How do you rank the Ep 7 Star Wars Lego sets?

Jaykay21

Disclaimer: if I should've attached this to another post, let me know moderators!

I recently bought two episode 7 Lego sets, Poe's X-Wing and the Millenium Falcon. However, I still thinking about getting one or two more. So, I thought I would ask what other people consider to be on their must have list for episode 7 from most to least desirable? Here is mine:

1. Poe's X wing

2. millenium falcon

3. Either Kylo Rens command shuttle or First Order Transporter

4. first order tie fighter

5. Rey's speeder

6. Snow speeder 

I liked the build of the Resistance Troop Transporter, but I did not love the finished product. I did not like the build of the First Order Troop Transporter, and the finished product is dull. The TIE Fighter is excellent. Very satisfying in both build and finished product. Rey's Speeder is a neat little quick build. I have not built the Snowspeeder yet and have no plans to build Ren's Shuttle. The reviews on the shuttle are almost universally negative. The Battle of Takodana is good enough for what it is. Take a look at the various reviews on this site. I tried to give pictures enough to give you an idea of how interesting the build may or may not be. I have not built the Falcon because I fairly recently built 7965.

My personal preference 

1. Poe's X wing (love the colors)

3.  Rey's speeder ( I dont think we will ever get this again or Rey with the mask ever again.  Might be a good flip

2. millenium falcon (has the most to it in the FA sets so far but also similar to older Falcon)

4. First Order Transporter (a little plain and grey but still cool and good use of minifigs

3. first order tie fighter (Now that it is discounted to 55 at major retail stores, 70 was too much)

5. Kylo Ren Ship-  This was a bad set- the wings dont fold, its grey and not black and kylo ren has no face under his mask unlike the good version of him with Battle of Tokodana.  I am skipping this set and buying the next version in a couple years.  Custom builds of this ship are awesome but not the lego one 

6. Snow speeder Wasnt in movie at all, supposedly the scene was cut, but it has good minifigs.

Here's how i'd rank em'.  The only sets we havent built yet is Poe's X-wing, the Resistance Troop Transport and that Snowspeeder.

1.  Millennium Falcon - It's just a classic well done ship, and the build is fun.  Minifigure selection was grand, and I think overall this is the one ship everyone should buy if you are going to buy one set.

2.  Kylo Ren's Shuttle.  Regardless of what everyone else says, I personally like and enjoyed the build.  The build was technical, and in order to save space so you could fit it on a shelf, they made the design decision to make the wings fold down.  I think that is pure genius move, otherwise this ship would take up way too much space to accommodate those huge wings.  My only gripe is the ship is barely big enough to fit all the figures that come with it.  As for the minifigure selection - very very well done!

3. Rey's Speeder Bike - I personally like it.  It's almost on par with the movie vehicle, and it's well done and a nice replica.

4.  FO Transporter.  Yes, it's a box, but it's got interesting features.  Good selection of minifigures.  And at least the ship is unique.

5.  FO Tie Fighter. I knock this one down, because it's basically a clone of the OT tie.  Not really much of a design upgrade. 

6.  FO Troop Battle Pack.  Awesome minfigures, and the mini build is alright too.

7. Resistance Battle Pack - Minifigures are ok, the speeder is nicer.

8.  Maz Kanata's Castle. Incomplete set just to sell minifigures.  Would rather see a bigger castle (ala Tower of Orthancesque with 12 minifigures).. 

2 hours ago, CoastaLego said:

My personal preference 

1. Poe's X wing (love the colors)

3.  Rey's speeder ( I dont think we will ever get this again or Rey with the mask ever again.  Might be a good flip

2. millenium falcon (has the most to it in the FA sets so far but also similar to older Falcon)

4. First Order Transporter (a little plain and grey but still cool and good use of minifigs

3. first order tie fighter (Now that it is discounted to 55 at major retail stores, 70 was too much)

5. Kylo Ren Ship-  This was a bad set- the wings dont fold, its grey and not black and kylo ren has no face under his mask unlike the good version of him with Battle of Tokodana.  I am skipping this set and buying the next version in a couple years.  Custom builds of this ship are awesome but not the lego one 

6. Snow speeder Wasnt in movie at all, supposedly the scene was cut, but it has good minifigs.

I love the x wingtoo and after that and the falcon set me back a bit of cash, maybe the speeder would be a perfect way to finish it off...except I don't really need two Rey's! 

