20% off @ Smyths Toys

skanks

Has anyone read through the new Smyths catalogue?

It seems that in the past few years, Smyths dedicate approx 2 pages to star wars, most likely them showcasing the new releases / best sellers.

So the following sets were in last years catalogue but are not in this years, probably means nothing however still food for thought:

Imperial Assault Carrier 

Kylo Ren Shuttle

Imperial Shuttle Tydrium

FO Transporter

Death Star Final Duel

Poes Xwing

FO Tie Fighter

FO Snowspeeder

Rey Speeder

Buildable figures

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mhd747 said:

It seems that in the past few years, Smyths dedicate approx 2 pages to star wars, most likely them showcasing the new releases / best sellers.

So the following sets were in last years catalogue but are not in this years, probably means nothing however still food for thought:

Imperial Assault Carrier 

Kylo Ren Shuttle

Imperial Shuttle Tydrium

FO Transporter

Death Star Final Duel

Poes Xwing

FO Tie Fighter

FO Snowspeeder

Rey Speeder

Buildable figures

That looks like a 2016 retirement list to me.

12 hours ago, Mhd747 said:

Imperial Assault Carrier 

Kylo Ren Shuttle

Imperial Shuttle Tydrium

FO Transporter

Death Star Final Duel

Poes Xwing

FO Tie Fighter

FO Snowspeeder

Rey Speeder

Buildable figures

And a number of these missing from recent the Argos catalogs.

12 hours ago, Val-E said:

That looks like a 2016 retirement list to me.

Gotta agree with you for them - timing seems standard.  Thought they might keep the tie around.... just because its a tie.  
But it could just me falling into the conformation bias trap and they just don't have enough space to promote everything and logic says leave out the old stuff people are already aware of and push the new merchandise.

• 1 month later...

Couldn't find another smyths topic so thought I post here.

Seems like the recent  £10 off voucher has cleared Indominus rex from my local Smyths, which is quite surprising as at one point they had a full racks worth. Manager said they don't expect anymore deliveries of Jurassic world sets but we all know how smyths have been in the past...

Ewok Village and pet shop still available. I don't even think they sold a single set judging by the same layout they had as last week at my local.

• 8 months later...

Given that Smyths annual 20% sale is only a few weeks away I've been looking at what I should buy and this year's pickings are very slim compared to other years. With buy ins needing to be lower and lower to make a return, the 20% really isn't an enticement anymore.

Maybe Slave 1 which doesn't get discounted anywhere else or the Snowspeeder for own use. Even with Slave 1 I wonder whether the bigger sets are even worth investing in anymore, when you can rinse and repeat a lot more on smaller sets with much higher discounts.

3 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Given that Smyths annual 20% sale is only a few weeks away I've been looking at what I should buy and this year's pickings are very slim compared to other years. With buy ins needing to be lower and lower to make a return, the 20% really isn't an enticement anymore.

Maybe Slave 1 which doesn't get discounted anywhere else or the Snowspeeder for own use. Even with Slave 1 I wonder whether the bigger sets are even worth investing in anymore, when you can rinse and repeat a lot more on smaller sets with much higher discounts.

Yeah, thinking of grabbing a snow speeder too for a personal build. Funds are low this year compared to last year so won't be going mad buying S1's. 

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I agree, 20% hardly seems worth getting out of bed for. Judging by all of last year´s exclusives, there are definitely easier and better pickings lower down the foodchain. Roll on Tesco and Argos November madness.

20% doesn't seem too attractive for anything really. 

3 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

Yeah, thinking of grabbing a snow speeder too for a personal build. Funds are low this year compared to last year so won't be going mad buying S1's. 

20% doesn't seem too attractive for anything really. 

Only for stuff that is already retired and doing well but then most of that should be sold out by now anyway.

Over here, the summer clearance offers are now minimum 50% going up to 75% off. Shows that there is still way too much stock in shops.

30 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

I think you’re seeing the poor set selection this year, rather than poor discounts.  I was more than happy picking up JW and scoobs with 20% last year.  

Agree there isn't much of interest at the moment  though.   

27 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I agree, 20% hardly seems worth getting out of bed for. 

Part of the problem is that Lego haven't given us themes worth picking up at 20%, last year I picked up Jurassic World sets during the 20% sale, they hadn't been discounted much anywhere else. I was buying Indominus Rex instead of Pet Shops

4 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Part of the problem is that Lego haven't given us themes worth picking up at 20%, last year I picked up Jurassic World sets during the 20% sale, they hadn't been discounted much anywhere else. I was buying Indominus Rex instead of Pet Shops

You´d pass on the retired Elves sets or 2hy16 Bionicles at 20% off?

Picard-Wtf.jpg

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Only for stuff that is already retired and doing well but then most of that should be sold out by now anyway.

Over here, the summer clearance offers are now minimum 50% going up to 75% off. Shows that there is still way too much stock in shops.

I'm sure to have a look for something retired in my local smyths, but won't be going out of my way for anything big. I know they have an EV or two but I think I'll pass.

Some deep discounts in España. Might have to call the in-laws. Where are you getting those deals? PM if you want