75144 - UCS: Snowspeeder

oneknightr

Saw this today in Smyths and was amazed at how underwhelming the box looked. It was comparable in size to 75105 Millennium Falcon, which sells regularly for under €100. I can't see this being a big seller at the price outside of die hard fans. The Slave 1 in comparison looked huge and worth the similar price tag.

7 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Saw this today in Smyths and was amazed at how underwhelming the box looked. It was comparable in size to 75105 Millennium Falcon, which sells regularly for under €100. I can't see this being a big seller at the price outside of die hard fans. The Slave 1 in comparison looked huge and worth the similar price tag.

May be a smaller box but it's not a small model. It'll do fine.

I foresee this set receiving similar discounts to 75095.  They are identical in MSRP and nearly the same piece count.  In addition too many Star Wars sets over saturating the consumers along with high ticket items like upcoming UCS MF.  Question is when will we start seeing the discount?  75095 was released in 2015 and discounted by 2016.  Anyone remember any discounts sooner than that?  Anyone else think we will see discounts on this set by mid 2018?

On 5/6/2017 at 0:18 PM, Ed Mack said:

I understand the positive vibes from those who do not have the older versions.  The basic STAR WARS theme is based on  reissuing old sets honestly.  It always has been.  Even when there was no new movie, they were recreating sets on an annual basis.  My issue with the new Snowspeeder and Red 5 and other future remakes is that they took an iconic set that really didn't need an update and repackaged it with their cheesy new UCS logo.  It is supposed to be the "Ultimate Collector Series."  These sets are hardly collectible if a new UCS version of a major set will be released every few years.  

Did you expect anything else after Disney got a hold of Star Wars?  Their job is to get fans the sets they want, not to create rare items.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this months ago when it first came out on May 4th. And somehow I now start feeling that I made a wrong decision on purchasing this.....mostly because I don't think that this will draw a lot of appreciation over years. When i bought this, I didn't know there was a smaller version of snowspeeder in the past, but now I know so this becomes not as special as I originally thought. What do you guys think?

2 minutes ago, bombarice said:

I bought this months ago when it first came out on May 4th. And somehow I now start feeling that I made a wrong decision on purchasing this.....mostly because I don't think that this will draw a lot of appreciation over years. When i bought this, I didn't know there was a smaller version of snowspeeder in the past, but now I know so this becomes not as special as I originally thought. What do you guys think?

Smaller UCS version...?

4 minutes ago, bombarice said:

If you bought it to resell then it was definitely the wrong decision because it was too soon and the buy-in was probably too high. Better to wait for lower prices or at least less time till it retires. Let the shops hold it for you but don´t tie up capital needlessly.

Regarding appreciation, if you buy at full RRP, you are making life harder for yourself. Wait and see which offers come out to make it cheaper. There is no longer easy money to be made paying full RRP on sets that are on everyone´s radar.

Edited by Val-E

Yah I was thinking of reselling it years later, but not soon. I don't mind waiting for 10 years, I just wonder if it would appreciate even after 10 years. Do you guys think it will at least do well in 10 years?

As a newbie, I didn't know UCS can go on sale too......so I admit that it wasn't a perfectly wise decision.  =(

1 minute ago, bombarice said:

Yah I was thinking of reselling it years later, but not soon. I don't mind waiting for 10 years, I just wonder if it would appreciate even after 10 years. Do you guys think it will at least do well in 10 years?

As a newbie, I didn't know UCS can go on sale too......so I admit that it wasn't a perfectly wise decision.  =(

The issue with SW is that the remake could come around within ten years. That´s why it´s better to wait it out and buy on price. Today you could get the Tie UCS cheap and bundled with many other promos just a few weeks before it should retire. That makes more business sense than a first day buy at full whack, right?

9 minutes ago, bombarice said:

I was expecting a decent discount on Rogue One Sets but left underwhelmed again. For what it's worth, I bought a Snowspeeder this morning. The 3 x points, walker/poster freebies just about made it worthwhile. 

I wonder if anything else will tempt me on Saturday/Sunday to complete the poster collection. I'm not hopeful...

Just now, Val-E said:

The issue with SW is that the remake could come around within ten years. That´s why it´s better to wait it out and buy on price. Today you could get the Tie UCS cheap and bundled with many other promos just a few weeks before it should retire. That makes more business sense than a first day buy at full whack, right?

Hi Val-E, thanks for your advice. I guess I now can only take this purhase as a lesson learned for being a newbie then. I bought this 75144 without discount obviously =( But at least now I learned that I can wait for discount for all other sets that I have my eyes on. =)

Thanks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bombarice said:

Hi Val-E, thanks for your advice. I guess I now can only take this purhase as a lesson learned for being a newbie then. I bought this 75144 without discount obviously =( But at least now I learned that I can wait for discount for all other sets that I have my eyes on. =)

Thanks.

If you like Star Wars, it might be a better idea just to build it and enjoy the experience rather than storing it for 3 years waiting for returns. You could even sell it second hand and recoup a fair whack as it has not really been discounted yet, which works in your favour.

At least you only bought one, that´s pocket money compared to the people who burnt money on the old Death Star and missed the selling window.

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

If you like Star Wars, it might be a better idea just to build it and enjoy the experience rather than storing it for 3 years waiting for returns. You could even sell it second hand and recoup a fair whack as it has not really been discounted yet, which works in your favour.

At least you only bought one, that´s pocket money compared to the people who burnt money on the old Death Star and missed the selling window.

Actually......I like Star Wars but not as much as I like Marvel's Super Heros...... @.@  But I hear what you meant. 

Yes I only bought one.....the free polybag of R2D2 kinda was the reason that lured me into buying it too on May 4th. I think at least I have a better idea now and I can move on and be wiser. If I end up not being able to make money off it years later (regardless building it first or leave it sealed), I can still give it away to my nephew as a gift. Not too bad after all as I only got one of this...the up side is that I learned a huge lesson on investing in lego sets now =)

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, ravenb99 said:

same length and width, just Y Wing is deeper than Snowspeeder

Ahhh, thanks, I was hoping you couldfit the two of them in the same shipping box, hm, I still could in the shipping box of 75181, but there would be space left, hopefully not much... Much appreciated in any case!

Since you are a veteran, a bit off-topic, I just checked for Ninjago City and Taj Mahal, theie boxes have almost identical dimensions, is it also 2 per shipping box?

33 minutes ago, Vinetu said:

Ahhh, thanks, I was hoping you couldfit the two of them in the same shipping box, hm, I still could in the shipping box of 75181, but there would be space left, hopefully not much... Much appreciated in any case!

Since you are a veteran, a bit off-topic, I just checked for Ninjago City and Taj Mahal, theie boxes have almost identical dimensions, is it also 2 per shipping box?

those are both 1 per case

• 5 months later...