40138 - Holiday Train

Loghamel

After seeing the higher resolution pictures of this set, along with the initial pictures of 40139 Gingerbread House, I can't help but wonder what happened with the main winter village release this year.  Both of these freebie sets have candy all over them, and it certainly seems like they would have paired well with a candy/sweet shop, which was heavily rumored before the toy shop re-release was confirmed.  Makes me think that perhaps the original plan was to have a candy/sweet shop this year, but those plans were changed because 1) design resources were shifted to TFA stuff or 2) TLG made the conscious decision to bring back the toy shop, feeling that it would be a better set to follow up and capitalize upon the popularity of Santa's Workshop.

Edited by Dr Jedi
  • Like 1

The Brick Fan website is reporting that the October x2 VIP points has been extended from Oct 1-14 which would be nice because the Train promo starts on the 13th and would be nice to get both.  Will wait and see though for the official announcement.

source http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-october-2015-double-vip-points-extended/

LOL @ "extended" as opposed to "misprinted"

• Like 1

The Brick Fan website is reporting that the October x2 VIP points has been extended from Oct 1-14 which would be nice because the Train promo starts on the 13th and would be nice to get both.  Will wait and see though for the official announcement.

source http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-october-2015-double-vip-points-extended/

My thoughts exactly.  Would be really nice to get 2X VIP points and a free 200+ piece set, even if there are no minifigures.  I really hope this turns out to be accurate info.  Then I'll just have to hope that the Thanksgiving set will hang on until the 13th.

So I have to say, the more I think about it, the more I am not a fan of these Christmas promos. They don't fit in with with the winter village theme at all.  This bothers me because all if the others really could be added.  With the remake in 10249 and these I think my seasonal investing is over besides 10245.  These have no figs, are stand alone.  It just doesn't sit with me right.  I know everyone seems to want these, but they don't fit in.  It is a change, a minor one, but still when added as a whole I think it is telling of a change in direction.  Not worth risking a ban over in terms of order strategy at Lego.com.  Of course OMI.

So I have to say, the more I think about it, the more I am not a fan of these Christmas promos. They don't fit in with with the winter village theme at all.  This bothers me because all if the others really could be added.  With the remake in 10249 and these I think my seasonal investing is over besides 10245.  These have no figs, are stand alone.  It just doesn't sit with me right.  I know everyone seems to want these, but they don't fit in.  It is a change, a minor one, but still when added as a whole I think it is telling of a change in direction.  Not worth risking a ban over in terms of order strategy at Lego.com.  Of course OMI.

Overthinking it, perhaps?

30286-1.jpg?201505270813

$_57.JPG

51bX5EGMFuL._SX466_.jpg

lego-creator-mini-figure-set-30028-chris

• Like 5

In case some folks don't pay attention to the news feed on the front page (and you should because it's very good), the instructions for the new holiday promo sets have been posted by Lego. 

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/lego-exclusive-set-instructions-online/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Brickfanatics+(Brick+Fanatics)

• Like 4