10253 - Big Ben

Alpinemaps

• 5 months later...

I came across a 10253 in Target selling "as-is" for $175. Seals on one end are broken, box is really worn on most edges. I'm very tempted to get this to build and then sell as used. Good idea? I imagine I'll be able to check the contents before buying -- has anyone seen an inventory of bags (I know there are 27, but how many of each number, and even bag weights)?

19 minutes ago, milkshake said:

I came across a 10253 in Target selling "as-is" for $175. Seals on one end are broken, box is really worn on most edges. I'm very tempted to get this to build and then sell as used. Good idea? I imagine I'll be able to check the contents before buying -- has anyone seen an inventory of bags (I know there are 27, but how many of each number, and even bag weights)?

If the seals are broken on one end, I would take to customer service and see if they'll let you validate that it is all there. If it is, I like your plan. Would be fun to build, and easy to sell used if you have everything in good condition. Worst case you probably break even plus get to build it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, c_rpg said:

Might bite if this ever goes down to 140£. It's still a LEGO Shop at Home exclusive over here afaik.

It probably will during either the Summer or pre-Xmas sale.

• 5 months later...

Bought Big Ben at amazon.ca for 20% off. $240 CAD vs retail $300. Box had obviously previously been opened and came with sticker on it. Not packed in box. Contacted amazon.ca and will offer another 20% off if I keep it so that would make it $192 or I can wait to get another. Was planning to build so probably will keep it. Interested to hear other thoughts. 

34 minutes ago, jhchin said:

Bought Big Ben at amazon.ca for 20% off. $240 CAD vs retail $300. Box had obviously previously been opened and came with sticker on it. Not packed in box. Contacted amazon.ca and will offer another 20% off if I keep it so that would make it $192 or I can wait to get another. Was planning to build so probably will keep it. Interested to hear other thoughts. 

If building, I would keep it unless you want a perfect box.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest TabbyBoy

It's not been out that long and it could be a very long time before it retires. The Tower Bridge is still going strong after nearly 7 years! Since the Sydney Opera House has been disappointing after retirement (not quite RRP after fees), I no longer hold much hope for this theme. Sorry, I'm just being honest ;-)

7 minutes ago, boliramirez said:

I will wait to see how the London bridge turns out, and then I will comment..

I never knew there was a London Bridge set, do you mean Tower Bridge? ;-)

I won't be surprised if Big Ben retires before this does.

I wouldn't even consider investing in this set for the time being. It will be around for at least 3 years if we're lucky, but i think it will be around for much longer than that, see Tower bridge.

As above lets see how Tower Bridge does after retirement, but that set won't be retiring anytime soon either, not this year anyway.

1 hour ago, Jackyb1991 said:

Do we think the Big Ben creator set is worth investing in for profit in the future? 

Depends on time on market, buy-in  and your expectations of profit. Right now is a bit too soon to say as it is a recent release and discounts haven´t been widespread. If it were to retire tomorrow then it would be a great investment. If it stays aroud 7 years and people are getting it half price, probably not. But then your expectations are also important. Do you expect to doubel your money after 3 years or are you happy making a tenner in a month?

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Depends on time on market, buy-in  and your expectations of profit. Right now is a bit too soon to say as it is a recent release and discounts haven´t been widespread. If it were to retire tomorrow then it would be a great investment. If it stays aroud 7 years and people are getting it half price, probably not. But then your expectations are also important. Do you expect to doubel your money after 3 years or are you happy making a tenner in a month?

Thanks for your time mate. Double money would be good it really is finding the correct set isn't it.

Think I may give a miss for a while and wait for tower like suggested thanks peeps 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jackyb1991 said:

Thanks for your time mate. Double money would be good it really is finding the correct set isn't it.

Think I may give a miss for a while and wait for tower like suggested thanks peeps 

If this is your first year in the game then it does make sense to sit and watch from the sidelines without spending real money. Place your virtual bets on sets you think will retire and how they will perform. Retirements will come thick and fast in November and so will the sales.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Since the Sydney Opera House has been disappointing after retirement (not quite RRP after fees), I no longer hold much hope for this theme

I have been pretty happy with SOH so far. It was heavily discounted at the end and is over $450 fba now. Same plan for big ben and any large sets these days, buy on retirement closeout or pass on it. 

34 minutes ago, Val-E said:

If this is your first year in the game then it does make sense to sit and watch from the sidelines without spending real money. Place your virtual bets on sets you think will retire and how they will perform. Retirements will come thick and fast in November and so will the sales.

Thanks for advice mate. I certainly won't be spending to much. Is my first year so will be keeping a close eye. On forums etc. if there is anything that seems to be a deffo I may put some money out onit 

8 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I have been pretty happy with SOH so far. It was heavily discounted at the end and is over $450 fba now. Same plan for big ben and any large sets these days, buy on retirement closeout or pass on it. 

Yeah, glad I didn´t pay RRP for SOH or any of the 2016 exclusives.  Buying as late as possible is sage advice, just look at Pet Shop. Those who held off till late 2016 got it marked down and with retiring soon tag to help them know it was safe.

1 minute ago, Jackyb1991 said:

Thanks for advice mate. I certainly won't be spending to much. Is my first year so will be keeping a close eye. On forums etc. if there is anything that seems to be a deffo I may put some money out onit 

Tesco 3 for 2 in November is a good starting point as you will have retiring soon tags and great prices. Just be sure to get up early or @TabbyBoy will have taken all the best stuff.

Guest TabbyBoy
13 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Yeah, glad I didn´t pay RRP for SOH or any of the 2016 exclusives.  Buying as late as possible is sage advice, just look at Pet Shop. Those who held off till late 2016 got it marked down and with retiring soon tag to help them know it was safe.

Tesco 3 for 2 in November is a good starting point as you will have retiring soon tags and great prices. Just be sure to get up early or @TabbyBoy will have taken all the best stuff.

Don't worry, I'll probably not be buying during Tesco's next 3-for-2 sale unless they stock 21309 SatV and the new UCS MF by then.

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Don't worry, I'll probably not be buying during Tesco's next 3-for-2 sale unless they stock 21309 SatV and the new UCS MF by then.

In which case Tesco's will be landing the largest ever order in their history of selling Lego and Tabby will be getting his containers back ?

• 1 year later...

What's going on with this set? No talk here at all.  In Europe its still available with no retiring tag but over here in the US its pretty hard to find, Legoland, Legostore and online its scarce apart from popping in and out at Target , I would have thought it would be the set to replace the aging Tower Bridge set but it seems like its going early maybe?    I missed out on the Walmart discounts and have a few at RRP just to be safe.