76052 - Batman Classic TV Series - Batcave

CoastaLego

The AFOL in me loves this set. 

The investor in me knows the chance of a batcave appreciating nicely  is small since one is released every 2-3 years with very little duration in- between the old being totally sold-out at retail and the new one arriving  

If any batcave should appreciate, it's this one.  However, I view buying this for investing as high risk / low reward.  I'm forcing myself to pass even at $200 each.   The buy-in would need to be $125-$150 for me to buy 2+.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jaisonline said:

The AFOL in me loves this set. 

The investor in me knows the chance of a batcave appreciating nicely  is small since one is released every 2-3 years with very little duration in- between the old being totally sold-out at retail and the new one arriving  

If any batcave should appreciate, it's this one.  However, I view buying this for investing as high risk / low reward.  I'm forcing myself to pass even at $200 each.   The buy-in would need to be $125-$150 for me to buy 2+.

No new classic Batman sets for 2018, just movie ones. That should give this set time to stretch its legs.

Guest TabbyBoy

£239.99 is extortionate for a Batmobile as that's the only part of this vastly over-priced set that I find remotely appealing. I may bite at £99.99, not a penny more ;-)

As with the Tumbler, high returns are not to be expected.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18.7.2017 at 6:23 AM, Padolski said:

I'm not gonna lie, picked up this set dirt cheap. The box looks so good that I have become emotionally tied to it, heard its a great build too. Hmmm what to do. Hang onto it for another 6 months and sell once retired or flick off now for a $60 profit after fees?

I love the box, too!

It's displayed on top of a shelf now after having built parts of it. Parted out all the vehicles and minifigs except civilians (Bruce, **** and Alfred).

I was moving around some sets today, and I noticed a distinct lack of LEGO clatter when moving a Batcave that I had gotten during the Amazon sale in July.

Sure enough, I saw double tape - And opened it up to find a bottle of water and some other assorted filler garbage.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Battling with Amazon now. Technically past the return date.

• Sad 2

I was moving around some sets today, and I noticed a distinct lack of LEGO clatter when moving a Batcave that I had gotten during the Amazon sale in July.
Sure enough, I saw double tape - And opened it up to find a bottle of water and some other assorted filler garbage.

That sucks!

34 minutes ago, Achilles said:

they were concerned you were dehydrated??

just kidding, does suck and has happened to a few others I know as well.  I see it a lot in the returns loads.  Got a nice heady duty bolt one time though.  A box cutter and some other useful things over time.  It's not just LEGO though, they do it to everything on Amazon.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy

When I used to work at Heathrow for a major airline, I'd take my biggest sets from Amazon (eg. 10221 SSD) along and run them through the X-Ray machine at their cargo facilty. Luckily, I've never been affected and I've bought many hundreds of sets from Amazon over the years. However, I always only buy from Amazon direct if I can and avoid resellers. I can understand why crooks would like to take the minifigs and Batmobile out of this set. Why do they bother as it's much easier to make even money honestly if you work at it?

TRU have NO EXCUSE to pass these back on to an unsuspecting customer, they should be returned to LEGO or opened/checked and sold as "seconds". They'll go out of business very soon in the UK if it happened here.

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

When I used to work at Heathrow for a major airline, I'd take my biggest sets from Amazon (eg. 10221 SSD) along and run them through the X-Ray machine at their cargo facilty. Luckily, I've never been affected and I've bought many hundreds of sets from Amazon over the years. However, I always only buy from Amazon direct if I can and avoid resellers. I can understand why crooks would like to take the minifigs and Batmobile out of this set. Why do they bother as it's much easier to make even money honestly if you work at it?

TRU have NO EXCUSE to pass these back on to an unsuspecting customer, they should be returned to LEGO or opened/checked and sold as "seconds". They'll go out of business very soon in the UK if it happened here.

You must surely be in a position to make them a fair offer and buy them out.

Think about it, you could call it Tabbies R Us and not need to change the corporate identity.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Val-E said:

You must surely be in a position to make them a fair offer and buy them out.

Think about it, you could call it Tabbies R Us and not need to change the corporate identity.

I can do better than that:

18036CB0-D5A9-4623-8596-BE7CABF6C699.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So it seems like everyone has mixed feelings on this set. I was thinking of picking one up to store for a few years but does everyone think it will drop lower then the current $188.99 it is on SAH? Also being that it is the "Classic" set not the TLBM what does everyone think on the possibility of it appreciating? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were and wondering if I should invest in other sets at the price point. Thanks again for all the feedback as it is much appreciated.

As a fan I love this set.  The vehicles, minifigures, and Batcave section are the highlights for sure.  Wayne Manor leaves something to be desired, but the study with the secret entrance was such a focal point of the show so I'm glad it's in here and with great detail.  The build comes off a bit disjointed, but that's due to them trying to accomplish both the mansion and Batcave in one set at this price point.  I did buy a set early on and sold off the minifigures and vehicles in hopes that one day I'll MOC something more complete with two sets.

To answer your question though, I wouldn't invest much in this.  It's been discounted for a while and still can't sell out if that tells you anything.  There are better places to put your money, but it's absolutely worth it for your collection.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, RKI_Fismo said:

My local Smyths had six over Christmas. I've just checked now & that number is up to seven. Surely

that's not the same six plus a return or something?

Sounds like they have been breeding.

Maybe that´s why Lego´s own warehouse took so long to sell out.

• Like 2