75144 - UCS: Snowspeeder

oneknightr

Don't really see the point of the two minifigs in this set to be honest. Not to scale with the ship, and just look odd plonked on the stand. I think I'll be leaving mine off as this is basically a display piece.

Loving the set overall though, it's a Day-1 purchase for me. I arrived too late in the game for the original UCS set, and it was too expensive for me to BrickLink it or buy a second-hand one.

Don't really see the point of the two minifigs in this set to be honest. Not to scale with the ship, and just look odd plonked on the stand. I think I'll be leaving mine off as this is basically a display piece.
Loving the set overall though, it's a Day-1 purchase for me. I arrived too late in the game for the original UCS set, and it was too expensive for me to BrickLink it or buy a second-hand one.

They did the same with the tumbler, and the figs look perfect on the display stand. Realistically not many of the UCS sets are to scale, the falcon, SD, they all come with minifigs that aren't to scale. The end of the day, Lego will always add a few figures to add that little extra play factor. If the figures are also exclusive to that set it's also great for collectors.

1 hour ago, Manse1001 said:

They did the same with the tumbler, and the figs look perfect on the display stand. Realistically not many of the UCS sets are to scale, the falcon, SD, they all come with minifigs that aren't to scale. The end of the day, Lego will always add a few figures to add that little extra play factor. If the figures are also exclusive to that set it's also great for collectors.

I agree with this. The figures will also be easy to sell in a pair so you can even recoup some money that way. 

First day buy for me (for my personal build collection), but only because I haven't picked up many sets yet in 2017.

Too bad they didn't try to use light grey instead of the normal white for this speeder in order to make it more "movie accurate". That would have been most interesting...

10 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

I'm not finding my answer here or the Shop@Home thread, so I'll ask a potentially dumb question.  Is there an early VIP for this set?  Or are we all buying May 4th?  This excludes @ravenb99 of course and his van full of 75144's.  I really don't want to have to stay up all night May 3rd to buy this and R2.

I seem to remember reading it would be available April 29th

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shewie said:

@Huskers1236

It's  gonna be available for VIP members earlier as mentioned above by "FCBARCELONA101 OUT OF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE" but you won't receive promotional R2D2 designated only for May 4th Event.

Good call.  Without a store near me, I'm going to be limited to how many R2's I can get.  Hope to grab a few of them and not get banned. 

On 4/12/2017 at 5:01 PM, Furious_george said:

Don't stick them on. We never put them on and the ships still look great. Plus if you ever sell it, you got nice a nice minty sticker sheet.

But wouldn't you rather the ship look correct the way it was designed?  If Megabloks can print over 100 pieces for their Starship Enterprise and leave the price point at $250 then surely Lego with all of their resources can do the same for a $200 1700 piece set.  

• Like 1

The thing with the UCS sets having these stickers is that it takes me back to making models when I was a kid. There is a certain pleasure to getting the sticker on "just right." Lego seems to be crossing into model-building terrain with many of their sets over the last decade or so. As an investor, sets are kept in boxes so it doesn't really matter if they have stickers or nots. As a builder, I usually build it once without the stickers, see how it looks, and then invariably end up taking it apart and rebuilding it with the stickers. More building bang for the buck, I feel. :)

However... stickers on a clear pieces, like the cockpits of Slave-1 and the X-wing? Those are nightmares. Lego, please stop the nightmare. 

• Like 1

Interesting about the reports of it being for sale.  Was at the Lego Store in downtown Disney Springs.  Anyone I asked said it was the 4th - 7th for R2D2 and the the 4th (with no early VIP release) for the speeder.  Called customer service and they said the US early release was scrapped.

I wouldn't buy now anyways, double VIP starting on star wars day with r2d2 promo.  You'd be crazy to buy earlier.

13 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

So it's been confirmed that there's no early VIP release for this tomorrow? I was hoping to go to the Lego store tomorrow to see if they had it on display. 

I thought the same but it usually advertises it on the site of there's an early vip release if you're signed in.