3 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I liked the build of the Resistance Troop Transporter, but I did not love the finished product. I did not like the build of the First Order Troop Transporter, and the finished product is dull. The TIE Fighter is excellent. Very satisfying in both build and finished product. Rey's Speeder is a neat little quick build. I have not built the Snowspeeder yet and have no plans to build Ren's Shuttle. The reviews on the shuttle are almost universally negative. The Battle of Takodana is good enough for what it is. Take a look at the various reviews on this site. I tried to give pictures enough to give you an idea of how interesting the build may or may not be. I have not built the Falcon because I fairly recently built 7965.

Hmm interesting, it seems that those who don't like the x wing or tie fighter for FA is be used its too similar to previous models...not really a concern of mine, though. I haven't seen it go on sale yet in Canada  but I will definitely keep an eye out...would go well with my ship theme at least 

2 hours ago, fossilrock said:

Here's how i'd rank em'.  The only sets we havent built yet is Poe's X-wing, the Resistance Troop Transport and that Snowspeeder.

1.  Millennium Falcon - It's just a classic well done ship, and the build is fun.  Minifigure selection was grand, and I think overall this is the one ship everyone should buy if you are going to buy one set.

2.  Kylo Ren's Shuttle.  Regardless of what everyone else says, I personally like and enjoyed the build.  The build was technical, and in order to save space so you could fit it on a shelf, they made the design decision to make the wings fold down.  I think that is pure genius move, otherwise this ship would take up way too much space to accommodate those huge wings.  My only gripe is the ship is barely big enough to fit all the figures that come with it.  As for the minifigure selection - very very well done!

3. Rey's Speeder Bike - I personally like it.  It's almost on par with the movie vehicle, and it's well done and a nice replica.

4.  FO Transporter.  Yes, it's a box, but it's got interesting features.  Good selection of minifigures.  And at least the ship is unique.

5.  FO Tie Fighter. I knock this one down, because it's basically a clone of the OT tie.  Not really much of a design upgrade. 

6.  FO Troop Battle Pack.  Awesome minfigures, and the mini build is alright too.

7. Resistance Battle Pack - Minifigures are ok, the speeder is nicer.

8.  Maz Kanata's Castle. Incomplete set just to sell minifigures.  Would rather see a bigger castle (ala Tower of Orthancesque with 12 minifigures).. 

I'll think about Kylo rens shuttle now thanks to your post. I'm not a fan of its color scheme and the lack of wing expansion is silly, seems like if they ever do release another version that it will almost certainly allow the wings to expand. Still enjoy the look of it though. For the tie fighter, if you disregard its similarities to the previous model and just consider the model for someone whose never built a tie before, what are your thoughts?

6 hours ago, Jaykay21 said:

I'll think about Kylo rens shuttle now thanks to your post. I'm not a fan of its color scheme and the lack of wing expansion is silly, seems like if they ever do release another version that it will almost certainly allow the wings to expand. Still enjoy the look of it though. For the tie fighter, if you disregard its similarities to the previous model and just consider the model for someone whose never built a tie before, what are your thoughts?

I'm not sure what you mean by the wings not expanding.  The wings when they are expanded from "storage mode" very much resemble the ship in the movie.  So, the wings look just like they do in the movie.  They also use a dark grey for most of the ship, and that's close to what it looks like in the movie.  I guess, in the movie the ship is more of a charcoal grey.

I see a lot of people complain about Kylo's ship, and the main gripe is that the "wings don't fold down in the movie".  But, it's evident to me they did this not for "authenticity" but to make it easier to store on shelves.  When the wings are expanded, this thing is a little taller than an at-at by a few inches.  It's evident they made the wings foldable, so that you could stick it on a common shelf that is around 12 inches tall.  

As for the tie-fighter, this is one ship if you don't have one, get it.  It's still pretty cool.  My gripe is that Disney was lazy in not designing something completely new here.  The troop transporter was at least a new design.

First thing to note is: I don't have any equivalent OT set, so my look at the TFA sets is purely at how these sets are now and how I like them. :) 

And this is my Top 5 of Lego TFA sets:

#1 is the 75105 MF. One of the stars of the movie, and for any Lego Star Wars fan who doesn't already have the OT MF it's a must have!

