Like 2

The story about the 2 men escaping prison in New York has been fascinating.  And so are the confessions coming from the one that was recaptured.

I heard today that the original plan involved a different getaway vehicle.  One of the inmates had been saving his $0.17/hour laundry wages for years.  Then he traded some "favors" to the librarian to use the computer.  He ordered a LEGO UCS Millennium Falcon from Amazon for only $6,000, and he planned to fly it to freedom!

Shortly thereafter, however, tragedy struck:  his order was cancelled for reasons as yet unknown!  He was unable to secure another UCS MF, and was forced to hatch a new getaway plan that we are now familiar with.

But he never forgot the Falcon; it haunted him.  And Canada isn't too far from New York!  Thus began his second attempt to acquire the Falcon, this time on foot!  Alas, it wasn't meant to be. 

Third time's the charm?

P.S. $6,000 would buy a nice Sleep Number bed.

• Like 9

No bad vibes meant with this but t I would take a gentlemans bet with you on that :)

If in 5 years this lego set hasnt sold for 10k I will paypal you a beer (max value £5) and if it does you do the same.

deal!

This brings me back to the Canadian LEGO Shop at Home 10179 pricing error(?) back in 2010:

Untitled.thumb.png.ccbc8599a372e8a397199

Sadly even then i thought this was too much for LEGO :(

Dat dropship price doe!

• Like 3

I'll also take a gentleman's bet on this if there's another taker. :codemafia: If I can't sell mine for 10K USD (~12K CAD, fees included) in 2 years (Ebay or Amazon), I'll buy you a beer, :derisive: or the other way around :)

• Like 1

I believe a few of those AFA graded Falcons sold for around $10.000. They were Buy It Nows for $12,000.

That's an interesting angle i hadn't considered. Do you factor AFA graded examples in to your price guide? I could see that argument going both ways.

An AFA graded example is a whole other beast. By that i mean, an AFA 10.0 Falcon might be worth 10k, but that has almost no relevance on the price of a run-of-the-mill falcon in good condition at 4k. In the baseball card world there are a million common cards from the 1960's and 70's in condition 6-8, and they're worth a few cents each.  But if you have one in 10.0 condition its worth hundreds if not thousands. Now should that ONE in a million card that just happens to be in immaculate condition impact the average price of all the other common condition cards? I don't think so. 

The cost of grading alone (plus shipping to and from, and insurance) will keep this practice minimized in Lego for a while, but i'm curious do you actively remove AFA listings, or let them stay in because, well, they're valid set listings.

Edited by mudcatsfan

That's an interesting angle i hadn't considered. Do you factor AFA graded examples in to your price guide? I could see that argument going both ways.

An AFA graded example is a whole other beast. But,,,,it would be incomplete to not list them.

The cost of grading alone (plus shipping to and from, and insurance) will keep this practice minimized in Lego for a while, but i'm curious do you actively remove AFA listings, or let them stay in because, well, they're valid set listings.

They shouldn't be included. Those items are embellished, and you are paying for the additional item/service (plus, I don't believe that many of those transactions are valid anyway).

• Like 2

I believe a few of those AFA graded Falcons sold for around $10.000. They were Buy It Nows for $12,000.

Enough of this lego chatter, in all seriousness im sure someone must owe Brickson and I a beer by now?

j/k ;)

They shouldn't be included. Those items are embellished, and you are paying for the additional item/service (plus, I don't believe that many of those transactions are valid anyway).

A few of them were I believe.  I asked Jeff to try and dig them up.

What criteria were used in grading the set ?  Did they open the box to see the inside or was the grade for the quality of the box only ?  If they opened the box, it could not be listed as MISB anymore

What criteria were used in grading the set ?  Did they open the box to see the inside or was the grade for the quality of the box only ?  If they opened the box, it could not be listed as MISB anymore

They definately don't open the box.

http://www.toygrader.com/

It's very popular with vintage figures where you can see the figure in the bubble, but less so with sealed boxes where you can't SEE the contents. I've always been weirded out by that.

I even opened a vintage A-Wing once to prove it was actually in there. Seller thought i was nuts. Financially it was a bad decision, but i needed to KNOW it was in there. Will be interesting to see if Lego investors in the future have similar thoughts.

That was always my issue with these large AFA graded sets.  How do you know you didn't buy a box of Mega Bloks or rocks?  I had Jeff take a look and he told me that Brick Envy was the seller and several did sell for $10-12K, but he said the deals were never completed.  They were probably sold for more than your standard 10179, but what price exactly, I do not know.  He was a member here so maybe he can let us know one day.