75828 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1 & Ecto-2

jaisonline

Guest xuesongc

The old ecto-1 most certainly will be hurt by the new ecto-1. Not saying it wont do well after retirement but the new ecto-1 will take at least SOME buyers.

I like this new one. I like the female minifigs as well. Looks like some new hair elements. I think it's all good for the old Ecto - either it retires soon when this comes out (good), the movie is good which increases interest in the franchise (good), or the movie sucks which adds to the nostalgia of the old version (also good). I'll be interested to see if there are additional sets in this line though, is this the only one?

9 minutes ago, xuesongc said:

The old ecto-1 most certainly will be hurt by the new ecto-1. Not saying it wont do well after retirement but the new ecto-1 will take at least SOME buyers.

Absolutely. Now we wait for this new one to retire & then hope Lego doesn't release a 2-in-1 Ecto-1 where you build both cars & get all minifigures for $49.99...

• Like 1

The old echo will do better than the New one. The new echo with the females is trying to aplease to today's generations. The old echo (in my point of view) will do better than the New one in the secondary market. 

Honestly, I do think that there will be interest in the new ecto-1 because it is new, however nostalgia will preserve the older ecto's value. Considering that the old one has been hoarded- that will hurt value more than a new different version.

• 3 months later...
I like it more than the real car.

It's also funny that the box says 2016 Movie! As if real fans won't know the difference.

No kidding. 2016 Movie is a really weird badge to put in there. I guess it's to avoid confusion with the IDEAS set from the original? Very strange.

No kidding. 2016 Movie is a really weird badge to put in there. I guess it's to avoid confusion with the IDEAS set from the original? Very strange.

I think they think they're gonna have a hit on their hands. "Look at how many we sold if that old version! We can make a fortune selling the 2016 version." Hysterical...

Looks terrible compared to the older version. However, the older version has definitely been massively stockpiled by the likes of many of us. Hopefully there will be a bit of profit to be made on the old version eventually. I suppose the older sets sales after retirement will be another indicator of how things are looking generally on the investment front.

This is a cool set! Luckily what helps the old set is the exclusive vintage mini figures made for that particular set. Not too many people who are casual Ghostbusters fans will pay $349.99 for the GB Headquarters just to get the minifigs! 

Still, I wouldn't be expecting Back to the Future like profits when the current Ecto-1 retires either. 

On 27-5-2016 at 11:17 PM, dcdfan said:

I think they think they're gonna have a hit on their hands. "Look at how many we sold if that old version! We can make a fortune selling the 2016 version." Hysterical...

Aren't we thinking the same with our investments? "Look at the values of those old version lego sets! We can make a fortune if we all make sure to have 100 copies of the new version in our stock rooms." 

Edited by Ciglione
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Say what you will about this movie, I'll be getting this set as soon as I can.  Plus it'll look great next to the new dimensions stuff ;)

Set is scheduled for a 1 July release.  Anyone ever analyze the trends on what type of sets VIPs get early access to?

12 minutes ago, Ecto said:

Set is scheduled for a 1 July release.  Anyone ever analyze the trends on what type of sets VIPs get early access to?

Only Store exclusives will at times get a VIP early access treatment, as far as I've seen. 

I've not ever seen any Ideas set or regular play set that gets sold in toy stores be given a VIP early access treatment.

So they print the BIG side panel pieces and leave us to sticker all the TINY stuff? Is that what I heard him say? I have to say the MINIFIGURES are very nicely done and the printed proton packs are nice as well.  I want to like this car, and I guess it is slowly growing on me.  It having those printed side panels REALLY helps my view on it.   

Edited by Martae54

So, pros compared with the original Ghostbusters Ecto-1 set: opening doors, and all 4 minifigs fit neatly in the car, unique hairpieces, unique monster minifig.

Cons are: stickers ! :(  And of course no nostalgic connection to this set, compared to the Lego Ideas set.

lego sets aside, the more i found out about this movie,  the less i think it will be a success. 

i just heard the official song. the guitar rift is sorta cool, the background noise (music) drains out the vocals.

too bad they didn't use Ray Parker Jr with the song's background noise and echo sound effects..

4 hours ago, jaisonline said:

lego sets aside, the more i found out about this movie,  the less i think it will be a success. 

i just heard the official song. the guitar rift is sorta cool, the background noise (music) drains out the vocals.

too bad they didn't use Ray Parker Jr with the song's background noise and echo sound effects..

"I'm not afraid"? How dare they be grammatically correct. :beee: Ha. Well it isn't that bad ....and it isn't that good either. For me the remix sounds like music used for the credits roll, not as the main theme. Considering the original tune was from the 80s, perhaps they could have picked from one of the many good artists who specialize in capturing that distinct "retro" sound instead of going modern hipster then again this is supposed Ghostbusters for the new generation.

Review of the set (75828) is up at Bricksethttp://brickset.com/article/22205

Ignoring the movie and just looking at the set, I think it's a really nice looking set. Since it's not an Ideas set (which has really limited availability here in The Netherlands) but a movie tie-in, I expect the set to be widely available in toy stores parallel to the movie showing in the theatres. Which also means that it will be eligible for the usual discounts during availability. Even more if the movie bombs, which remains to be seen. ;) 

Nice side-by-side comparison with the original (Ideas) Ecto-1 at https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickset/27835472895/in/album-72157669129253260/

75828 Ghostbusters Ecto1 and 2

Personally I want to add this set to my collection, but I will wait for a nice discount first before handing over my cash. ;) 

Edited by Haay
removed empty lines