#2 is the 75101 FO TIE Fighter. A great build and improved from the OT version both in looks and in technical design. RRP is on the high side, but if you can get it with a good discount it's also a must have when you don't have any TIE Fighter yet.

#3 is the 75102 Poe's X-Wing. Because of the unique colour scheme that sets it apart from regular X-Wings it's a stand-out set. Still looking for a nice discount on this set.

#4 is the 75140 Resistance Troop Transporter. I put this as my #4 because of good reviews I've read of this set, but I have yet to buy it with a good discount.

#5 is the 75099 Rey's Speeder. Like others have said: it's a smaller yet pretty set that will not likely be remade once it retires.

I have to admit that as of yet I only have #1 and #2 built and on display in my 'office' room at home. 

47 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I'm not sure what you mean by the wings not expanding.  The wings when they are expanded from "storage mode" very much resemble the ship in the movie.  So, the wings look just like they do in the movie.  They also use a dark grey for most of the ship, and that's close to what it looks like in the movie.  I guess, in the movie the ship is more of a charcoal grey.

I see a lot of people complain about Kylo's ship, and the main gripe is that the "wings don't fold down in the movie".  But, it's evident to me they did this not for "authenticity" but to make it easier to store on shelves.  When the wings are expanded, this thing is a little taller than an at-at by a few inches.  It's evident they made the wings foldable, so that you could stick it on a common shelf that is around 12 inches tall.  

As for the tie-fighter, this is one ship if you don't have one, get it.  It's still pretty cool.  My gripe is that Disney was lazy in not designing something completely new here.  The troop transporter was at least a new design.

The wings expand but they don't move "out" while in flight mode.  In the movie the wings move out while flying and go to the 90 degree angle shown in the lego set while landing.  Some really cool builds show it in black with the wings having movement.  Here is a example:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rodeogeorge said:

I have no interest in any of them. I have not purchased any of them nor do I plan on purchasing any of them. Insert Debbie downer emoticon here.

I'm looking for an "adds no value" emoticon. Sorry, can't find one. Look, if you just wanted to be a hater, you could have gone through each ship and knock them down individually to fit with the theme of the thread, and perhaps added some insight. This post is just "Look at me, I have nothing to say."

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, CoastaLego said:

The wings expand but they don't move "out" while in flight mode.  In the movie the wings move out while flying and go to the 90 degree angle shown in the lego set while landing.  Some really cool builds show it in black with the wings having movement.  Here is a example:

Ok, so you mean they should tilt?  I could see that as a new design element in an update.  But, the ship was not black in the movie, so other than tilting at an angle, the rest of the ship is fairly accurate.  I'd also say the ship is very sturdy, which for a ship of this size is rare. 

12 hours ago, CoastaLego said:

I agree this set was a huge miss. I am in the process currently of modifying it (like in Jang's video linked above). However i think the Kylo Ren helmet is quite comedic because of how large it is in LEGO form. I think putting the hood on him with the mask printed on the minifig head looks 10x better. I still also want the mask-less one, but i think the printed mask head was a good choice.

2 hours ago, fossilrock said:

Ha. Disney not designing something new...rings true to how some feel about the movie!

I think the fact that Poe's XWing is the ONLY ONE of its color scheme makes this the unique standout of the bunch. As soon as I saw the movie,the character swagger and his scene where he absolutely wrecks every time fighter in sight, I knew this one would be popular.

Nice post, I have been asking myself this same question all week, I think I would put the top 3 as:

1. Poe's X-wing

2. Millennium Falcon

3. Rey's speeder

X-wing & Falcon are pretty much a tie in my interest. I think the x-wing wins due to 1/2 price of the MF, it always seems to be on backorder at lego.com so seems to be very popular. The MF is still the good 'ol MF the only edge is has is aged Han which makes it appealing, either or BB8 is the new droid that makes either set a winner. Rey's speeder is at the top of my list so she can be in the top 3 easily with the price, new vehicle, and great mini figure. So if they were retiring tomorrow those are the 3 I would want to grab.

honorable mention goes to: Battle on Takodana, this is a new movie, so you have to get the new mini figures; Kylo, Finn, Maz +2 troopers. Price is high for imo a bland play set but, I guess if you break down a price for each mini figure the price will level out in the end.

