9466 - The Crazy Scientist & His Monster

tubs89

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AnnexBrett

I recently got a few of 9466 The Crazy Scientist & His Monster sets. Two different sources - different seals. I have two with thumb tab seal ( these ones have no piece count on the front or additional info), two other are tape selad (lots of info on the front). Is that normal that the same set has different packaging? Boxes are the same size and weight though. THX

I recently got a few of 9466 The Crazy Scientist & His Monster sets. Two different sources - different seals. I have two with thumb tab seal ( these ones have no piece count on the front or additional info), two other are tape selad (lots of info on the front). Is that normal that the same set has different packaging? Boxes are the same size and weight though. THX

Sounds like one is American (tape seal with info), the other is European (no piece count). I honestly have no idea why the boxes are done differently, but that's how LEGO rolls. There is no difference for the inner contents whatsoever, so nothing to worry about there. This has no effect on their investment potential.

Sounds like one is American (tape seal with info), the other is European (no piece count). I honestly have no idea why the boxes are done differently, but that's how LEGO rolls. There is no difference for the inner contents whatsoever, so nothing to worry about there. This has no effect on their investment potential.

Yeah OrcKing is correct, the no piece count are European. Honestly I like the thumb punch out boxes better. I feel this reduces the chances of fraud (people undoing seals, swapping pieces, and resealing). This is something Lego should be doing on the bigger sets to prevent fraud. The tape seals should just be used on cheaper smaller sets in my opinion.

Honestly I like the thumb punch out boxes better. I feel this reduces the chances of fraud (people undoing seals, swapping pieces, and resealing). This is something Lego should be doing on the bigger sets to prevent fraud.

I completely concur. The thumb-punch boxes were WAY better. I mean, you had to actually trash the box to even open it. With the tape seals, you can just take a cutter, slice a box open in store and stuff the contents into your pocket. I caught a little bastard doing exactly that once and on a few other occasions I've seen some boxes that were cut open with a bag or two missing sometimes with the bags opened themselves. That kind of thing pisses me off to no end.

• 1 month later...

Of all the Monster Fighters sets, this one is around the middle closer to the bottom. The vehicle is okay, and the scenery is pretty barebones. The highlights are the Crazy Scientist and Monster minifigures. I guess the red light brick is a bit of an added bonus. Haven't seen this one on sale really. At best, $5 off maybe like once. Actually, Amazon has the set listed for $44.15 which is $5.84 off. Not that big of a whoop but there it is.

I think this will be a sleeper. Lots of crossover potential with fans of Frankenstein. I just wish that it came with one more monster fig or a monster fig in place of one of the yellow faced figs. The light brick kind of makes up for that though. I have just convinced myself - time to check Amazon.

Plus - everyone is stocking up on Haunted House and Vampyre Castle. As well as the people that bought the Hearse and Werewolf sets on clearance. Set yourself apart and buy this set.

My favorite MF Set is 40076. Promotional freebie from Lego Shops - selling for $30 now. I have 8. Waiting until later in the year to sell those. Zombies FTW, of course.

This was actually the last Monster Fighter set I invested in. It's not because I don't like the set, but I do admit it is probably my least favorite of the Monster Fighter sets. The biggest issue is that I never saw the set dip below 40-45 dollars. All of the other sets were discounted pretty substantially at one time or another, but the best deal I found on these was a buy 1 get 1 50% off at genuine retail, so each set ended up being just under $40 with tax. Who knows, that may or may not help this set in the end. If I see some come up on clearance, I will be snatching them up either way. I just think this series is going to be a winner .... a seasonal winner... but a winner none the less.

• 1 month later...

It's not 50% off, Amazon UK listed the set for 60 GBP or almost $100 then immediately "reduced" the price by 50% to take the set down to MSRP. Shady tactics. Also highlights why it's crucial to know how much these sets are supposed to cost so you can evaluate every sale to determine if you should bite or not. TRU does this all the time so most of their "deals" aren't worthy of the name.

• 7 months later...

I threw a couple of these up on ebay back around halloween for I think msrp (i got them real cheap). I was shocked how fast they went! Faster than any of my other monster fighter sets. Could have just been an anomoly, but I definitely felt alot more comfortable with the set after that experience.

The entire MF lime will do just fine :) They are unique and everyone loves classic movie monsters like these are based on. It would be cool of they released the invisible man (completely transparent minifig with a cape, frank's bride, and the phantom of the opera).

I wonder if Lego will refresh these sets every 3-5 years.

• 1 month later...