7962 - Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers

stephen_rockefeller

IMO, $54 is a good price...especially if you just want one and in CAN.  I think CAN retail is like $119 or something like that.  I have 4-5 of them around your $54 price and have a feeling I might need to sit on them for a long time...or just try to flip it for a really small margin.  You could put the $54 towards something else (tons of sets) but you might not find this set at retail anymore and at this price.  Buy it if you like the set but don't buy it for investment is my thinking on this set.       

Yeah great price - Investment not so much though

I'll price match Walmart in this thread. I have 2 sets that really need to be OUT of my house. Boxes are in nice shape.

Feel free to search for my rants about this set (the only Lego purchase I regret in my life). This isn't due to the set (it is cool) but because it's from the Phantom Menace.

Got mine for $60 up here in Canada. If you like it for $54, go for it, but if you want to invest, I`d see if you can find an Orc Forge for that price. Podrace may be a cool set (I`m a fan myself) but it will likely be more or less a flop investment wise, in that it is unlikely to go any higher then MSRP (judging by how many are still available months after EOL and the current value). Unless you feel that you are buying low enough (I think $54 and $60 is decent) to turn a profit, I`d avoid. This one is a gamble in any scenario you want to put it in. 

Feel free to search for my rants about this set (the only Lego purchase I regret in my life). This isn't due to the set (it is cool) but because it's from the Phantom Menace.

Haha, the vast majority of things from that film are more or less a wash. Terrible 2hr for big fans of SW  :banghead:

I posted a thread some months ago about finding a guy on Craigslist selling these for $50 apiece. I didn't buy them and guess what - he still has them, months later and he's reposted the listing. Only buy if you want to build. All indicators seem to show this set is an awful investment even at a low price.

From an investors standpoint this set is garbage, from a collector/builder standpoint I think this is a great set.

Truly ironic that this doesn`t always translate into solid investments. Some "ugly" sets seem to do well out there, for one reason or the other. I agree though. 

I'll price match Walmart in this thread. I have 2 sets that really need to be OUT of my house. Boxes are in nice shape.

I've got two of these I picked up for $37.50 usd including tax last year. Haven't been able to move them for a $20 profit on eBay. I feel like if you like this set you might be able to find one used but maybe not in Canada.

• 4 months later...

This may be of note to anyone who has some of these stashed away, Toys R Us apparently finally sold out of these as the listing isn't on the website anymore. Hopefully this will signal the rise from MSRP for these. I am pretty sure the demand is somewhat low, but who knows. It won't hurt. ;)

Guest eightbrick

I had one before sealed (50% off from TRU), but I returned it so I could get another Winter Cottage for 50% off. I think that was a better choice?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The consensus and the evidence is that it sucks as an investment . So unless you can get it for for really really cheap just pass on it. It has been discussed thoroughly but not for a while since nobody really cares for it and it's been retired for a while now. Use the search tool to find topics and discussions in the forums about the set. It's a pretty cool build in my opinion.

Any thoughts on this set?

Oh, plenty of thoughts. About five separate threads worth. Haha. (All have been merged into this one now by the way.) Anyway, Stephen pretty much summarized the whole thing down. Unless you could or did get the set dirt cheap, it is not a good investment although it has picked up some steam but only enough to be worth about $20 less than retail. Cool build in a way; just an overpriced one from the start.

I bought one over a year ago for 1/2 off, when I was just starting to really give investing a serious try. Rookie mistake needless to say, it has little real value, virtually no desirability when compared to most other SW sets out there, and it`s unlikely to change. Oh well, I needed a new bookend...maybe it`s too big...dang! It won`t even function as that! :laugh: