CL scam

holleman67

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, Altecgt said:

She's back again. I lost $298.97. :(

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/tag/5945421218.html

1 minute ago, Phil B said:

Right at the bottom of the page. Emphasis mine. How did you get swindled?:

Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.

Exactly, how the heck you get scammed on CL? It's only for local deals!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have an update on this scammer? I've recently been a victim, myself, and am out $600. I also drove 6 hours one way, and then 6 hours back like a complete imbecile to the fake address that was provided to me for pick up. I'm not looking for berating comments -- I'm well aware I've made a completely idiotic spur-of-the-moment decision but am filing an official police report tomorrow with all of the contact information that I have. Does ANYONE have any additional information I can gather? My witch hunt has lead me to finding her location potentially around the Cincinnati area and my reverse IP look up through her email was somewhat promising as well.

Does anyone have an update on this scammer? I've recently been a victim, myself, and am out $600. I also drove 6 hours one way, and then 6 hours back like a complete imbecile to the fake address that was provided to me for pick up. I'm not looking for berating comments -- I'm well aware I've made a completely idiotic spur-of-the-moment decision but am filing an official police report tomorrow with all of the contact information that I have. Does ANYONE have any additional information I can gather? My witch hunt has lead me to finding her location potentially around the Cincinnati area and my reverse IP look up through her email was somewhat promising as well.

I haven't seen this post locally for a while. I am guessing it got too hot perhaps. Hopefully you have some luck- not sure the details of how you lost but I remember being excited when I saw those posts

Over the course of my Hardy Boys witch hunt, I've been able to gather the last four digits of her bank account number, her current bank, two email addresses, her phone number, and (like I mentioned) a potential lead on her previous (or current) address. I'm livid. And humiliated. I have no idea how cyber crime investigations work so I'm terrified that, even after all of this sleuthing, my money is a goner. At this point it's not even about the money. I just want this sack of **** caught.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dewey093 said:

Over the course of my Hardy Boys witch hunt, I've been able to gather the last four digits of her bank account number, her current bank, two email addresses, her phone number, and (like I mentioned) a potential lead on her previous (or current) address. I'm livid. And humiliated. I have no idea how cyber crime investigations work so I'm terrified that, even after all of this sleuthing, my money is a goner. At this point it's not even about the money. I just want this sack of **** caught.

I hope you find them. Give that information to the police and I'm sure they will turn up eventually. Then take em to court ;)

On 1/19/2017 at 8:59 PM, NIevo said:
Still trying to figure out how you were scammed though?

As having almost been a victim of this late last year I can give some insight at least from my perspective. Conman or girl says they are moving leaving town and will be in another region. They say they don't use the internet in any financial transacting manner...basically act as if they are naive to the ongoings of the online world. This leaves credence to the fact that perhaps they really don't know the value of the item and that is your good fortune as you see it! You make an agreement to deposit money into their account or wire transfer and they will ship it to you or provide some fake address. A combination of greed on the buyer and the conmans ability to feed it makes it an ongoing scam.

Edited by LegoBro