UCS Millennium Falcon hits the $4000 mark in US

Jeff Mack

The latest price guide update is still running (actually has a while to go).  I always pick a few sets to go through and look at the data manually and run it ahead of time to see how the crawlers did.   The price guide update will include all of May as well as June listings up to June 23rd.  This will at least catch us up and get some of you a little more current than we were.  I will update the other days next week sometime when the rest of June is available.

Anyhow, the #10179 actually it the $4,000 mark last month and is still holding for June as well.  I guess this could be because the latest version of the the Falcon is not a UCS killer.  I also see that the SSD is creeping closer to the $800 mark. A few of the other sets like Town Hall, Haunted House, R2-D2 have not changed much.  Maybe its summer time and as fall comes around, we will see more action on those. Hard to tell right now.   

It will be interesting to see if the MF will be able to stay at this level or continue to go up as the movie release nears.

813WP04Ex2S._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Jeff Mack
  • Like 3

I saw that a few minutes ago. Damn son. The $2400 I paid early this year for my used 1st edition built once is not hurting so much these days. Used prices are rising nicely too.

EDIT: I had been looking at recent Ebay sales. Some NIB over $4000 up to $5000. However my updated Brickfolio says my used 10179 dropped a bit. :mda:

Edited by CC-Marley

Crazy, anybody with these should definitely keep an eye out for news of a remake. If Lego ever does release a new version, you`re looking at thousands in losses potentially. But that said, it`s amazing growth no questions. If you bought 10 of these way back when and sold them now, you could buy yourself a pretty nice vehicle. A Mercedes if you bought 20 :money: 

Edited by @rtisan

Crazy, anybody with these should definitely keep an eye out for news of a remake. If Lego ever does release a new version, you`re looking at thousands in losses potentially. But that said, it`s amazing growth no questions. If you bought 10 of these way back when and sold them now, you could buy yourself a pretty nice vehicle. A Mercedes if you bought 20 :money: 

Or a Bentley if you buy the same kinda quantity as emazers  :P

• Like 1

Interestingly I accidentally sold mine for 6k on Amazon. I cancelled the order. I'm holding out for the next year or two. I won't be surprised if it hits 10-15k.

I think you are crazy :)   I would have taken the $6k and said thank you have a nice day.  $10k, well I will never say never, but I don't know about that unless you find "the one" (the one person that might have nothing better to do with their money and has no idea how to shop for a cheaper price)

• Like 2

With the number of folks willing to pay $4000 for this set, it would blow my mind if Lego didn't decide they wanted in on the action. 

They've already set precedent and re-done the UCS X-wing. 

I get that most people  won't spend $400-600 for a lego set,,,, but apparently some will pay $4000 :)

How do you accidentally sell something?

I guess he thought $6000 was the target sell price he would be happy with when he listed the set on amazon. Now with the rise in prices, the sold price is actually not correct anymore but someone bought it before he got the opportunity to change the new target price. Hence the sale was accidental because he did not want to sell at $6000. Anyway I think he will regret not selling it at $6000!
  • Like 1

Wow, that's twice the UK value. I wish I took my last one in a suitcase to sell when I went to PHX recently.

I saw that myself and spent a bit of time going through the listings and looking for anomalies, etc.  If there is one set that I know is pretty much dead on, its this one.   I was even doing extra searches looking for listings with odd titles, etc.  I am not sure why there is such a difference.

I think you are crazy :)   I would have taken the $6k and said thank you have a nice day.  $10k, well I will never say never, but I don't know about that unless you find "the one" (the one person that might have nothing better to do with their money and has no idea how to shop for a cheaper price)

I may be crazy. I'm a gambler, an avid poker player. I look at this set like a pair of aces with an insurance policy. I can't count how many times I've seen pocket aces lose. However, if you're persistent, it's a statistically sound play. If they do announce a new UCS, they set isn't likely to just immediately drop, giving time to get out, and when it does come out, I expect it would bounce back to at least 50% of what it was going for. That's the insurance policy. It's not like a new one comes out and the old one is worth nothing. So I have the potential of this set dropping 50%, or increasing to who knows, the moon? 

