40139 - Gingerbread House

capsa77

50 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Anyone BL'ed this one?  I've never used Bricklink, but I really have a hard time convincing myself to open one of these when they're selling so high.  Thanks in advance!

I don't know what they sell for in the US, but they're going for £30 in the UK and it costs £28 (ex shipping) to bricklink it. 

• 5 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I always sell my "good" promo sets at least a year after to maximise profit and the GBH Is a prime example. My London Buses, Snow Globes and "Mini Advents" have been put away until at least Xmas 2017. If a set takes up little space, what's the rush!

Only selling between £35-40 on ebay UK. I personally don't think it's worth keeping the majority of lego promos as only a handful go up in price after the initial big price of first day release, then it's a race to the bottom...

Snow Globe is now selling for £25-27 from thr initial pre-order price of £50 ( not sure how many people actually paid that price). It should go up by next year, but for the sake of a few pounds increase, I think the more likely danger is worried that promos might come back later, So I'll take as much money I can get straightaway.

This promo is definitely one of the sets which performs different in UK / North America.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poly 30286 said:

I hate shipping things. Too much potential for getting scammed. We'll see if I'm singing a different tune once my cc bill comes in

If you don't like shipping things this might not be the hobby for you. Not saying to be mean or snarky, but seriously it's hard to move a variety of product via Craigslist only.

I found out shipping takes too much of my time too, which is why I'm exiting the game. Good luck to ya.

• Like 1

@mudcatsfan I was never really in the game. I'm more of a frugal collector than reseller. I divested most of my duplicates (I was using the buy two, build one & sell another approach) earlier this year. I still have quite a few promos that I'd like to get out of my closet. I did manage to sell a Christmas Train and Gingerbread House bundle via CL this summer, but no action since.

I hate to lose on shipping and selling fees, so that's a big reason I pulled out. Buying is really fun, but selling can be dreadful.

P.S. Reposted in Brick Classifieds just in case

Update: Sold via BC overnight. Hooray!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Poly 30286 said:

@mudcatsfan I was never really in the game. I'm more of a frugal collector than reseller. I divested most of my duplicates (I was using the buy two, build one & sell another approach) earlier this year. I still have quite a few promos that I'd like to get out of my closet. I did manage to sell a Christmas Train and Gingerbread House bundle via CL this summer, but no action since.

I hate to lose on shipping and selling fees, so that's a big reason I pulled out. Buying is really fun, but selling can be dreadful.

Gotcha. Well that makes sense then. Just figured I'd share my experience in case it helped another not head down the path I did.

• Like 1

@mudcatsfan

You would easily sell this for more than your CL price on BrickLink. Like x1.5 and rising. That would far offset your fees hesitation. Shipping small promos is easy. Sellers pay shipping so that is moot.

I think your hassle and potential for a scam is pretty low on BL. I'm missing the downside. Admittedly I'm biased as I personally see CL as a last resort marketplace.

Yes there is a learning curve for setting up your store, but just a little motivation now would make what hasn't worked for you much better. BL is surprisingly friendly to the casual shop. If you shop there for parts you already know half of the system.

Anyway, good luck.

• Like 3

I was never really in the game. I'm more of a frugal collector than reseller.

One last thought on this...

You might find a BL seller that is interested in buying your stock. I know there are some that do fullfillment for others. This could be a percentage of sales or an outright "wholesale" sell to them.

Your state probably has a bunch of sellers that you could work with and avoid also shipping your inventory. Scope the BL seller list by state. Ask at a LUG meeting if you do that (what if any instate seller fellow buyers like/trust).

Obviously this tack nets you less, but reset your expectations and enjoy a lower stress method. :-)

• 9 months later...