Brick by Brick, Breaking Down Expensive Lego Sets: 7181 UCS TIE Interceptor

Um, I can't imagine how long this article took to write, brick breakdown, research, and putting in the time to find the lot. You have a facility with language and Legos, a true collector with passion.  Put those 2 things together and what you have is a very detailed, interesting and wonderfully read piece. I enjoyed it immensely, A++++++++ 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, drow76abs said:

Um, I can't imagine how long this article took to write, brick breakdown, research, and putting in the time to find the lot. You have a facility with language and Legos, a true collector with passion.  Put those 2 things together and what you have is a very detailed, interesting and wonderfully read piece. I enjoyed it immensely, A++++++++ 

Thanks, that's so nice. I spent 4 hours writing and linking last night, I know because it was from when the kids went to bed. When I was done I looked at the clock and said, "Dang, it's been 4 hours?" I had to do some quick editing today, and previous to sitting down to write, I can't really tell you.

Let you in on a secret, I am afraid of doing 10179 because once I do that, what's going to top that? LOL

Very awesome articles! I particularly appreciate the breakdown of the 'ultra rare' parts for these sets, and their approximate values. Reviewing others besides 10179 would still bring this information to the front of the table, which is highly useful to have at a glance!  Great writing, great reading. Keep it up! 

Looks like there's a walking AtAt in there. congrats on the lot of find! Great review also, very much enjoyed reading it. I'm curious if anyone has tried to turn the new Tie fighter into a Tie interceptor with the cooler color scheme. It would be interesting to see if there are enough pieces in the new tie wing to create a cool interceptor wing.

1 hour ago, mudcatsfan said:

I'm curious if anyone has tried to turn the new Tie fighter into a Tie interceptor with the cooler color scheme. It would be interesting to see if there are enough pieces in the new tie wing to create a cool interceptor wing.

I was thinking of that last night as I was writing. Also the lack of a good modern tie interceptor in minifigure scale too.

6 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Thanks, that's so nice. I spent 4 hours writing and linking last night, I know because it was from when the kids went to bed. When I was done I looked at the clock and said, "Dang, it's been 4 hours?" I had to do some quick editing today, and previous to sitting down to write, I can't really tell you.

Let you in on a secret, I am afraid of doing 10179 because once I do that, what's going to top that? LOL

10179 would take you years to do this way ;-)

38 minutes ago, meowsmeowsmeows said:

Your reviews of Star Wars sets and these new UCS part-by-part reviews are great.  They add a lot to the site and I really like them, and they complement the brickset reviews quite well.  I hope this continues on the site.

There's been some discussion of expanding into modulators, etc. All of the contributors are most concerned about adding quality content. For me, I plan to continue doing articles like you mention, as time permits, until people tell me that I am doing a bad job, or someone better comes along.

I want to thank everyone for all of the positive feedback. I am going to try for once a week on both reviews and set analysis. 

Now imagine that there use to be time when some local kmarts were closing and this set was on clearance at %50off back in the day, I still remember seeing it on shelf at that price.

when I was still buying bulk lots I managed to buy on eBay a lot that slipped completely under everybody's radar with a ton of good sets with instructions, this listing had a really poor title and description but I found gold in pics. paid about $300, I planned on building the sets and selling them separatelybut gave up on that and just resold it on eBay for about $950. 

Here are some good Lego lots, what sets can u spot? Lol

This is a fantastic series, thanks for putting in the time and effort! I'm toying with the idea of Bricklinking a 10018 Darth Maul set. I've already got my wishlists up, but I'm waiting for the few rarer pieces to pop up at a reasonable price (and from a seller with many of the more common bricks needed in large quantities) to kick things off. 

I was able to snag a Motorized AT-AT off of Craigslist last fall, look out for all the discolored pieces that will show up in the lot you purchased. I didn't take the time to Retrobright the pieces, as I was able to flip it for a decent short term profit. Are you planning to try to "fix" or replace the discolored bricks, if there are any?

I didn't wind up getting this lot. I look through lots like this and play a game where I try to figure out what's in there based on context clues. It's super nerdy and a little OCD. If I like what I see, I take a stab at it, sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't. Usually I learn something as I go through the sets and pictures. My very first large bulk lot, I mistook a picture of clone pilots for AT-AT Drivers. I've learned a few things in the years since then.

• 1 year later...