Edited by Deanfjr

Guest TabbyBoy

I bow my head in utter shame as I've not yet seen EP7 but, I've probably seens all scenes with all the trailer and spoiuler floating about. My "uneducated" guess if that Poe's X-Wing will the the most sought after if the original is anything to go by.  Anything based on a classig original can only do well IMHO.  I've not bought any yet but, the trigger is primed for when the price is right.

I have a few TFA sets but have only built Kylo Ren's shuttle. The rest are in my backlog. Here are my thoughts on it:

• I know a lot of people hate it because the wings don't fold down, but I love it.
  • I'm not sure why Lego didn't make the wings foldable for flight mode but there are videos and sites for (what seems to be) an easy mod. I'll be modding mine soon.
  • I believe Lego made it grey instead of black because I think the initial pictures and even the model were grey. Attached is a picture that someone from another forum took of the model on display at Disneyland. I initially hated that Lego made it in grey but now I don't blame them so much since it looks like this is what they had to work with long before the movie was released. 
  • I like the printed masked head piece. Lego did that because they included a hood. I prefer the hooded masked head look over the silly-looking oversized helmet, although my wife prefers the helmet.
  • The built ship is big with the wings extended up and I love the way it looks. Maybe it's because the shuttle tydirium is one of my favorite OT ships.

On a side note, I did buy a loose Rey Speeder and I think it looks great too for a little $20 set. I agree that this will probably never be remade and this version of Rey either.

Kylo Ren Shuttle.jpg

4 hours ago, Deanfjr said:

Nice post, I have been asking myself this same question all week, I think I would put the top 3 as:

1. Poe's X-wing

2. Millennium Falcon

3. Rey's speeder

X-wing & Falcon are pretty much a tie in my interest. I think the x-wing wins due to 1/2 price of the MF, it always seems to be on backorder at lego.com so seems to be very popular. The MF is still the good 'ol MF the only edge is has is aged Han which makes it appealing, either or BB8 is the new droid that makes either set a winner. Rey's speeder is at the top of my list so she can be in the top 3 easily with the price, new vehicle, and great mini figure. So if they were retiring tomorrow those are the 3 I would want to grab.

honorable mention goes to: Battle on Takodana, this is a new movie, so you have to get the new mini figures; Kylo, Finn, Maz +2 troopers. Price is high for imo a bland play set but, I guess if you break down a price for each mini figure the price will level out in the end.

Rey's speeder does look cool. You didn't mention any first order stuff, is it unappealing to you or is there one in particular that you like?

3 hours ago, oneknightr said:

I have a few TFA sets but have only built Kylo Ren's shuttle. The rest are in my backlog. Here are my thoughts on it:

• I know a lot of people hate it because the wings don't fold down, but I love it.
  • I'm not sure why Lego didn't make the wings foldable for flight mode but there are videos and sites for (what seems to be) an easy mod. I'll be modding mine soon.
  • I believe Lego made it grey instead of black because I think the initial pictures and even the model were grey. Attached is a picture that someone from another forum took of the model on display at Disneyland. I initially hated that Lego made it in grey but now I don't blame them so much since it looks like this is what they had to work with long before the movie was released. 
  • I like the printed masked head piece. Lego did that because they included a hood. I prefer the hooded masked head look over the silly-looking oversized helmet, although my wife prefers the helmet.
  • The built ship is big with the wings extended up and I love the way it looks. Maybe it's because the shuttle tydirium is one of my favorite OT ships.

On a side note, I did buy a loose Rey Speeder and I think it looks great too for a little $20 set. I agree that this will probably never be remade and this version of Rey either.

Kylo Ren Shuttle.jpg

Even though Lego may not have had the most accurate details on the Rens shuttle, now that they do, they will likely release a newer version with ep 8 or 9 which will be superior in accuracy to this one. That's why I'm thinking of skipping this one.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jaykay21 said:

Even though Lego may not have had the most accurate details on the Rens shuttle, now that they do, they will likely release a newer version with ep 8 or 9 which will be superior in accuracy to this one. That's why I'm thinking of skipping this one.

I figure Episode VIII will see an updated, more accurate shuttle.