Mega Bloks Star Trek theme including the U.S.S. ENTERPRISE NCC-1701

TheOrcKing

The Best Buys around me all have these in stock at the $80 sale price.  My guess is that the initial "Trekkies" have already bought theirs and word of mouth has gotten out about the poor quality control with missing bags.  I am considering it however.  I've started selling off my personal Lego collection but as a Trekkie I still kind of want this.  The issue is where to display it.  One the reasons I am selling off my Lego collection is that it takes up too much space.  Will it fit on a Ikea Lack shelf?  Has anyone tried?

Edited by Mathew

34 minutes ago, waddamon said:

I bought 4 today, clearing out one last store at that killer price tomorrow. Then I'll build one.  What a steal at that price, give it 2 years.

It's a steal for a reason-->Missing bags of bricks.  No way would I buy these to flip two years down the road.  Who knows if Mattel will still have stock of the missing pieces or even honor the same policy that they have today. 

Ok, I broke down and picked up the last one at the Best Buy near me.  Figured it probably wouldn't last the weekend.  I plan on building it so I'll deal with the missing pieces issue myself (if necessary, keeping fingers crossed).  Does anyone have a bag count?  Couldn't find any information with my initial search.

23 hours ago, bigboy61 said:

Does anyone actually buy them on the seccond market though? That's the real question. I have seen some Halo sets that are in the $600s, but, obviously, since I am viewing them, they haven't sold. I am tempted to pick one up, but I just don't quite know if the demand will be there. 

I have sold my Halo MB sets from 3-4 years ago on Amazon Canada and on craigslist for big money. Some of these sets are selling at 5 times what I paid for them when I got them at 40% off clearance. This was what convinced me to get 2 of the Enterprise back around Christmas. 

Has anyone other than Jang in his review documented missing pieces?

Could be the case of one very public mistake creating the impression of a wide-spread issue.

Lots of people continually saying, "Well I heard they have lots of issues with missing pieces" isn't multiple cases of it happening if everyone is talking about the same 1 case.

Maybe we could add a poll to this forum.

If you built the Enterprise, were you missing any pieces?

Or how many pieces were you missing, Zero, 1-5, 5-10, 10+

Edited by mudcatsfan

i was going to make statement like this the other day.  People need to be careful of how much they know of missing pieces.  I mean unless you can show that you opened 20 boxes and each was missing pieces on multiple sets, than that is an issue. Otherwise its just.. "i heard they are always missing pieces", not "I know that they always miss pieces".  Yes, I am sure some of you may have experienced this, but on this forum, it just sounds like pure fact.  I have two more coming, I guess I will try to build one and I will see how it goes.  I may order like 3 other different sized sets to see how they fair as well.

• Like 2

There are plenty of reviews on Amazon saying entire bags are missing - they can´t all be Lego fanboys / fruitcakes although more than one gives a 4 star review despite having a bag missing.

The second issue is the poor clutch hold of certain parts making up the bridge.

As always, you get what you pay for and this set is fine for 60% off RRP - maybe that´s why people are willing to overlook missing parts because Amazon/Megabloks sent them in the end and they got it cheap. If you buy a Hyundai you can´t expect a Rolls Royce interior.

I´d have had no issues with a quick flip but I can imagine all the hassle of selling one for rrp or more 5 years down the line and there being many missing custom parts.

Edited by Val-E

18 hours ago, thelovemachine said:

Has anyone built theirs yet?  I've been building mine and the pieces don't fit as well as LEGO.  Feels almost fake...

My SO tried to build hers and was in a fit of rage the entire build. Frequently she needed help to press and mold things in shape so that the pieces would fit together. Ultimately she gave up :/

Edited by landphieran
  • Like 1

While most Lego sets have a couple of reviews that mention missing pieces there's really no comparison to this set:  "The other major problem is missing pieces. At first I thought that I just couldn't find the pieces I was looking for, and in many cases I would look for several minutes before finally finding one. But some pieces were also definitely not included in the set -- most notably 6 large dark gray plates. You can request replacements from Mega Bloks, but the problem is figuring out exactly what you are missing."  

I think $80 is great deal if it's a personal build but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole for reselling.  

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Another point to consider is the box is simple to open without breaking the seals - hello scammers. Personal build AOK, investment OK for face 2 face deals but too risk when egative feedback or chargebacks are involved.

I knew when I bought mine it would have to be a craigslist or other similar sale. Just waiting for it to be totally kaput at retail.

• Like 1

My SO tried to build hers and was in a fit of rage the entire build. Frequently she needed help to press and mold things in shape so that the pieces would fit together. Ultimately she gave up :/

The pieces are definitely inferior to Lego. You can tell just by handling them. It is harder to connect the pieces and the saucer section of the Enterprise was tough because it's basically layer upon layer of plates. At certain points I was pressing down as hard as I could to get the plates to connect. It is solid once it's built though. Don't have to worry about it falling apart.

• Like 1