40138 - Holiday Train

Loghamel

Thank goodness!  This means I can give my wallet a rest until the next holiday promo...  

I've been thinking the same, except it's only three weeks till GH! Unlike many here, I have to turn over sets really quickly, I am just trying to build capital this year... That's why seasonal has been good to me. I'm close enough to two LEGO stores (soon to be three) that I can hit them all in one day. So between that and shop at home, I can load up a couple hundred dollars of small seasonal sets and then sell them off in pretty short order. It builds my feedback, I make a little money, everybody's happy.

Of course this years sets have been pretty special, not sure I can rely on this so heavily next year...

11 minutes ago, RTRC said:
So, I have three holiday trains, ordered 3 of each of the seasonal sets, and plan to get 3 gingerbread houses when the 27th comes. Once these all go, do I sell right before christmas as a combo or do I wait until next year?

Sell them when they hit your price point. Timing is the key.

13 minutes ago, longshot said:

Do these holiday sets tend to increase in value the following year or just fade away with little to no interest. Just wondering if I should move the ones I have to sit on em til next year. Possible combine with the gingerbread house soon to be released..........?

Judging from the prices on previous giveaway sets on amazon, i'd say no.  I think get the money now.

Mods, this may be better suited elsewhere, I couldn't find a general "selling on ebay FAQ" thread while searching, so posting it here as my question relates to a listing I have for this set...

When I go to my Selling tab I can see that I've got X views and Y watchers... In this case 24 and 3. However, when I go and search "lego 40138" to see all competitive listings, often I'll see listings with things like "4 Watching!" in bold red, and yet when I find my listing in the list, it doesn't show any watchers (despite having 3 right now). Is that because it's my listing, and I have the information elsewhere, or is something else at play like Top Rated Seller? 

2 hours ago, longshot said:

Do these holiday sets tend to increase in value the following year or just fade away with little to no interest. Just wondering if I should move the ones I have to sit on em til next year. Possible combine with the gingerbread house soon to be released..........?

If some do and some don't, I'd ask why do the ones that 'do' increase go up?  I don't see this set going down.  I've been wrong twice before, so take that with a grain of salt.  But very few of these promotions are boxed as nicely or display as well as this or the Gingerbread House.  I saw that one today in store and it's a great lookin house and it goes really well with the train.  That combo is going to do great.

• 10 months later...

I cant believe how well this one is doing even with the Winter train out.  Definitely one of the gems IMO of 2015.

Nice little build but cant really understand how its going for around £30!  I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that and given where it was selling last year this should probably have been expected but when you're looking at £50 for this and GBH as a package... its almost a 50% discount on the set bought to get these.  

Never underestimate the value of a promo even when having to pay RRP is the lesson I've learned here.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

I cant believe how well this one is doing even with the Winter train out.  Definitely one of the gems IMO of 2015.

Nice little build but cant really understand how its going for around £30!  I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that and given where it was selling last year this should probably have been expected but when you're looking at £50 for this and GBH as a package... its almost a 50% discount on the set bought to get these.  

Never underestimate the value of a promo even when having to pay RRP is the lesson I've learned here.

If only the value of the sets bought to get the promo were doing so well!

• Like 1