76041 - The Hydra Fortress Smash

Achilles

I understand the superhero theme in general has been... Underwhelming of late, but I have to admit I am a bit surprised that these are on clearance at $35 (33% off) - for a TRU exclusive, and no one seems remotely excited by this set, and it's last online for a few days now.

I am curious by those who know more than I, is everyone just afraid this will be Barrel Escape 2.0? Everyone feeling "Meh" on the Super Hero stuff in general? This set underwhelming?

Gimmie your thoughts!

Pros: Short life, Hulk fig, a couple of exclusive figs (Quicksilver, Baron dude)

Cons: Incomplete looking build, easy availability of Hulk, figs not that compelling.

I have been wrestling with the same Q. But I don't think long term people are going to seek out that Quicksilver (I at least hated that look for the movie), and the building is so meh. I wish it had been $10 more so they could have had matching towers, so at least it would look like a mini castle.

Of course if it lasts in store long enough to hit a clearance coupon I have some TRU gift cards ready for a few....

Apart from the TRU exclusive argument the main problem I see with the set is Quicksilver is the only valuable part of the set. Hulk, Cap and the Hydra guy are in other sets and Von Strucker was limited and forgettable in the movie. The vehicle and gate are nice but hardly enough to drive up the value of the set in the future.

To echo what others are saying and to perhaps add a bit.  The cons I see are:

the hulk is identical to the one in the hulk buster set (msrp of $29.99).  So there is no appeal even at its discounted price of $35 for the hulk.

captain America is the same as a more expensive set (quinjet city chase), but the bigger issue here is all the captain Americas that will be released with the civil war sets.

so now you are left with a henchman who was identical to the one in a $19.99 set (hydra showdown); baron Von strucker who was completely forgettable in the movie; and a quicksilver figure who looks more like Brody from the original point break than a superhero.

add to that a boring car and part of a gate/tower, it's just an awful lot of meh here.  And ask yourself why the retailer best known for ignoring msrp in a bad way (tru, the markup King) would so easily discount their exclusive 30%.  Tells me it's moving like sludge.

Lastly, and putting aside the potential hoarding of a set like the hulk buster, how do you not spend $5 less at msrp ($29.99) get the same hulk big-fig, an exclusive ultron and scarlet witch and the hulk buster.  Essentially the sets in the same theme at lower price points are just better, and that's what makes this such a stinker.

but who knows, maybe i am wrong and in two years everyone will wish they stockpiled Brody and mr. Peanut (strucker)...

Edited by Lawpepperdine
  • Like 3

Correct $30, although I think it was their after Christmas sale (so possibly no gingerbread).  Either way they sold out within like a day, so you are also competing with all those buy-ins.  

I don't think it necessarily a money loser, as if you sell for msrp down the road $50 you at least should be able to break even (my flow through after shipping and fees is consistently at about 73%) I just don't see much more than breaking even, unless you are able to go cl route and avoid shipping and fees, then you could make $10 a pop.

6 minutes ago, Lawpepperdine said:

Correct $30, although I think it was their after Christmas sale (so possibly no gingerbread).  Either way they sold out within like a day, so you are also competing with all those buy-ins.  

I don't think it necessarily a money loser, as if you sell for msrp down the road $50 you at least should be able to break even (my flow through after shipping and fees is consistently at about 73%) I just don't see much more than breaking even, unless you are able to go cl route and avoid shipping and fees, then you could make $10 a pop.

Wrong or not ;) I wanna get rid of them as this just isn't me, there are better Lego sets to spend money on with my budget. I like to make more than $10 even if it means holding on to Lego for few years, that's just me though.

Maybe the Dynamic Duo Funhouse scared everyone off, which was a better set but did have a longer retail life.

This set does seem to suffer from the same problem that lost of super heroes sets suffer from and that is that they're minifig driven and not necessarily great models.  The two unique figs in this set just aren't that desireable IMO.

1 hour ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Maybe the Dynamic Duo Funhouse scared everyone off, which was a better set but did have a longer retail life.

This set does seem to suffer from the same problem that lost of super heroes sets suffer from and that is that they're minifig driven and not necessarily great models.  The two unique figs in this set just aren't that desireable IMO.

Dynamic Duo Funhouse is almost 2x RRP on Amazon. I'd be ecstatic if Hydra Smash did the same thing. At 90 bucks a pop, I'd more than double my investment. Does the set suck? Absolutely. The Hulk bigfig that nobody likes, Baron von whatshisname, and dead version of Quicksilver can't carry this horrid set that was presumably thought up during one of the designer's potty breaks.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, jeff_14 said:

Bought 12 of these on clearance from TRU last spring and they sat on my shelf quiet and unloved, and then I sold 2 in a few days last week. Every dog does have its day it seems. May not have to deck my city MOC out in excessive ruined castle checkpoints after all. 

I sold mine not to long ago as well. $39.98 on BL + shipping. Buy in was $24 so I'm happy with my return on this set. I was getting tired of seeing them on my shelf.

• Like 1

I have like 12 as well. All bought online from TRU for 24 dollars. Not worried at all. Only set with quicksilver and don't see him magically coming back to life. Lately I have more faith in SH sets over SW sets (crazy I know) but I don't see remakes for a lot of marvel sets (mini figs to an extent) it's also a lot cheaper to be a "completist" with SH sets over the 600 SW sets. I found myself buying every marvel set but don't feel the urge to buy ALL the SW sets or other themes for that matter.

Worse case part this out. I'm sure individually the minifigs are worth 30 dollars minimum.

• Like 2