Lego Games

TheOrcKing

I recently purchased from Target and then built the City Alarm game. I must say it's simply fun! The rules take very little time to get used to and the fact you can 'alter' certain ones for different play mechanics keeps it interesting for quite a while. I also like Frog Rush and all the Heroica sets too. (Those are really cool when you have all of them connected together for one BIG map!) I really like how even though you are playing against one another, there really isn't that 'competitive' edge. I don't know, I just don't have that 'you lose, I win, Haha!' feeling that I have with other games.

So I was wondering if anybody else likes these tabletop games that Lego comes up with? For investment, a couple sets are performing okay so far. I think some of the bigger or very difficult to find ones will fare better in the secondary market.

I think I'd like to play it, but I'm waiting for my son to get a bit older. He's only 4. I think that the LEGO games are still too advanced for him. Thoughts?

Well, I had to see for myself how the Ninjago board game actually played and I wouldn't recommend that at all which is disappointing. I watched the "How to Play" video and it seemed interesting but there is just way too much going on to keep track of and everything is against you! I can't keep the brickbuilt 'spinner' to stay on the table to save my life (it really just wants to go wherever it feels like), you cannot make a single move without a skeleton guard blocking your path or the skeleton general taking yet another step towards your doom! The constantly forced battles just added to the tedious frustration of it all. Honestly, this feels like a board game trying to be a video game which might have worked in that medium actually.

Out of all the LEGO Games I have played I would not recommend the Ninjago board game at all. I also wouldn't recommend Sunblock either. At age four, most of these may be a little too advanced but I can think of a couple that are fairly straight forward.

Minotaurus

Basic goal of getting one of your guys to the center of the hedge maze. Applies some strategy. It is a pretty big game, so it's no wonder there's the smaller Mini-Taurus version, which so far has only been released in the UK it would seem.

Heroica (all of them!)

It's LEGO Dungeons & Dragons but a lot simpler. No wierd stats to keep track of.

City Alarm

I really love this one! Basically a 'cops & robbers' game.

Pirate Plank

Monster 4

I think these two are the easiest of all the LEGO "Games" to play, but still fun.

Lego has a pretty good list of Games to choose from. I've only found a couple that were mediocre at best.

• 1 month later...

I am fairly new to this and have noticed that all the Heroica sets have been retired along with the Harry Potter game and Minotaurus. The Heroica sets in particular are also experiencing heavy discounting. I could pick up a bunch at half off at my local Walmart. Do these sets have any investment potential are would it be a waste of money and space to stock up on them? I couldn't seem to find any blog posts or forum discussion about them.

The Games line started in 2009 so it has not been around all that long. Rather difficult to gauge on the overall worth of this line. I like all of them myself, for the game itself and/or included parts. Magikus and Monster 4 have had some okay sales on eBay. The ones that are very difficult to find (region or store exclusives) will probably the best investment options for this theme. Altogether, the line just feels like too much of a gamble for any one set to become valuable enough to even cover the initial investment. I would put stock into a couple but not many.

I forgot....Star Wars Game 2013 will be a winner.....not sold in US (MSRP 24.99? Correct me)...already $60.00 on eBay. What do u think?

That one, definitely. If I had only one Games set to put money on, the Star Wars: Battle of Hoth would be it. You can thank Hasbro and their exclusive rights to Star Wars themed board games in the US for that. (That still is weird.) Not sure what the price would be in US dollars, I only know it sold for 24.99 euro normally in the UK. Is anyone good with converting money?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It was too hard to pass up on 1/2 off a Lego item so I have a few sets but I didn't stockpile and buy them all. If the Heroica sets at least get back up to retail after the heavy discounting surrounding their eol I should do fine.

Don't think they are investment winners. Most of the games don't have the things that make them attractive as investment winners: no proper minifigs, not a great parts selection etc. The only ones which might appreciate are the themed games: SW, Hobbit, Harry Potter. From a gaming point of view, they are generally light and not all that fun to play either! If you have a young kid and want to pick some up at 1/2 off to play, they're not bad. Otherwise I'd put my money into other sets.

• 2 weeks later...

LEGO Games not good for investment (just don't appreciate at all)....I got a lot of Monster 4 game (got it year or more ago for 2.98 shop.lego.com) they are still 10-12 and hard to sell. Same with all other games too, not sure. People getting games just before Xmas time...only hope on price spike like last 2012 Xmas ( shortage in stores and online) on Creationary game. It was huge!!! - price go up to 79.99 (check eBay sold items). Happens rarely.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the advice. The heroica set search came up with results immediately. I think I might try unloading mine at a buy it now bundle as a complete set. Since it was all purchased at a discount getting 75.00 for the lot is a good return for the sets for me. Woot!

• 1 month later...

As a hedge, I just bought the STAR WARS, HARRY POTTER, Ninjago and THE HOBBIT. Not a big fan, but the Hoth game is already $60 on eBay and I bought them on Amazon for $40. http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Games-Star-Wars-Battle/dp/B005WGIQ44?SubscriptionId=AKIAJQSYTIGRBKVM26KQ&&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B005WGIQ44