21003 - Seattle Space Needle

cladner

Didn't see a thread dedicated to this set which I think is a sleeper other than its super long availability.  maybe one that's off the radar sort of like the ubiquitous Empire State Building that is turning to be a decent investment.  

From a seller point , the SSN is super light and cheap to ship.  

Just went to SOLD OUT at shop at home USA in the last 24 hours.  still in stock at TRU for shipping for $1.00 (5%) over MSRP.

Going to clear out the local bn stock this week.

• Like 2

Hmmmm,  2x MSRP 2 years after retiring and that one went before the big wave of Johhny come lately investors like myself joined the party. At half price SSN could make sense but certainly not at full rrp - there are a whole heap of CITY sets in that price bracket that are doing a lot better. Villa Savoye is already at nearly 2x rrp 2 months after retiring and UN building is doing nicely too.

Hmmmm,  2x MSRP 2 years after retiring and that one went before the big wave of Johhny come lately investors like myself joined the party. At half price SSN could make sense but certainly not at full rrp - there are a whole heap of CITY sets in that price bracket that are doing a lot better. Villa Savoye is already at nearly 2x rrp 2 months after retiring and UN building is doing nicely too.

Not in US

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, yeti70 said:

My local BAM still has these for $19.40 out-the-door with my membership - is this still a bargain worth stocking up on?

I would try to find a discount gift card to go with that

Architecture in general has a decent history of going up.  Even though I live in the US, i'm not passing up available architecture sets that I can find slightly below retail, and that includes the Space Needle, Brandenberg Gate, Leaning Tower of Pisa, and Villa Savoye.   Just look at last years sets.  Farnsworth is selling for 125 on amazon.  Sydney Opera House is around 75ish (for a set easily found in the 20's), Fallingwater is hovering well over the 200 mark.  That's less than 1 year after retirement!  The only set that is so-so is the Empire State Building.  I decided to dump all my stash of those around black friday when they were around 45.00, and I think that was a decent move.  And the reason that set's growth is slowed is because a more and improved ESB is in the NY City Skyline set.  The original Burj has also taken a hit. 

So, unless there is a new and improved Space Needle, which I doubt will happen soon, I think it has a lot of room for good growth.  I wouldn't doubt seeing it in the 60's a year and a half from now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Architecture in general has a decent history of going up.  Even though I live in the US, i'm not passing up available architecture sets that I can find slightly below retail, and that includes the Space Needle, Brandenberg Gate, Leaning Tower of Pisa, and Villa Savoye.   Just look at last years sets.  Farnsworth is selling for 125 on amazon.  Sydney Opera House is around 75ish (for a set easily found in the 20's), Fallingwater is hovering well over the 200 mark.  That's less than 1 year after retirement!  The only set that is so-so is the Empire State Building.  I decided to dump all my stash of those around black friday when they were around 45.00, and I think that was a decent move.  And the reason that set's growth is slowed is because a more and improved ESB is in the NY City Skyline set.  The original Burj has also taken a hit. 

So, unless there is a new and improved Space Needle, which I doubt will happen soon, I think it has a lot of room for good growth.  I wouldn't doubt seeing it in the 60's a year and a half from now.

I think ESB growth is slowed because it was available for almost 6 years.

10 minutes ago, cladner said:

i sold 2 empire state buildings last week on amazon fbm to the same buyer for $86 total - $26  buyin for both  from TRU BOGO 50% with discounted gift card.  if that's so so i'll take it.

space needle will do as well if not better.

Still prices have fallen over the last month.  At the peak, the lowest was around 49.00 around early november, but that was before the NYC set images were released.  After the NYC set was shown, prices have fallen down 10.00 at the lower end.  I think it's potential has been greatly hit due to the release of the NYC set, and doubt very much we see it go higher than 50.00 until that set is retired...

6 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

There's only 41 people reselling this on amazon at the moment.  So, it's not hoarded like Santa's Workshop or any SW sets.  It's actually got a low number, for a set that was out that long. 

42 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

Thank you all that replied to my SSN inquiry - the responses were most helpful.

Seems it (the SSN) is selling for a little more than what I can get it - I think I will go ahead and grab at least 2 and wait awhile to see what they do.

I am new to all of this, just joined this site last night and the SSN will be my 2nd potential 'investment' purchase for me.

Thank you all, again.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

lowest FBA:  $104.99.  seller count:  16.

wow.  i sold out of these long ago and made good money  but those still holding are looking at fantastic gains.

surprised there hasn't been a larger architecture or creator space needle set yet. followed by a seattle skyline set.

Edited by cladner

• 1 year later...