Architecture 2016

161 posts in this topic

I think a full scale Parliament building with Big Ben included would be a more interesting choice.

Westminster_Palace_2.jpg

3 people like this

Buckingham Palace looks similar to the Louvre, in that both are actually bigger, but the designer has interpreted that brick size vs. Price point makes a smaller segment better

If you want Big Ben plus Houses of Parliament, take the existing little Big Ben & get MOCing!

The Capital is awesome and a must buy. I thought Buckingham Palace was the Louvre when I first looked at it. Kinda boring.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Seal Cutter said:

Buckingham Palace looks similar to the Louvre, in that both are actually bigger, but the designer has interpreted that brick size vs. Price point makes a smaller segment better

If you want Big Ben plus Houses of Parliament, take the existing little Big Ben & get MOCing!

Probably the really large sets are reserved for creator expert series. Though i wonder why do buckingham palace? I dont quite see the architectural significance of this building.

2 people like this

These new sets are great additions to the LEGO Architecture series.  This has been a great year for the LEGO Architecture series, with 6 sets announced so far.  (2011 is the only other year with 6 new sets.)

I just prepared a lengthy preview of both sets with some initial analysis.  That review includes photos of the real buildings as well so you can make your own judgement.  I've shared some of the highlights from the article below...

combined-600x207.jpg

Buckingham Palace and US Capitol Building LEGO Set boxes. (Photos from promobricks.de)

Buckingham Palace:

lego-architecture-capitol-21029_2-Edited

Buckingham Palace model as displayed at Nuremberg (photo from promobricks.de)

Upon a closer look, we see a base which is 26 studs wide, 24 studs deep, and about 8 bricks tall, not including the flagpole. (By contrast, The Louvre set has a base which is just 22 studs wide, the same 24 studs deep, and is a little taller at around 12 bricks high.)

As such, my best guess (without attempting to build sections of the model using my own bricks) is that the Buckingham Palace will be 800 bricks and a price of 79.99$

United States Capitol Building:

lego-architecture-capitol-21030_3-Edited

Perspective view of LEGO US Capitol Building model. (Photo from promobricks.de)

This is a really exciting model with proportions which look like they are very true to the real building.  The high level of detail is really appealing to me, although the over-reliance on part #4070 – 1×1 Brick w/ Headlight may make the build process very repetitive.

By my count, the base is 48 studs wide and 14 studs deep, with the bulk of the model about 6 bricks tall, and the tallest portion is around 17 bricks tall.  I think this will be the second largest set in the LEGO Architecture series, with around 1300 pieces and a price of 129.99$

For more detailed analysis, read the whole article I just posted at brickarchitect.com.

Sincerely,

---Tom Alphin

6 people like this

I do have to say I was starting to wonder about the higher dollar architecture sets.  It's been a couple of years, and with the few releases of late, and all small ones, I thought they may have abandoned that idea.  I guess I was wrong.  My wife loves the architecture series, and both of these buildings are going to have to be day one buys for her.

I especially love the scale of the capitol building.  Fantastic looking model.  I bet it's impressive in person.

The new US Capitol and  Buckingham Palace are shown as on backorder until 9/19 on LSAH. Six new Architecture sets in 2016. More than the last two combined.

5 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I'm sorry, what's this part mean?

That 2014-2015 were a bit dry, as far as new sets were concerned, i assumed was the meaning

2 people like this

Yeah, not only did they release more "normal" Arch sets than previously, they also introduced a new line of skyline sets.

The skyline sets probably for 2017 are Sydney/Chicago/London in that model number order, so it's maybe likely that Sydney is the $30 set, London is a $60 set and who knows about Chicago.