7962 - Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers

stephen_rockefeller

In some aspect, I feel for the guy. He is only 24 and his career was cut short due to the worst SW movie. He had no control over the his dialog (only 9 when filling began). Unfort, he needs cash. Thus, he attends conventions themed after the exact movie that ruined his career (I don't think his autograph lines are ever long). Unlike the prev. 3 movie, he was really the 1st SW actor who wasn't accepted by fans. Bad situation. It seems he isn't been handling the situation properly. Things prob would have been diff for him if Lucas had "yippie ca ho mutha f*%#h" instead.

Anyway....

To the original poster, how can you possible still want TWO of these sets? Ok, I agree abut buying 1 to build if you like the set. But 2?. Not much going for it in terms of secondary market demand. Please don't make the same mistake some of us did with buying this 'tank'.

LOL, that was an awesome hijacking of this thread. I knew very little of the actor who played young Ani, but now I feel so enlightened. As far as the sets go, I figured this was one I would open with my kids and enjoy, for 50 bucks its alot cheaper than MSRP and I know my son would like building it with me. Like I said, the guy wanted 60 for one but 100 for both, so I was thinking why not just get the other one for an additional 40 bucks? Sure there's better stuff I want but I guess I just figured that even with this set being lamented so much, I would still be able to unload it for a small profit. Jaisonline, have you tried selling one yet? How much did you pay originally?

I don't think that it can be called the 'worst' SW movie due to the competition from Hayden Christensen's 'talent' and script in AOTC. ;)

I remember on first impression thinking Hayden Christensen's AOTC performance was worse, but in retrospect I'd blame alot of that on the poor script and general plotline of that film. I found ROTS to be a much better film but I'm not sure if it was because Christensen's acting improved or just the fact that more significant events occurred with his character.

I am not a big fan of that set, but if you are planning on opening one anyway, seems like a good deal for the price. If you are willing to hold onto it for a while, seems pretty safe to at least get to MSRP long term. Could also be a sleeper MOC set as well for some of the unique orange pieces.

LOL, that was an awesome hijacking of this thread. I knew very little of the actor who played young Ani, but now I feel so enlightened.

As far as the sets go, I figured this was one I would open with my kids and enjoy, for 50 bucks its alot cheaper than MSRP and I know my son would like building it with me. Like I said, the guy wanted 60 for one but 100 for both, so I was thinking why not just get the other one for an additional 40 bucks? Sure there's better stuff I want but I guess I just figured that even with this set being lamented so much, I would still be able to unload it for a small profit. Jaisonline, have you tried selling one yet? How much did you pay originally?

Lol.

Seriously, not sure if we / I hijacked it. Granted we gave you way too much info that helps determine why this set is much more likely a dog than something special unless you buy at a steep discount (for me, even 25-50% off isn't enough for his one)

For a SW set to be popular after EOL, It greatly helps if at least 1/3rd of the fan-base likes what a Lego set is based on within a movie.

have you researched open sets with or without the box going prices to save even more money ? For example.. Instead of paying $50-$60 plus tax for a TRU Y-Wing, I bought my son a loose one w/o the box and 2 minifigs for $19 shipped. Then I added a mint box for $6 shipped.

In some aspect, I feel for the guy. He is only 24 and his career was cut short due to the worst SW movie. He had no control over the his dialog (only 9 when filling began). Unfort, he needs cash. Thus, he attends conventions themed after the exact movie that ruined his career (I don't think his autograph lines are ever long). Unlike the prev. 3 movie, he was really the 1st SW actor who wasn't accepted by fans. Bad situation. It seems he isn't been handling the situation properly. Things prob would have been diff for him if Lucas had "yippie ca ho mutha f*%#****" instead.

I agree. The kid got absolutely smashed by Star Wars fans and reviewers. The movie was a terrible disappointment and everyone wanted a kid that was a bit of a badass, one that they could see a bit of Vader in. That wasn't the direction he was given though. He was 9 at the time and only doing what he was told. Even Natalie Portman can't do anything with lines like "You are breaking my heart".

I have no doubt for every time he goes to the conventions that some ****** will say he ruined the franchise, that he didn't live up to the preconceptions of what a young Vader would be like. He would still be getting hammered for something that happened 13 years ago as a kid. Outside of getting money for it to fund his study, can you blame him for not being resentful? After the movie he would have been dropped like a hot potato and everyone try to forget he was even in it, yet I can just imagine the crap he would have had to deal with at school. Lucas himself said why would he bother making more SW movies when he got so much crap for the PT, imagine what the kid must have gone through. Whether he got adequate support to deal with it, who knows.

Anyway onto the set, I would be very wary about holding onto these for investment purchases. They aren't even flying off the shelf now they are EOL, which is an indicator IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the chance to buy two of these for $50 each from a guy on CL a few weeks back and passed after reading some of the feedback I got here. It just seems alot riskier than alot of the other options out there. Also, I agree with what the others are saying about the Phantom Menace sets not doing well. I had a Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator but after seeing how sluggish it was doing I decided to just open it and build it, and will probably sell the minifigs separately later as they will likely do better on their own. In fact this set is moving so slowly that Walmart still has them in stock online.

• 3 weeks later...

Bored at work and surfing through retailers hoping to spot a wacky deal. 50% off SW I couldn't resist even if it's not a WOW set or my favourite minifigures/scene. Retail in CAN is $119.95 over priced for sure but $59.98 is much better...gives me enough margin for flipping. Ordered 5 left in stock, confirmation looks good so hope it goes through. Will keep 2 sets long term and try to flip 3. http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/toys/anakins-sebulbas-podracers/673419145886-item.html?ikwid=Star+Wars+Anakin's+&ikwsec=Home&gcs_requestid=0CLit5avimLcCFRK5tAodvD8AAA

Guest ph4tb0i

This was going for half price at Toys R Us in March as well. If Indigo still has stock I take it that this may not be a popular set and might flop...

yeah, some members are not positive about the investment aspect of this set and I understand the reasons (looked at past posts/forums)...but in my local market it'll sell at the right price. At worse Chapters has a good return policy if I see absolutely no interest within 30days of delivery. Shelf space is not an issue for me. Good luck Junta on shipment...hope you didn't get my stock lol. Or hope you did if indeed this set is a dud ;) Still learning my dues on lego 'investing.'

• 3 weeks later...

I think it was hurting before the planet stuff came along, but that could be some of it. I agree its a nice looking set but I dont think I would be pay anywhere near retail for it.

I would feel better purchasing a gungan sub over the podracer set, and that's not saying much...

• 1 month later...

IMO, $54 is a good price...especially if you just want one and in CAN.  I think CAN retail is like $119 or something like that.  I have 4-5 of them around your $54 price and have a feeling I might need to sit on them for a long time...or just try to flip it for a really small margin.  You could put the $54 towards something else (tons of sets) but you might not find this set at retail anymore and at this price.  Buy it if you like the set but don't buy it for investment is my thinking on this set.