Architecture 2016

Today, names for the 2016 sets leaked (http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-2016-set-name-listings-on-amazon-de/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LegoEverlasting-LegoReviewsNews+(The+Brick+Fan+-+LEGO+Reviews+%26+News)). This is in German, but translated, the new architecture sets are:

Venice (21026) – EUR 29.99
Berlin (21027) – EUR 29.99
New York City (21028) – EUR 49.99
Burj Khalifa (21031) – EUR 39.99

Now - this alone wouldn't be worth a new thread, but there are two things odd in this list. Can you spot them? Also, something seems to change in terms of the line. Most of these aren't specific buildings, but cities. Interesting...

Today, names for the 2016 sets leaked (http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-2016-set-name-listings-on-amazon-de/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LegoEverlasting-LegoReviewsNews+(The+Brick+Fan+-+LEGO+Reviews+%26+News)). This is in German, but translated, the new architecture sets are:

Venice (21026) – EUR 29.99
Berlin (21027) – EUR 29.99
New York City (21028) – EUR 49.99
Burj Khalifa (21031) – EUR 39.99

Now - this alone wouldn't be worth a new thread, but there are two things odd in this list. Can you spot them? Also, something seems to change in terms of the line. Most of these aren't specific buildings, but cities. Interesting...

It is possible that the city names represent a presently unnamed building in the city, because you couldn't build a New York streetscape or skyline at that price point.

Venice specifically intrigues me. I'm trying to figure out if there is a signature building in Venice?

Doge's Palace?

I agree that these seem to be placeholder names for specific sites within the cities but they already made a set for Burj Khalifa so that doesn't make sense.

Burj Al-Arab?

Maybe it's going to be Burj Khalifa UCS

Wouldn't it have another number then? 21031 is "in line", although there is this gap of two sets without name too... Intriguing.

What could it be for Berlin - they did the Brandenburg Gate already. The Reichstag maybe? Or the TV tower? I would guess one of the two.

It is possible that the city names represent a presently unnamed building in the city, because you couldn't build a New York streetscape or skyline at that price point.

No way does that mean they are building a miniature city.  It's just a placeholder for a building in the city.  The only one that kind of irks me is a remade Burj Khalifa.  So much for the one's i'm sitting on hitting 5x.  Guess it's time to go dump.  This set is just at a price point almost double the original one.  So my guess is it has more pieces, probably a little better structural design, and looks more authentic.  But, not UCS at around 40.00..

Edited by fossilrock

Wouldn't it have another number then? 21031 is "in line", although there is this gap of two sets without name too... Intriguing.

What could it be for Berlin - they did the Brandenburg Gate already. The Reichstag maybe? Or the TV tower? I would guess one of the two.

Or the Berlin Wall :jester:

By the way, how would those price points correspond to USD?

Edited by teohwp85

At $29.99, that would be one sparse Reichstag. To do that building justice, I would expect a far higher price point. Considering LEGO's aversion to all things controversial, I think they'd shy away from a building that intertwined with the rise of the Third Reich. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with TV tower.

At $29.99, that would be one sparse Reichstag. To do that building justice, I would expect a far higher price point.

I'd go with TV tower.

I agree, because of the price. I don't think there would be enough controversy for the Reichstag. Lego did the Brandenburger Tor too, after all. Anyway: the TV tower could look something like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49393556@N07/6007524969/in/photostream/

• Like 1

Venice could also be Ponte dei Sospiri (Bridge of Sighs) which is also right next to the Belltower in the Vegas pic.

For New York I could imagine either One World Trade Center or the Chrysler Building and I would be hoping for the later...or maybe a mini statue of Liberty?

Edited by TigerG

I think the Bridge of Sighs for Venice and TV Tower for Berlin are good bets.

Burj Khalifa is an odd one. I hope we're not going to start seeing remakes in this line already. That would really suck.

Disappointed not to see any larger sets in the list also. They seem to be aiming at a €50 ceiling for this line now.

Disappointed not to see any larger sets in the list also. They seem to be aiming at a €50 ceiling for this line now.

I noticed the same thing. This leads me to believe that the larger Arch sets do not sell well. There hasn't been a big one since Imperial Hotel. This is disappointing because all of the larger ones are my favorites.

I hope the architecture set is the original World Trade Center.  Seems to be that price point, that could be done like the Rockefeller Center.  Someone has done a good moc of one:

http://www.blandesign.com/design/sample_16/

The other large building i'd love to see is the Chrysler Building.  When it comes to architecture, that is the epitome of great buildings. 

I agree, because of the price. I don't think there would be enough controversy for the Reichstag. Lego did the Brandenburger Tor too, after all. Anyway: the TV tower could look something like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49393556@N07/6007524969/in/photostream/

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see the Reichstag, I just wouldn't want to see LEGO's $30 version of it. I like that tower though, and TLG does have experience with phallic monuments...

Tower makes sense as a Space Needle replacement. NY building replaces ESB.

These price points look promising. I think $30-$50 is the sweet spot for these sets with enough pieces to give a detailed model but small enough to fit on an office desk/shelf. I put together Big Ben and Flatiron recently--great sets.

No way does that mean they are building a miniature city.  It's just a placeholder for a building in the city.  The only one that kind of irks me is a remade Burj Khalifa.  So much for the one's i'm sitting on hitting 5x.  Guess it's time to go dump.  This set is just at a price point almost double the original one.  So my guess is it has more pieces, probably a little better structural design, and looks more authentic.  But, not UCS at around 40.00..

It does suck for selling 21008 but personally, I'd love a somewhat more elaborate remake as I always thought 21008 was rather weak. And at a price point the same as Flatiron, I think it has some promise...