41130 - Amusement Park Roller Coaster

Migration

14 hours ago, jbacunn said:

I think you guys are being a little harsh. For AFOL's, no it's not something we would want. For an 8 year old girl, I think it's kinda neat. We are not the target customer. 

I agree we're not the target customer, but I still think it stinks. It just seems there was very little effort put into the roller coaster. It's a sad little coaster.

• Like 1

It is a junior coaster which are very minimal, short, and at best moderately exciting. They are designed and made as easygoing thrills rides just for the kids. The sorts that won't make them ralph up their lunch or fertilize their pants. Haha. Back to the set, using fixed tracks limit what can be made with the build here. Honestly I don't see how any other setup aside from the displayed oval could be achieved without first purchasing a handful of the set. Also the train tracks are rather large for a roller coaster making the cars look smaller than they probably should and the layout larger than need be. Then again I am not sure what else LEGO could have used as coaster rails instead. I feel this is a start to something better but right now socks will stay put.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is some good high-res pictures and a lengthy review of this set here at the URL below. It's a bit of a let down, but at $99, I don't think it's horrible. I really don't like the bright blue tracks (why not just do dark grey?). I'm also kinda bugged that they included a Ferris Wheel in the set. I know that Friends and Creator aren't necessarily meant to be companions, but we already have an epic ferris wheel, why put a tiny lame version of it in the set? Why not another ride, for variety? It's like the carousel in the WVM....why? 

For $99 this set doesn't seem awful, but it's a bummer that there isn't more tie potential in with Ferris Wheel or Mixer. The colors and scale seem like it might fit Jokerland. Check out the photos and commentary below. 

http://www.bricktoynews.com/lego-friends-amusement-park-roller-coaster-photos/

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, MarleyMoose said:

I feel they've missed a great opportunity here.

They should've used all the pieces in the roller coaster and not have added in the dinky ferris wheel, etc. With that said, I'm still going to buy it. There's no other Lego roller coaster set out there.

This can be a good opportunity for boys to pay more attention to the Friends line if they want to have an amusement park with the hot dog cart. If big box stores will put this set with the City it might do well. But it will most likely be tugged into the Friends area with the girls toys. This will be a sleeper.

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

The lack of station and loading/unloading area is weak.

It has an entrance point as shown on picture #2.  Why would a county fair type ride like this need a station or loading area ?  Smaller coaster like this is usually just surrounded by fence with an entrance for people to come in and out.  

24 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

It has an entrance point as shown on picture #2.  Why would a county fair type ride like this need a station or loading area ?  Smaller coaster like this is usually just surrounded by fence with an entrance for people to come in and out.  

Well, shoot, I thought that was a kissing booth.  Mary needed a turnstile at our county fair for sure.

1. Ferris wheel and this are not meant to be competitors (like the X-Wings a while ago).

2. It seems to me that they were trying to put in variety instead of a big rollercoaster. For playsets this is a better choice. Why would you need 2 extra turns, what does it add to play value? More and larger stuff would also mean higher price. This set is excellent if you evaluate it in the context it belongs to. 

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1