75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 6 months later...

I pontificate that the 149.99 large set due out on September 30th for the Rogue One Force Friday event will most surely be Tantive IV.  

Here's my speculation to why this set is a huge possibility.  What can be a 149.99 set?  Surely not a new AT-AT, because they are rumored to be smaller than the ones from Hoth in this movie, if you read all the spoilers.  Tantine IV hasn't seen a remake in a lot of years and the last time was in 2009.  Sounds like a perfect place for it.  This ship will also be in the movie, since the movie will end with the DS plans being placed in the hands of Princess Leia on Tantine IV.   Second, the new Droid Escape Pod will somehow work with this thing.  

Rumor is we also will definitely see a new AT-ST, and supposedly AT-AT's are on the packaging materials.  I suspect both vehicles are remade in the first wave of Rogue One sets.  That gives us 2 other sets that are unknowns... plus a DS.  I'm still under the assumption the new DS will be based on Rogue One, and be another one of these 250.00 sets.  I could be wrong, but i'd be shocked if this is a direct rehash of the original DS.  I just don't see it happening....  There's another rumor of a "playset" in the movie based on a fight scene.  That takes up another set.

Starkiller Base could be possible.  But, let's hope it's not some lame boring 500.00 model of the planet.  SNORE me to death.  I doubt Lego goes that route, anymore.  I suspect we see more sets like Hoth Rebel base and less sets like the old DS2.  Lego's market isn't a handful of elitist AFOL's that don't want their toys to look like toys.  Their market is kids that spend time building, then playing with their creations.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:34 AM, Ed Mack said:

The timing of this has "Rogue One Death Star" all over it.

I very much hope you're right.  We're not going to get another trash compactor scene in Rogue One are we?  'Cause 10188's value is all about the trash pit squid monster thing.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 5:47 PM, Val-E said:

So , Hoth, Snowspeeder and DS make 3 UCS SW sets next year. That´s enough for one year so one wonders when the inevitable Poe X wing, BB8 and ISD versions will come out.

Has Lego ever released three SW exclusives in one year?  Just sayin'...

On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Ed Mack said:

I just have to wonder is unless the new DS is radically improved or different, how many people are going to rush out and pay $400-$500 for one?  There has to be some hangover from the 10188 and also the knowledge that the new one can be around for YEARS.  

I already am saving my money for one. 

I like the speculation that the new supposed DS will be connected with the new movie. No matter what this set is, I will get at least two copies for my collection. I'm already saving my VIP points for them. 

I like the speculation that the new supposed DS will be connected with the new movie. No matter what this set is, I will get at least two copies for my collection. I'm already saving my VIP points for them. 

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone got the May the 4th promo in the mail, but it has a picture of the actual lego force awakens poster, and on it is the lego depiction of Starkiller Base.  Makes me wonder if this is a teaser for what could be the set?  I could actually see something like that being the set.  If it is like the image on the lego poster, I could see it open up, creating two half spheres that reveal a bunch of scenes from the Force Awakens.  I'm starting to think this could be the rumored set at the end of the year!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I don't know if anyone got the May the 4th promo in the mail, but it has a picture of the actual lego force awakens poster, and on it is the lego depiction of Starkiller Base.  Makes me wonder if this is a teaser for what could be the set?  I could actually see something like that being the set.  If it is like the image on the lego poster, I could see it open up, creating two half spheres that reveal a bunch of scenes from the Force Awakens.  I'm starting to think this could be the rumored set at the end of the year!

I've looked and what's on the poster is two half spheres like the planet domes from those small sets from 2013 like this one: http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=98107pb05&idColor=85#T=S&C=85&O={%22color%22:85,%22ss%22:%22US%22,%22rpp%22:%22500%22}

That would not make a $100+ set ... so perhaps this is a $19.99 "Starkiller Base" set consisting of two planet cylinders and a few bricks in between. It'll definitely not fit "a bunch of scenes from the Force Awakens".

I think at this stage it is confirmed to be the Death Star, not the Starkiller Base or anything else. Unclear if it is a rehash of 10143 or 10188, although someone who has seen it described it as a "bigger and better" version of 10188, but most don't want to believe that for obvious reasons.

Let's hope for a StarKiller base.

However, I still think it might a DS because of 1) Rogue One , 2) the 'iconic-ness' of the original DS and 3) the "station is...the ultimate power in universe" .

ImageUploadedByBrickpicker Forum1461853601.744832.jpg

• Like 1

This is the flagship SW set and will be around for many years so I don't think it will be tied to any one particular movie. Expect a big price tag as it will be around for a long while. It might be fun to crush our heroes in the trash compactor or place Vader's helmet on with power functions. Pieces and building techniques have come along since the 2006 10188 prototype o I am expecting some big improvements and alot of new features.

22 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Let's hope for a StarKiller base.

However, I still think it might a DS because of 1) Rogue One , 2) the 'iconic-ness' of the original DS and 3) the "station is...the ultimate power in universe" .

ImageUploadedByBrickpicker Forum1461853601.744832.jpg

I kind of agree with this. I think the set coming out right when Rogue One will be at the height of the frenzy would be the best bet.

Although, I do think a starkiller base set could work too, if it's a planet that is opened up to reveal a playset inside.

18 minutes ago, trekgate502 said:

is there any proof that this is in fact a death star beyond speculation ?

maybe Ed Mack is selling his death star fleet as we speak

No actual proof, but I would not call Starkiller base as a good candidate for a set. It is a damned planet with a glorified trench running along the equator... Calling it a base makes people compare it with an actual one, like the DS.

No way that a set will be done, at least not on the planet scale. Best candidate is something like the Battle on Takodana, but that would not be an exclusive, just a regular set. EPVII was a good movie, but very far from being so iconic that people would want to make a UCS set out of a planet. UCS Coruscant, somebody? 

Edited by inversion

26 minutes ago, trekgate502 said:

is there any proof that this is in fact a death star beyond speculation ?

maybe Ed Mack is selling his death star fleet as we speak

I don't think we have proof, per se. Just this, which can obviously change (as we've seen)...

75159.jpg

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 1

For it to be "bigger and better" the price tag would be crazy high, wouldn't it?

As it was, 3800+ pieces with 24 minis for $400--and released 8 years ago. With EV and AoH pricing (factoring in the license and minifigures), I'd estimate $500-600 as a new release today.

Just curious to see if TLG is ready to go that high. Anything less than $600 would be less than 10188, and then what's the point?

Listed as UCS... AoH is UCS...

If Lego gives this the Attack on Hoth treatment, 10188 has nothing to worry about. :derisive:

That's a good point. This absolutely could be just scenes tied together. We've had the throne room and the gunner station recently. Why not some other key rooms. And maybe a micro sized DS for good measure to display next to it.

As for the tie between the movie poster and a potential set for Starkiller Base - when the poster came out some months back, the same speculation was made. Nothing has changed but I don't have a feeling it's going to be SKB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

That's a good point. This absolutely could be just scenes tied together. We've had the throne room and the gunner station recently. Why not some other key rooms. And maybe a micro sized DS for good measure to display next to it.

As for the tie between the movie poster and a potential set for Starkiller Base - when the poster came out some months back, the same speculation was made. Nothing has changed but I don't have a feeling it's going to be SKB.

To your first point: I was thinking exactly the same. What if they took the interior scenes from 10188 - spiced them up a la Death Star Duel, and sold them as a collection of vignettes like AoH ......

Second point: In my earlier post I was trying to point out that the set on the poster looks like a $19.99 set, not a UCS Death Star. So I could see LEGO at some point release a SKB set at a low price point using those Planet molds from the 2013 sets.