City 2016

TheOrcKing

Got to be smart with City purchases. Generic Police/Fire stuff I'm only in at least 75% off where I know I can sell it easily for double at a car-boot if required.

There are gems hidden from time to time, 3222 springs to mind and I'm a believer in current Snowplough as its a store exclusive in UK and has been available recently for nearly 40% off

The Police designs here (for what we can presently see) standout for the island prison concept, something I don't remember being done prior. A lot of play value and more interesting appearance in this wave's obligatory police base than the many others in my opinion. The interceptor style cop car is slick yet the truck is a modified version from 4437 although dark red is a nice color and good to see the Series 11 Welder's wand making an appearance outside of the Minifigures line. That Police boat reminds me of the Police Patrol from 1991.

For the most part the Firefighters are pretty much your standard fare with some seeming to be rearrangements or remixes of past designs in particular the Fire Station in a couple ways looks fuller but about the same only with sections rearranged of the last Fire Station. I do not need more combatants against the flame for my cityscape however they are decent and should a good sale arise, I may plunge down on a few.

Aside from the crooks sporting orange ties (ha), my main interest will be what new "great vehicles" are to be released. The racing boat with buoys is smooth.

It seems a video LEGO had uploaded to their channel only to take down afterwards revealed a couple of sets coming out next year one of which supposedly is a Rally Car (60113) just like this MOC made to mimic the prelims. (The driver looks like The Stig.) Also a couple shots of 60117 Caravan Van which just looks a blue SUV pulling a camper caravan.

It seems a video LEGO had uploaded to their channel only to take down afterwards revealed a couple of sets coming out next year one of which supposedly is a Rally Car (60113) just like this MOC made to mimic the prelims. (The driver looks like The Stig.) Also a couple shots of 60117 Caravan Van which just looks a blue SUV pulling a camper caravan.

Hmmm, I have one 4435 Car and Camper left.  What to do, what to do...

• 1 month later...

lot of imagination required to put the Island in the Police Island theme.  its like a building and the island part is all in your head.  

Also the theme just makes me think of god-awful pit of hopelessness nightmare Rikers Island.  not the kind of place i want my kid's imagination lurking.

it would be cool if lego did old school prohibition era city police type theme with some Lucky Luciano type gangsters and a Ford Model A.

i like the fire truck with the ladder.

All images in the main post have been updated with high-res images of the official box sets. Now I can see the crooks are actually sporting the usual prison garb over an orange shirt underneath. From the original low quality photos, the orange looked to shape the form of a tie to me. Yeah a tie makes no sense at all in retrospect but it would have been funny. Anyway there are a few more sets I need to add.

12 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

The Garbage Truck with the Recycling logo

Cool story bro, so....what about it? :scratchhead:

12 hours ago, cladner said:

it would be cool if lego did old school prohibition era city police type theme with some Lucky Luciano type gangsters and a Ford Model A.

While LEGO would not touch on such subjects or characters directly involving prohibition, bootlegging, gun smuggling, and other crimes, I would like to see builds based around the architectural aesthetics of the era. The modular houses sometimes touch on the area a little yet nothing has been as one example a full-blown Art Deco styled apartment. They have been artistic with the Grand Emporium to Parisian Restaurant however not quite striking as a vintage building. Detective's Office is fairly close in that aspect though.

10 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Gotta quote myself here as I miscounted.  4 helicopters this go-round.

And there are 5 more between Juniors, Creator and Technic that we know about so far. Expect at least 1 more in the super heroes sets to round it out at 10 new helicopters this year. Yay!

3 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I dunno.  I'm just amused that they call it "Garbage Truck" and yet it has recycling logos on it.  Why not call it Recycling Truck?

Hey yeah, that is weird. I know from before LEGO has done three different Recycle Trucks where the last one was made in 2007 plus a full Recycling Truck with a little center sort of for the bins.