75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 8 months later...
10 minutes ago, Average Guy said:

As a fan of Star Wars and Lego, I never liked this set from it's release. It is too "busy" with several movie scenes with the play areas all too small to have a lot of fun other than a display. The kit repeats Luke Skywalker three times and Han Solo twice. Those figs along with the rest of the gang are all available in other less expensive kits.  Please correct me if there is an exclusive figure in this kit. The price point of $400 is a bit steep, especially after the economic meltdown of 2008 when it was released. Finally, as we all know it has been available FOREVER, so as reseller I am glad I never bought a single copy, and I have no plans to regardless of the buy price. After 7 years of hoarding of this kit, Resellers will be "dumping" this kit for the next 10 years trying to get rid of it.

If you're talking about 10188, there's this guy:

0413d33701285148a867cc718eeeee01.jpg

and this guy:

$_35.JPG

...and that's about it.

I see two distinct possibilities, based on a new playset:  Positive - it's a different or almost identical copy with new Star Wars Characters from either this year's or next year's movie.  That should see the old one still appreciate, but maybe not as fast and an example of this is the 7965 Millennium Falcon.  The new Falcon is almost identical, but includes new characters and the old Falcon hasn't decreased in value based on sold ebay listings over the last 3 months.  The 94xx X-wing and Poe's X-wing is another example.

Negative - A copy of the 10188 Death Star with upgraded OT minifigures and the 10188 price will crash hard.  I lean to the first scenario, because it's more likely, or at least I hope that it is.

• Like 1

What's the big surprise?  Anybody who paid attention knew a new one was coming.  The next STAR WARS movie is based on the DEATH STAR for God's sake.  LOL.  Long term investors have nothing to fear IMO.  QFLLs, sorry, you are outta luck.  LEGO played you well.  At least you know the 10188 is done.  The situation is still the same as last week or last month or whenever.....The new one will in all likelihood, not be a duplicate of the 10188.  It will have different characters and a different design...my guess, probably an completed exterior like the 10143 and some removable interior panels that show inner greebles and minifigures...similar to the SSD.  Take a breath...

• Like 3

We all knew this was coming even though many did not wan't to believe it (and many still won't until 75159 is sitting in their laps). From what I have read so far I would have to guess it will be 10188 with updated figs, building techniques and power functions ready. $499 price point? I see no problem with that. That is all just speculation on my part based on what just2good has reported so far. Latest is this should be on sale the second half of 2016 after getting pushed back. That gives a bit of time to figure out and execute a solid game plan for 10188 (thankyou TLG for the extra 6 months). 

I am keeping in mind 75159 was most likely prototyped around 2 years ago as 10188 has been extended twice. I don't think that lends it to being starkiller base or a death star with characters from the new movies. Again just my read on things. I am leaning toward a Sandcrawler style refresh of 10188.

• Like 1

What was your best buy in price for 10188? $300? What profit would you like to get out of $300? I would like to see at least $150 profit in 2-3 years. For the price, length of time the kit has been available and the amount hoarded, and the hold time to see $150 profit, I am glad I passed on 10188. I did do pretty good on the 10143 however, but there was much less competition in those days.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, asharerin said:

We all knew this was coming even though many did not wan't to believe it (and many still won't until 75159 is sitting in their laps). From what I have read so far I would have to guess it will be 10188 with updated figs, building techniques and power functions ready. $499 price point? I see no problem with that. That is all just speculation on my part based on what just2good has reported so far. Latest is this should be on sale the second half of 2016 after getting pushed back. That gives a bit of time to figure out and execute a solid game plan for 10188 (thankyou TLG for the extra 6 months). 

I am keeping in mind 75159 was most likely prototyped around 2 years ago as 10188 has been extended twice. I don't think that lends it to being starkiller base or a death star with characters from the new movies. Again just my read on things. I am leaning toward a Sandcrawler style refresh of 10188.

I could be wrong but I thought he said something like "bigger & better." A re-do would be neither...

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, asharerin said:

Nobody but corporate LEGO and some Disney reps know the makeup of the new Death Star, but what sense would it make to rehash a set that was around for 7-8 years?  None really.  Why would scenes and characters from a 40 year old movie be used when a brand new movie based on the new events surrounding the Death Star is being released in the same year?  Maybe the two year extension on the 10188 was to give LEGO designers time to update the new Death Star to current characters and scenes from the Rogue One movie. 

You can see how LEGO is clearing house of Original Trilogy STAR WARS sets.  They want the new one to be relative for a couple of years I would imagine.  I would also imagine that Darth Vader will also be included in the new version, so that is a bonus.  The build of the new one could be much larger or not, but common sense would dictate new characters in the set.  By late 2016, you will have more than enough new content to produce LEGO sets out the wazoo without rehashing old sets....LOL

22 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

You can see how LEGO is clearing house of Original Trilogy STAR WARS sets.  They want the new one to be relative for a couple of years I would imagine.  I would also imagine that Darth Vader will also be included in the new version, so that is a bonus.  The build of the new one could be much larger or not, but common sense would dictate new characters in the set.  By late 2016, you will have more than enough new content to produce LEGO sets out the wazoo without rehashing old sets....LOL

Depends on the planned lifetime of the set. If they want to sell it again for at least 5 years then in my opinion basing it mostly on the Rogue One movie does not make lot of sense. It might be a good movie, but I have a guess that people won't care much about its characters 1-2 years after its release especially if there is a new movie every year. 

With this speed we will have a plethora of new but possibly forgettable characters just in a few years. However people will buy this for a high price (say $500-$600) if it includes enough iconic ones. The OT will be always iconic and there will be always demand for it. And the structure of demand for exclusives is different. They have to be recognizable and somewhat more durable to the test of time. On the other hand play sets are mostly impulse buys, meaning children want the most what they see in the movies currently.

So LEGO can serve the full OT demand by selling a stuffed Death Star with all of the classic characters while cranking out new movie play sets. So I am skeptical about the new DS's connection. Maybe 3-4 Rogue One characters out of the 20+, and the rest classic. 10188 already mixed EPIV and EPVI, why not mix 3 movies? Some characters are constant anyway, like Vader, troopers, Emperor etc.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, inversion said:

Depends on the planned lifetime of the set. If they want to sell it again for at least 5 years then in my opinion basing it mostly on the Rogue One movie does not make lot of sense. It might be a good movie, but I have a guess that people won't care much about its characters 1-2 years after its release especially if there is a new movie every year. 

With this speed we will have a plethora of new but possibly forgettable characters just in a few years. However people will buy this for a high price (say $500-$600) if it includes enough iconic ones. The OT will be always iconic and there will be always demand for it. And the structure of demand for exclusives is different. They have to be recognizable and somewhat more durable to the test of time. On the other hand play sets are mostly impulse buys, meaning children want the most what they see in the movies currently.

So LEGO can serve the full OT demand by selling a stuffed Death Star with all of the classic characters while cranking out new movie play sets. So I am skeptical about the new DS's connection. Maybe 3-4 Rogue One characters out of the 20+, and the rest classic. 10188 already mixed EPIV and EPVI, why not mix 3 movies? Some characters are constant anyway, like Vader, troopers, Emperor etc.

Yes, it could be a mix of characters and movies.  The Death Star itself is static, so it's possible there could be sections dedicated to classic scenes and characters.  I have to wonder if a $500 set would begin to limit its sales to mainly adults and rich kids...almost an "elitist" toy.  LOL.