75144 - UCS: Snowspeeder

oneknightr

37 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I could see a limited edition A-Wing, a landspeeder, AT-AT, maybe even a speeder bike. If you write off the PT, you write off a large number of designs. The republic gunship, aat, at-te, Jedi interceptor, wheelbike, Sith infiltrator, venator cruiser, naboo royal starship are all designs that could benefit from some attention.

I think your list is solid.  I definitely think they need a real well made 1500 piece UCS landspeeder.  Hasn't been done and I think it would be awesome.  I've seen some moc's of some and they all look great to me.  AT-AT is a no brainer.  A speederbike would be ok, but I couldn't see that be anything more than a 99.99 set..  I'd also like to add the Empire's probe droid that they tossed on hoth.

As for prequels.  There's two sets I really want to see done right in UCS form, and that's a 299.99 Republic Gunship, and a 199.99 Grievous Wheelbike that is one of the most awesome and technical sets ever made. The Jedi Interceptor is a possibility.. .but I probably would skip buying most of the naboo and episode 1 stuff.  Episode 1 is where things start to go south, IMO.

5 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I think your list is solid.  I definitely think they need a real well made 1500 piece UCS landspeeder.  Hasn't been done and I think it would be awesome.  I've seen some moc's of some and they all look great to me.  AT-AT is a no brainer.  A speederbike would be ok, but I couldn't see that be anything more than a 99.99 set..  I'd also like to add the Empire's probe droid that they tossed on hoth.

As for prequels.  There's two sets I really want to see done right in UCS form, and that's a 299.99 Republic Gunship, and a 199.99 Grievous Wheelbike that is one of the most awesome and technical sets ever made. The Jedi Interceptor is a possibility.. .but I probably would skip buying most of the naboo and episode 1 stuff.  Episode 1 is where things start to go south, IMO.

Episode I, love it or hate it exists. It had some of the most elegant designs in the films. I can't see why the design team wouldn't want to sink their teeth into some of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Episode I, love it or hate it exists. It had some of the most elegant designs in the films. I can't see why the design team wouldn't want to sink their teeth into some of them.

Because of their appeal and memories attached. The designs are great, but their 'appeal' is bad. Or I would say not memorable. They just would not sell. Adults regard them as child stuff. It can be argued that OT is not less childish, but this is how potential UCS buyers think in my opinion.

LEGO was probing the market with Obi-Wan starfighter and it was available loooong after retirement. Nobody wanted it. A big set will only be released if a smaller one goes through the test of demand. OT UCS also began with smaller stuff.

Also see Ghostbusters. HQ is released because car is selling really well. Still, even with that it is a very risky venture and I would not be surprised if it retired after 1.5-2 years since it costs too much for an average fan and not generic enough as SW or Avengers. I think even Helicarrier has troubles. 

This is why I think that we won't see prequel UCS. It failed the test of demand and LEGO is risk averse enough not to try it again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

Could this possibly have an episode VIII tie in? I'd imagine the Snowspeeder will feature in the new movies at some stage?

Which snowspeeder are you referring to? The OT version or the TFA version?

God I hope this rumored UCS Snowspeeder is an OT remake and not the TFA version. The TFA version got like 2 seconds of screen time and it looks awful. 

6 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Which snowspeeder are you referring to? The OT version or the TFA version?

God I hope this rumored UCS Snowspeeder is an OT remake and not the TFA version. The TFA version got like 2 seconds of screen time and it looks awful. 

I hope it's a new version.  The movie Snowspeeder was a POS and should not get double the UCS treatment in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I hope it's a new version.  The movie Snowspeeder was a POS and should not get double the UCS treatment in my opinion.

The OT Snowspeeder is my absolute favorite Star Wars vehicle, so I will have to respectfully disagree with you Ed. I hope it gets the remake treatment like they did to 7191. It's been 13 years since 10129. It's the right time for a remake. :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

Could this possibly have an episode VIII tie in? I'd imagine the Snowspeeder will feature in the new movies at some stage?

As the Snowspeeder is scheduled for a 2016 release and Episode VIII is due in 2017, I'd say there is pretty much no chance of that happening. Or were you referring to the one in The Force Awakens?

13 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

The OT Snowspeeder is my absolute favorite Star Wars vehicle, so I will have to respectfully disagree with you Ed. I hope it gets the remake treatment like they did to 7191. It's been 13 years since 10129. It's the right time for a remake. :)

It was a piece of crap.  LOL.  A rock could blow it up.  I did like the 10129...An excellent set.

16 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

It was a piece of crap.  LOL.  A rock could blow it up.  I did like the 10129...An excellent set.

The rebels weren't alone in that. Everything the empire built was a piece of crap too.. Tie's with no shields, single missiles taking out a death star, a lone a-wing destroying an ssd, logs toppling at-st's.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I forgot Stormtrooper armor that didn't protect them from anything. What's the point?

So they could wear those helmets which effed with their ability to shoot straight, thus missing Luke/Han/Leia in the Death Star and letting them "escape" while tracking them to the hidden Rebel Base. It was all part of the "Plan."

That's some serious foresight on behalf of the Emperor.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

So they could wear those helmets which effed with their ability to shoot straight, thus missing Luke/Han/Leia in the Death Star and letting them "escape" while tracking them to the hidden Rebel Base. It was all part of the "Plan."

That's some serious foresight on behalf of the Emperor.

They didn't fix that in TFA either. The battle on Takodana has a scene where a storm trooper misses Finn from 10 feet. I figure that was a nod to the OT troopers.

• Like 1

To me this set is still rumor and innuendo until we see something official.  We've been hearing about a UCS Hoth since the beginning of last year and it hasn't appeared, so until I see it, or get confirmation from someone like just2good who's seen it, then I'm in wait and see mode.  Same goes for MF remake, not getting too jazzed up about it until we get something concrete. 

14 minutes ago, gregpj said:

They didn't fix that in TFA either. The battle on Takodana has a scene where a storm trooper misses Finn from 10 feet. I figure that was a nod to the OT troopers.

It would have been hilarious had some TFA stormtroopers died due to friendly fires when they circled and executed the villagers on Jakku

(yeah I understood dark comedy)

• Like 2