STAR WARS VIII - "The Last Jedi" - Movie Discussion

jaisonline

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen Solo, but with knowledge of THAT spoiler, how do we know if Snoke is really dead in TLJ?  Both characters are killed off the same way.... Or hell at this point are we even sure the Emperor is dead.  Maybe he turned into a Force ghost right after Vader tossed him down the air shaft.  Too many rules are being created and broken for me to care about the Star Wars universe anymore.  I guess this has been going on forever though.  They killed off Spock in the most beloved film of the Star Trek franchise only to bring him back.  But at least they came up with a plausible "sci-fi'ish mystical" way of explaining it.  With these new Star Wars movies it's as if Disney is on a Kelvin timeline.

Edited by Mathew

I haven't seen Solo, but with knowledge of THAT spoiler, how do we know if Snoke is really dead in TLJ?  Both characters are killed off the same way.... Or hell at this point are we even sure the Emperor is dead.  Maybe he turned into a Force ghost right after Vader tossed him down the air shaft.  Too many rules are being created and broken for me to care about the Star Wars universe anymore.  I guess this has been going on forever though.  They killed off Spock in the most beloved film of the Star Trek franchise only to bring him back.  But at least they came up with a plausible "sci-fi'ish mystical" way of explaining it.  With these new Star Wars movies it's as if Disney is on a Kelvin timeline.

If you’re referring to the SPOILER I think you are, don’t blame this film. Blame Clone Wars and Rebels.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Yeah that “spoiler” was long established in the 2 animated shows they made awhile back. Solo actually KEPT continuity with those and in turn the deeper Star Wars universe... ironically haha

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I realize this is the Star Wars thread, but I came across this article after seeing "Ant Man and the Wasp," which I highly recommend!!!  Part of the issue we've all had with Star Wars of late is the lack of continuity.  I just want to share what kind of continuity is present with the MCU.  If ever there was a question why the MCU is hitting home run after home run, this one paragraph I think says it all:

"With Marvel, there is simply no way to know when and where a certain planted seed will sprout. We finally discovered what Project G.O.L.I.A.T.H. was after it was first mentioned eight years ago — in a deleted scene, no less. But this just goes to show how far Marvel plans ahead. It’s this sort of interconnected tissue that makes this cinematic universe so rewarding and so enthralling, going on ten years and counting." (https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-2-project-goliath-mention/)

The "cut-scene" referenced above is from Iron Man 2 (2010) and was only available for those who purchased the home release of the movie.  Think about that!  They used a reference from eight years ago to weave thoughts, projects, and characters into an interwoven universe.  Is there any wonder why the MCU is hitting home runs even with lesser characters?

I realize Disney will have to finish out this trilogy, most likely with a solid dud, or is "thud" more appropriate?  I hope and pray they wait a few years, if they can stomach that, and relaunch with the "Thrawn Trilogy" via Timothy Zahn and recast Luke, Leia, and Han.  (And make sure Rian Johnson has nothing to do with it)!  Shoot they already have a new Han, Chewie, and Lando thanks to Solo.  How hard could it be to find two more primary actors?  Thanks to Rebels, Disney actually maintained the authenticity of Thrawn, Rukh and even Captain Pellaeon to Zahn's trilogy.  The pieces are all there minus a new Luke and Leia.  Well, ok, also minus an exec prod who doesn't have their head up their butt, but almost everything else is there.  I have hope...  

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

So I realize this is the Star Wars thread, but I came across this article after seeing "Ant Man and the Wasp," which I highly recommend!!!  Part of the issue we've all had with Star Wars of late is the lack of continuity.  I just want to share what kind of continuity is present with the MCU.  If ever there was a question why the MCU is hitting home run after home run, this one paragraph I think says it all:

"With Marvel, there is simply no way to know when and where a certain planted seed will sprout. We finally discovered what Project G.O.L.I.A.T.H. was after it was first mentioned eight years ago — in a deleted scene, no less. But this just goes to show how far Marvel plans ahead. It’s this sort of interconnected tissue that makes this cinematic universe so rewarding and so enthralling, going on ten years and counting." (https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-2-project-goliath-mention/)

The "cut-scene" referenced above is from Iron Man 2 (2010) and was only available for those who purchased the home release of the movie.  Think about that!  They used a reference from eight years ago to weave thoughts, projects, and characters into an interwoven universe.  Is there any wonder why the MCU is hitting home runs even with lesser characters?

I realize Disney will have to finish out this trilogy, most likely with a solid dud, or is "thud" more appropriate?  I hope and pray they wait a few years, if they can stomach that, and relaunch with the "Thrawn Trilogy" via Timothy Zahn and recast Luke, Leia, and Han.  (And make sure Rian Johnson has nothing to do with it)!  Shoot they already have a new Han, Chewie, and Lando thanks to Solo.  How hard could it be to find two more primary actors?  Thanks to Rebels, Disney actually maintained the authenticity of Thrawn, Rukh and even Captain Pellaeon to Zahn's trilogy.  The pieces are all there minus a new Luke and Leia.  Well, ok, also minus an exec prod who doesn't have their head up their butt, but almost everything else is there.  I have hope...  

To be fair, CBR is a notorious pro Marvel shill and would tell you a director’s brain fart was all part of a cosmic plan. In this case, Ant-Man was meant to be the first Marvel movie, before even Iron Man, and kept getting sidetracked. This wasn’t a well laid plan from a decade ago but more a cobbled together salvage of a long ago screwup from a time when they had totally different people playing Hulk and Rhodey. X-men did similar things on purpose years before Iron Man, such as in X-men 2 where you are a list of computer files that reference famous comic book characters and projects, many of which showed up in subsequent movies

7 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

To be fair, CBR is a notorious pro Marvel shill and would tell you a director’s brain fart was all part of a cosmic plan. In this case, Ant-Man was meant to be the first Marvel movie, before even Iron Man, and kept getting sidetracked. This wasn’t a well laid plan from a decade ago but more a cobbled together salvage of a long ago screwup from a time when they had totally different people playing Hulk and Rhodey. X-men did similar things on purpose years before Iron Man, such as in X-men 2 where you are a list of computer files that reference famous comic book characters and projects, many of which showed up in subsequent movies

Perhaps, but you actually made my point for me.  There was a plan how to tie everything together.  So mistake or not, there was a plan. 

In the current SW trilogy, because Rian Johnson admitted he wanted to make SW VIII his (personally his) and thus rejected everything handed to him, there is no over-arching plan.  Johnson did not participate in the SW universe Lucas handed to Disney.  Accordingly, Johnson has set the entire SW saga onto a different set of rails.  Please note I did not say "derailed," rather it has been set onto a different path.  We'll see where this path ends up but as for now, with such lack of planning, they've lost many of us die-hard fans to the point that we no longer care where it ends up.  Maybe it'll be a train wreck, maybe it just goes off to Never-Never-Land.

To my point about the "story telling" (or lack thereof) this youtube video does a great job using the Fast and Furious series and MCU as examples of why they succeed while TLJ has failed and possibly killed the SW franchise with Johnson setting it on another course.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Stores around here could not get rid of these figs at >50% off, and EE is going to sell 12x at full price??? :shocked:

I'd like to sell a bunch of things to people who are buying these :D :D