75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 8 months later...
11 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

The set # 75159 doesn't jive with the "Ultimate Collector Series" subtheme on Brickset...or am I missing something here?

Either way, this should get interesting...

Why not?  75059 (SC), 75060 (Slave1), 75095 (TIE), 75098 (Hoth)...

75159 would fit with dropping UCS in the normal numbering scheme, based on when the set hit some state of development. regular 2016 sets are already up to 75146 (Advent), so likely will not know for sure till the end of the year.

Edited by jay4e
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, KShine said:

After having the Death Star remain available for 50 years, and giving everyone more than enough time to get one - I find it very hard to believe that they would re-release a virtual copy of the 10188 (unless LEGO is actually aiming for the complete destruction of re-sellers).

But if it is so....

B8VrAhuCcAAAz_-.jpg

Agreed. There is no way this will be a simple refresh of 10188. Even if it turns out to be another playset, after 8 years I'm sure the designers at Lego have had some good ideas and better building techniques. There's really no reason to cut corners on a flagship DS set that would limit the market.

11 minutes ago, jay4e said:

Why not?  75059 (SC), 75060 (Slave1), 75095 (TIE), 75098 (Hoth)...

75159 would fit with dropping UCS in the normal numbering scheme, based on when the set hit some state of development. regular 2016 sets are already up to 75146 (Advent), so likely will not know for sure till the end of the year.

Thanks for the clarification.  I guess I'm still too lazy to look up set numbers...

So, 75095 Tie, 75098 Assault on Hoth.  I think 75098 was initially scheduled for Dec 2015, but pushed back to March as it’s not aligned to current movie releases being OT.  

75100 - 75130 are mostly TFA sets and 75130 – 75140 are TFA and OT remake sets. With 75146 2016 calendar, 75148 2016 unknown and 75159 Death Star 2016.  

Guessing the 75150 – 75159 are the first draft 2016 movie sets, so would guess DS 2016 will be a late 2016 release.

Question is it a new movie based set or a refresh.  My money is on a new DS set aligned to the new movie. But as I only have 1 DS, I don’t have much skin in the game. 

best case for 10188 owners is this new death star (75159) is something like 10143 but from A New Hope (not the incomplete death star from ROTJ).  this sorta make sense with the Rogue One movie coming in Dec 2016 just in-time for the holiday season.  this would be a true UCS model with the sticker plaque, stand, etc...  however, wouldn't this kinda be borining w/o "interactive" elements unless it's something like the UCS Helicarrier.

on the other hand, worse case is another Winter Toy Shop "lesson".  A "redo" of 10188 with minor changes. 

basically, i have no idea and can't even begin to guess.

7 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

best case for 10188 owners is this new death star (75159) is something like 10143 but from A New Hope (not the incomplete death star from ROTJ).  this sorta make sense with the Rogue One movie coming in Dec 2016 just in-time for the holiday season.  this would be a true UCS model with the sticker plaque, stand, etc...  however, wouldn't this kinda be borining w/o "interactive" elements unless it's something like the UCS Helicarrier.

on the other hand, worse case is another Winter Toy Shop "lesson".  A "redo" of 10188 with minor changes. 

basically, i have no idea and can't even begin to guess.

I am 99% sure this will be a playset. 10188 was selling like hotcakes, but was dated and probably not too economic to produce. Every sign points at the new one as a legit replacement in essence.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

then this whole debacle will become very interesting (in a bad way)

..very bad way..
please don't let that happen...

But I'm thinking with Rogue One coming out it could also be a non playset like you mentioned as it could be the DS from "A new Hope" build like the 10143 but complete ;)
THAT would be great ;)

Edited by Chillreign

7 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

Oh, I never believed in Santa-Santa, but the legend is based on a 3rd-4th century Turkish monk, so there's that.

And he had 0 death stars.

OK, I get you now :) But that's like saying unicorns are semi-mythical because they're based on horses...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chillreign said:

..very bad way..

But I'm thinking with Rogue One coming out it could also be a non playset like jai mentioned as it could be the DS from "A new Hope" build like the 10143 but complete ;)
THAT would be great ;)

this is my christmas wish from lego but....

tumblr_inline_mkdzx1AS4j1qz4rgp.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, inversion said:

I am 99% sure this will be a playset. 10188 was selling like hotcakes, but was dated and probably not too economic to produce. Every sign points at the new one as a legit replacement in essence.

It’ll be a play set for sure.  But I think if we were going to get a refreshed OT one we would have seen it sooner.  

From a product point of view, I agree, it was a good selling Halo product with an old price position and room for build improvement.  I think they will have been looking to refresh it for a while (build and price) and still have it in existence. However as they are likely to have had some advance knowledge of the movies they will have managed cycle plans to max profit from the existing set, prior to retirement and refresh.  Why wait until Rogue One to refresh an OT set.  

Also I can’t imagine SW will stop after 5/6 years, I expect we’ll get a MCU’ing of the SW world after this trilogy concludes.   Sets aligned to the current SW  movies allow for more options for marketing and realignment to a more standard product lifespan.    

6 minutes ago, Chillreign said:

..very bad way..

But I'm thinking with Rogue One coming out it could also be a non playset like you mentioned as it could be the DS from "A new Hope" build like the 10143 but complete ;)
THAT would be great ;)

10143 flopped AND they NEED a replacement for 10188. Unlikely to have another display model, and even if that happens by some miracle there will be another 10188-like in the near future. 

As a fan of Star Wars and Lego, I never liked this set from it's release. It is too "busy" with several movie scenes with the play areas all too small to have a lot of fun other than a display. The kit repeats Luke Skywalker three times and Han Solo twice. Those figs along with the rest of the gang are all available in other less expensive kits.  Please correct me if there is an exclusive figure in this kit. The price point of $400 is a bit steep, especially after the economic meltdown of 2008 when it was released. Finally, as we all know it has been available FOREVER, so as reseller I am glad I never bought a single copy, and I have no plans to regardless of the buy price. After 7 years of hoarding of this kit, Resellers will be "dumping" this kit for the next 10 years trying to get rid of it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

i'm beginning to have a love / hate relationship with lego. 

the AFOL in me adores the company while the investor part wants to "bend the knee" in disgust.

Yea, but look at it from their side. They HAD to do something about the horde. The horde is out of control.