9476 - The Orc Forge

M4x18

I think Orc Forge will outperform Barrels... Why?

Quite simple... because orc Forge has a set going for it and that is Orthanc.... every LEGO collector who displays orthanc will possibly want/like to have 1-2 Orc Forges around it.

I know I would want that...

Wow I didnt even think of that!!!! Makes me look at it a bit differently now. Thanks!!!

Orc forge will certainly do better. it can be used to make orc/uruk hai armys, has great assortment of weapons and armor and is paired perfectly with tower of orthanc and most people will buy multiple to get the extra minifigs and make a big scene around the tower.

Barrel escape on the other hand is a set you buy one of, no one needs multiple of the same dwarfs or hobbits, it has minimal weaponry or army building ability and the pieces arent that great other than some of the food and drink related items.

But at this point dont bother with orc forge unless you somehow find them for MSRP, the barrel escape on the other hand can be back ordered on LEGO Shop at Home at MSRP, or if youre lucky at TRU stores, i think its sold out online.

I think Barrel Escape gets a bounce because of the current movie. While I agree with the displayability of the Orc Forges, that movie is over 10 years old, while the Hobbit 2 is in theatres right now and the barrel escape scene is possibly the best scene in the movie, certainly the best one for which there is a lego set since there is no dwarf castle/Smaug set. The fact that there are limited quantities right as the movie it ties into has come out, and right before Christmas to boot, should result in a short to medium term pop for this set.

The barrel escape set ruined the barrel scene for me. Damn spoilers!

How can something from a book that was released XY years ago can be a spoiler.... 

I usually tell people to read the book and if they never cared enough to read the book (no personal offense meant) then they never should've care for such spoilers :P

Thats off topic though....

the thing I always ask myself is:

''Would I want more than 1 of some set?''

If the answer is YES then the chance of it being good investment is relatively high

If the answer is NO then it is a slim chance...

Ofcourse that is mainly meant for middle priced sets (30-60$) 

Kind of a weird toss up. Barrel Escape contains four out of five exclusive minifigures (dwarfs and Mirkwood Elves) with the set itself being exclusive and integral to the currently playing Hobbit films. Then on the other hand, Orc Forge is an exclusive army builder set with the unique Lurtz and handprint helmet with shield available only in one other set, The Tower of Orthanc. Also has a light brick in there so that helps.

How can something from a book that was released XY years ago can be a spoiler.... 

I usually tell people to read the book and if they never cared enough to read the book (no personal offense meant) then they never should've care for such spoilers :P

I think that argument works better for spoilers that are known by the majority of the population. IE "Luke I am your father". I doubt anyone watches Star Wars now and is surprised by vader being luke's father.

I'd lean towards the Orc Forge for two reasons:

1. Firstly, Orc Forge is from the LOTR theme which in my opinion has better long term collectability prospects than the Hobbit theme.  AFOLs lean towards LOTR over the Hobbit.  I am one myself and collect LOTR personally but have drawn the line and not collected Hobbit sets.
  2. Time frames - Orc Forge was released 6 months before Barrel Escape and evidence points to it being retired already.  Barrel Escape is still around and could get an even longer shelf run due to it being from a scene in the 2nd film.  You could invest in Orc Forges now, sell them just before Barrel Escape goes EOL banking any profits and put your capital in Barrel Escape then if you feel its prospects were better at that time.

Kind of a weird toss up. Barrel Escape contains four out of five exclusive minifigures (dwarfs and Mirkwood Elves) with the set itself being exclusive and integral to the currently playing Hobbit films. Then on the other hand, Orc Forge is an exclusive army builder set with the unique Lurtz and handprint helmet with shield available only in one other set, The Tower of Orthanc. Also has a light brick in there so that helps.

I think the dwarves in barrel escape are most likely going to end up in a future hobbit wave which will hurt it's value. Everyone should have multiple orc forges for their LOTR collection! Sadly I only bought one as I missed all the sales.

I think the dwarves in barrel escape are most likely going to end up in a future hobbit wave which will hurt it's value. Everyone should have multiple orc forges for their LOTR collection! Sadly I only bought one as I missed all the sales.

I hope they appear in a later set. I would think so just on cost of the two new molds for those hair/beard pieces of theirs. As for Orc Forge, I never came across any sales (the set never stayed around long enough at my Target to) but I did pickup a couple anyway. I love the set!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Doing my monthly price checks on my portfolio and saw this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-9476-THE-ORC-FORGE-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-THE-LORD-OF-THE-RINGS-SET-/171913100545?hash=item2806d1bd01

£1000 on the sold listings! I wonder if the buyer paid! ;) Maybe I should increase my target price for this set :money:

based on the sellers history these seem to be placeholders.  and they likely changed the listing price after the sale.

Edited by jay4e

Yeah there´s been a couple of items like from the same seller  where you would think it was a decimal point error. Never happens the other way round, though. Something fishy going on, perhaps.

I often see for for sale at these silly prices. But never have seen one in the Sold listings. I really want to know if the buyer paid. :)

Nobody bought it for that ridiculous price. The seller raised the price after one probably legit sale for £ 48:

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=171913100545&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564

You have to click on "1 sold" to see actual sales with real prices.

Never noticed that link. I've discovered another one for £1000 for 10245. 

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=171909228093&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564

here 5 have been sold for £90 an d supposedly there are 3 left. So in reality the seller is out of stock? Presumably awaiting a delivery but does not want to end the listing. 

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

Yes. 

Too funny :)

17 hours ago, airhanny said:

Is there a chance this set will go up in price or should I just sell all mine? Thanks

Personally I think the value in this lies in parting it out.  Wanted to build up a Uruk-Hai army for a helms deep MOC.  Have you see how much those shields and helmets are going for???  The theme is now done but its one of those lines that does have a die hard AFOL following.
I think these sets will do better long term in the EU but Orc Forge is more ones for the completionist.  The mini-figs involved are not too iconic IMO so whilst i think this one will continue to rise i think it will be at a slower pace.