9476 - The Orc Forge

M4x18

• 5 months later...

Which set do you guys think is better for investing 79004 Barrel Escape or 9476 The Orc Forge? I think I am going to Cleveland OH soon and I know there is an official LEGO store there and i am thinking of investing in one of these two exclusive sets. Please let me know, thanks!

I'd think orc forge. The white hand armor is what makes this set really unique. Barrel escape doesn't really have anything going on in it, aside from the exclusivity of the set. If there's anything Ed's bottom 50 loser analysis showed us its that exclusive does not equal money maker. My own analysis at retail has also shown that orc forge is almost universally sold out, while Barrel escape seems to linger on the shelves. Both are available all day long on LEGO Shop at Home though, and free shipping is coming up soon too. If there's no physical Lego store in your home state you also won't have to pay taxes on your internet purchase, but you will if you shop in the Ohio retail location.

I think your right but do think that people buy the sets because of the movie and they don't really read the books any more so my thinking was that in December when the movie The Desolation of Smaug comes out people will see the "barrel escape" scene and then want the set but since it wasn't in the first movie and people don't read to many books anymore they don't really understand the set. And that's why I think the barrel escape is a good one because it will probably be EOL by the time the movie comes out and that's when the peeps will want it! Am I right or wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Target that's 3 minutes away and online it says that this set is "in stock". I was pretty sure I was going to invest in this set but I'm kind'f having second thoughts about it. Just wandering if you guys think its a good investment or if there's another set in the $40-$50 range that's easy to get hold of and a better investment?

I did it! I am officially a Lego investor... now I just have to see if I can sleep at night with an unopened Lego set sitting in my closet...

Nice work. It is tough resisting that new Lego calling...

Orc Forge should do ok. I'm wondering if the upcoming release of Orthanc may have some positive knock on effects for the value of Orc Forge.

It is. And alternatively if you leave it too long and the value skyrockets, it is hard to justify opening it. But then if you sell it, there is this empty space where the Lego once was.....

Exactly! but then you get to more more Lego with your profits! :)