STAR WARS VIII - "The Last Jedi" - Movie Discussion

jaisonline

You people are too literal.  The Jedi Order is done.  There will still be lightsaber-wielding force users, but the Jedi Order is clearly a failure and does not bring balance.  As far as I can tell they round up children and then fail to protect them against horrible, child-killing angsty young men. 

He is just the last person to be called Jedi.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sfcommando14 said:

You people are too literal.  The Jedi Order is done.  There will still be lightsaber-wielding force users, but the Jedi Order is clearly a failure and does not bring balance.  As far as I can tell they round up children and then fail to protect them against horrible, child-killing angsty young men. 

He is just the last person to be called Jedi.

That happened once. That's why pencils have erasers

Luke IS the last Jedi. Probably that's the meaning of it. He's been trained by two masters of the Jedi order, so he can be called Jedi master by now. But maybe he's gone through a process where he saw that the way of the Jedi isn't the only right thing so from now on there will be no more Jedis as we knew them?

Or maybe he's the last Jedi ... just right now... but who knows... Episode IX will be "return of the Jedi - again"

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I like the title.  Simple and to the point.  

Agreed.  In terms of marketing, it instantly states "This is Luke's film", and I think it will be incredible and the best of the 3 films that Disney has released so far.  I have good expectations for this one, even though I also enjoyed both The Force Awakens and Rogue One too.  But this is Luke's film, and it will be interesting to see where they take this. 

I personally hope Luke survives both Episode 8 and 9.  I'd rather see Rey and Kylo die off in this trilogy, and Luke lives on, and by the end of Episode 9 he re-establishes the Jedi Order and both Poe and Finn are part of it, since they both show they have force sensitive skills, even though they might not know it.  Then perhaps after a few anthology films, they can bust out a one or two part movie based on this new Jedi order that has an older, more mindful, fully functioning force user in it.  It would be great to see Luke's growth from episode 4 into an episode 10 or 11.  So, I hope they don't kill him off.  Sure, Leia is bound to be written out, and Han is dead... but that doesn't mean Luke can't live on beyond this trilogy, and to be honest he is the main character and the heart and soul of the franchise.  If they kill him off i'll be ticked.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I personally hope Luke survives both Episode 8 and 9.  I'd rather see Rey and Kylo die off in this trilogy, and Luke lives on, and by the end of Episode 9 he re-establishes the Jedi Order and both Poe and Finn are part of it, since they both show they have force sensitive skills, even though they might not know it.  Then perhaps after a few anthology films, they can bust out a one or two part movie based on this new Jedi order that has an older, more mindful, fully functioning force user in it.  It would be great to see Luke's growth from episode 4 into an episode 10 or 11.  So, I hope they don't kill him off.  Sure, Leia is bound to be written out, and Han is dead... but that doesn't mean Luke can't live on beyond this trilogy, and to be honest he is the main character and the heart and soul of the franchise.  If they kill him off i'll be ticked.

The one thing I can bet $1 on is Rey is not going to die.  Disney spent too much $ establishing a female jedi character, they are not going to throw the opportunity to make :money: out of it :P

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Agreed.  In terms of marketing, it instantly states "This is Luke's film", and I think it will be incredible and the best of the 3 films that Disney has released so far.  I have good expectations for this one, even though I also enjoyed both The Force Awakens and Rogue One too.  But this is Luke's film, and it will be interesting to see where they take this. 

I agree that Luke can live beyond the trilogy. Would happily place a side bet though that Rey isn't going anywhere.

I like the title, also the red coloring of Star Wars which has to mean something.

Note that if you connect the dots in the image, you can make an outline of Jar-Jar!

22 minutes ago, Val-E said:

One main character bites the dust in every film so it´s between Luke, Leia and one of the newer characters for Episode 8. Rey´s boyfriend is on the shortlist once they develop that story a bit more.

That doesn't have to be the case.  Plus, no major character died in Empire.

The only comment I have about these new movies is that if the next one is ANYTHING similar (copy/paste) of an entire previous movie. I'm going to have to rethink caring about Star Wars going forward and mostly the devotion I have with them and my kids.  

Is the movie actually good vs does it just have a title I used to like?

Example... The Hobbit movies.  Loved Lord of the Rings, but that first Hobbit one (going to the mountain or something) was stupid as hell.

• Like 1