• Largest Star Wars set, 2nd largest LEGO set
  • New movie on the horizon, which looks awesome (cross fingers). With way more adults are collecting Lego than ever, and a new generation of kids coming into the new SW movie 
  • Huge APR thus far
  • Regarded as *the collectors item* for anyone interested in Lego/SW, which is a lot of people
  • Most people have sold by now. Likely even emazers cashed out a lot by now, or didn't have that many to begin with (I don't recall him mentioning he had a bunch stocked, just that he wished he had more?)
  • I don't believe releasing a new MF UCS is in the best interest of their bottom line. They can make more money on smaller sets, quicker sales. They don't want to piss off people who already have 10179 either, so it should be fairly different, but how different can you really make it? It's kind of a cop out. They already did a great job on 10179. And I don't think things like "oh but we can take investors for a ride like Live Star if we release a new one" are ever mentioned in meetings. Maybe they think about us, sometimes, but I very much doubt they talk about us.

If you got in at MSRP, I'm sure you're feeling scared and want to cash in on your profits. I didn't get in at MSRP. But either way, if you look at it analytically, I think it's still a very sound investment, if not one of the best ones out there. Heck people were buying 5 Death Stars (equivalent) they have no idea would even die until a couple months ago, and those who did in the last 7 years have been seeing no profit - that seems like the opposite of what I want.

^ I have to disagree. If you are purely in this for the money, then that 6K could have been put into a much better investment. Heck, I would feel better with 6K in the stock market than the MF at this point. If it is re-released, and the new one is better (Big if, I know) then I can see the price falling, and falling hard. Also you have to consider ho much higher will it go, and at what pace.

Which would you rather have:

1. 1 UCS Millennium Falcon or 28 X-Wings?
  2. 1 UCS Millennium Falcon or 22 Ewok Villages?
  3. 1 UCS Millennium Falcon or 35+ Modular Buildings?
  4. ...

I don't see how that is even close.

Two years from now any of the three examples will have easily doubled in value. Will your Falcon be over $12,000 at that point?

Edited by Follows Closely
  • Like 4

^ I have to disagree. If you are purely in this for the money, then that 6K could have been put into a much better investment. Heck, I would feel better with 6K in the stock market than the MF at this point. If it is re-released, and the new one is better (Big if, I know) then I can see the price falling, and falling hard. Also you have to consider ho much higher will it go, and at what pace.

Which would you rather have:

1. 1 UCS Millennium Falcon or 28 X-Wings?
  2. 1 UCS Millennium Falcon or 22 Ewok Villages?
  3. 1 UCS Millennium Falcon or 35+ Modular Buildings?
  4. ...

I don't see how that is even close.

Two years from now any of the three examples will have easily doubled in value. Will your Falcon be over $12,000 at that point?

I almost always take your side of this type of argument (easier for 2 set to go up 50, then 1 set to go up 100), but since i was debating myself on the topic today i'll play the other side.

Storage space and transaction time needed for 28 X-wings or just 1 Falcon? There's some value to that. especially if you say, well how about 4 falcons vs 112 UCS X-wings.

It essentially allows you to play high-stakes lego investing without having to own a warehouse, and you only have to ebay 4 times vs 112.

Just devil's advocate.

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 1

I almost always take your side of this type of argument (easier for 2 set to go up 50, then 1 set to go up 100), but since i was debating myself on the topic today i'll play the other side.

Storage space and transaction time needed for 28 X-wings or just 1 Falcon? There's some value to that. especially if you say, well how about 4 falcons vs 112 UCS X-wings.

It essentially allows you to play high-stakes lego investing without having to own a warehouse, and you only have to ebay 4 times vs 112.

Just devil's advocate.

Playing reverse devils advocate, you are doing it wrong if you don't have your transaction time down to a science to process 28 X-Wings. I always laugh when I see this because really after the first one, you know exactly the size and weight and it should all be automatic. It takes just a couple of seconds to pack and generate a label.