75105 - Millennium Falcon

shortyz

Any comparisons out there yet on the 7965 vs. 75105, in terms of build, size, etc?  I doubt this would have any real effect in terms of investment value, both appear similar in size... similar piece count... I'm just curious that's all.  The newer one does look a little odd to me... a little disproportional maybe?  I see on Lego website it says the new one is 12" x 18" x 5"... and the older was "over 15 inches wide and 4 inches tall" ?  Was the 7965 longer?

I saw the display case model today.  I could not really tell the differences with 7965 unless I was looking for them.

I don't own either of these, nor have I had the chance to build either of these. Having just watched both those speedbuilds, from an end-user perspective, I actually prefer the new one. Interior detailing is much better imo, which is one of the parts I really enjoy about building Modulars. Not sure if that's useful input for those holding 7965 right now, kids probably won't care, but I think the 70105 maybe has more AFOL appeal because of the detailing.  

I agree, it seems the main changes are some printed parts inside. Kids won´t care and it´s not kids who will be getting a 2x MSRP MF with a normal variant available. For the AFOL market, we just have to wait and see how the new one is received and perceived.

If and when they redo the DS, it could be a similar thing - a few new specific parts box art and figs but the rest is the same. That seems to be the way Lego are working right now.

comparison photoshoot 7965 and 75105

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=pcb.879677092100762&type=1

Got to say that for kiddies, the added value of the new missile shooters is the main selling point.

I think the kiddies will also be more excited to get characters from the most recent movie, instead of that stuffy old Star Wars that their dad likes. I think all of the stickers/printed pieces would draw them if you gave the kids a Coke challenge and asked which they like better. To be honest, I think what is going to win the race on sales for these is which is cheaper. I could see them hitting a similar price point once this set is retired and the only true decider being which set of characters the end user wants.

My first thought seeing the leaked image of 75105 MF was that... 'LEGO really sucks'... how can they so shameless releasing a model almost looks identical to one that just retired. Well, not that they haven't done so in the past, but I really have to pull two sets' images together to catch the differences. Anyway, then the 2nd thought was... 'Crap... my 7965 is going to be screwed...'

I really have to ask. How is this Lego fault? they made a perfect reproduction of the Falcon in the new movie. This is JJ's decision to reuse the Falcon not Lego.

This is like when people blamed Lego for making a toy that looks like a religious site. When all they did was copy Jabba's palace from a movie made in 1983.

• Like 4

Watching Jang's review, most of the updates that LEGO made fixed the weaknesses of 7965.  I always hate how flimsy the round radar dish and both quad turrets are.  Those fall off at the slightest touch on 7965.  Too bad they still could not make the landing gears fold in for flying / take off

You mean for swooshing?

This is already "Will ship in 30 days" on LEGO Shop at Home... will this be the next Mystery Machine for the holiday season?

we have 15th Sept which I guess will advance to this Friday. Seems they were over optimistic with their F40 and Ninago temple forecast and didn´t make enough MFs or Wall E´s. Bodes well for holiday season, I agree.

Just watched Jang's review.  I can see where it's annoying with how short the landing gear is and you can't even get figures to the landing ramp.  I'd think they could easily make some detachable landing gear, but oh well.  I think this could be easily modded to include some.

You can probably attach more technic beams to make the landing gear taller to accommodate the landing ramp.  Those landing gears can be detached but it is rather hard to with 1 hand holding the MF

• Like 1