Ghostbusters - general discussion

jaisonline

Folks,

it appears we will be getting more Lego Ghostbusters in 2016.

“Alongside Mattel, we have LEGO on board, Funko doing Pop! Vinyl and Rubie’s is making costumes. It’s expansive. We have something for everyone, whether you’re a collector or an everyday toy buyer.”

http://www.toynews-online.biz/news/read/sony-pictures-details-toy-plans-for-ghostbusters-jumanji-and-get-smurfy/045530

I'm just wondering how popular the sets will be if the film doesn't do well and the original characters from the 1980s aren't in the sets... Regardless, the designs should be cool based on what we have see to-date.

another thing is what it means by saying Lego is on board. Should mean sets & not just Dimensions.

Looks like the Ecto 1 will be out a few more years, if you read the description at the bottom, it clearly says the Ecto 21108 fits inside the Firehouse, how many complaints do you think Lego would get it they retired the 21108 early.

Firehouse Headquarters doors can open to fit the 21108 LEGO® Ideas Ghostbusters Ecto-1 inside!

43 minutes ago, emazers said:

Looks like the Ecto 1 will be out a few more years, if you read the description at the bottom, it clearly says the Ecto 21108 fits inside the Firehouse, how many complaints do you think Lego would get it they retired the 21108 early.

Firehouse Headquarters doors can open to fit the 21108 LEGO® Ideas Ghostbusters Ecto-1 inside!

There is certainly strong demand for the Ecto 1 out of stock now since double VIP at shop at home and also out of stock at target.  Planting the mild $50 MSRP Ecto-1 seed into the mind of AFOL's was smart because when they see the Head Quarters a small but $ignificant number of folks lightbulbs will go on.  As much as it pains me because of my stash of ecto-1, I have to agree that this new giant building set would seem to be the life-knell for at least a 2 year lease on life for ecto-1 ... argh.  i'm hedged if ecto-1 goes early but i'm done now at 70 til F5 time.  i was hoping for EOL in first quarter 2016... cue the wah-wah-wah sound.  at least there's no floppy neck issues.

Edited by cladner

7 minutes ago, cladner said:

There is certainly strong demand for the Ecto 1 out of stock now since double VIP at shop at home and also out of stock at target.  Planting the mild $50 MSRP Ecto-1 seed into the mind of AFOL's was smart because when they see the Head Quarters a small but $ignificant number of folks lightbulbs will go on.  As much as it pains me because of my stash of ecto-1, I have to agree that this new giant building set would seem to be the life-knell for at least a 2 year lease on life for ecto-1 ... argh.  i'm hedged if ecto-1 goes early but i'm done now at 70 til F5 time.  i was hoping for EOL in first quarter 2016... cue the wah-wah-wah sound.  at least there's no floppy neck issues.

Sounds like you have some good brickclassifieds trade fodder though.

Firehouse Headquarters doors can open to fit the 21108 LEGO Ideas Ghostbusters Ecto-1 inside!

Or they could just retire Ecto-1 and amend the description for the HQ. We already know that there is going to be a Ghostbusters line next year to compliment the new movie. I would imagine a new Ecto will fill the void once 21103 has retired.

Well for once I glad I didn't go and buy 50 or more as if the Ecto  21108 stays out for a few more years well it could take a long time for this set to worth any good money, but I do have 20 and thats it. I would not suggest anybody to be buying a ton of these right now.

I would not suggest anybody to be buying a ton of these right now.

Errr a little bit too late for that, I'm already deep into this one. Seriously though consider this, we now know there's a line of sets to be released alongside the new movie and it would be logical that one of the sets be the new Ecto. Surely they won't have two Ectos competing against each other. Prior to the new GB sets being announced I was convinced 21108 was hanging around, now I'm sure it'll be gone before the new sets are released.

17 hours ago, emazers said:

Well, there'd probably be much fewer complaints if they do in fact retire old Ecto-1 but release the new one from the upcoming movie to park in the garage, along with new figures.

35 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

75828 is a rumoured set to accompany the new movie and will have a price of $79.99 NZD

We can hope that 21108 retires because the release of new movie sets, but in the official desciption of the HQ they NAME 21108, so as much as I wish Ecto to retire, it just won't happen at least for another year.

I stopped to acquire 21108 when I heard the GB HQ news. I will handle it like cladner. Wait for EOL signs and play the F5 game. On the other hand I got quite a few sets and with new ectos the future for 21108 does not look so bright as could have been.

You can look at the glass half full (new theme will provide demand for first items for years to come especially if they fit together) or half empty (ecto may not retire as soon as hoped).

It will be interesting to see if they move Ecto from Ideas to the actual theme itself - perhaps with a few mods and it becomes generally available.

So tell me this the general opinion here seems to be that they will keep Ecto-1 going for years to come. In which case you're implying that either (a) there is no new Ecto set to coincide with the movie or (b) they run Ecto-1 and the new Ecto set alongside each other? Surely if there are new GB sets this year the Ecto is definitely one of them, no? Lets face it people have had a year and a half to buy the Ecto-1. They could retire 21108 and people could still get a new Ecto set and the orginal male figures with the HQ. 

So say they do decide to change Ecto-1 by retiring 21108 and rereleasing it under a Ghostbusters theme, this in my opinion would rule out Lego making an Ecto for the new movie, ie Ecto 3 or whatever it's going to be referred to. I just don't see two different Ecto's in production at the same time. Are there any examples of where TLG have previously had two similar sets in production at the same time, for example two tie fighter playsets?

5 hours ago, elkolonel said:

Will Ghostbusters HQ simply be a part of the Ideas Theme? If so, i guess they are probably not doing a whole range of products.

It isn't going to be an Ideas theme set. I was just reading about how the situation was handled (and to me, it seems pretty crappy). Below is a statement from the person who submitted the set to LEGO Ideas. 

http://www.swissgb.ch/my-statement-on-the-release-of-the-lego-ghostbusters-firehouse-headquarters/