10254 - Winter Holiday Train

DadsAFOL

A seemingly credible source on EB says that the 2016 Winter Village Seasonal set will be a new Christmas Train.  We haven't had a decent real train in a while, and with last year's rehash set there are Winter Village collectors eager for something new.  If they do this set well, it will be an investment winner due to the double category demand.  If you are still hanging onto 10173's you may want to sell off any stock before the official announcement and pictures. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

A seemingly credible source on EB says that the 2016 Winter Village Seasonal set will be a new Christmas Train.  We haven't had a decent real train in a while, and with last year's rehash set there are Winter Village collectors eager for something new.  If they do this set well, it will be an investment winner due to the double category demand.  If you are still hanging onto 10173's you may want to sell off any stock before the official announcement and pictures. 

I'm all for another Christmas train, but I wouldn't consider it something new exactly.   Hopefully it will at least be different looking, more than just having the train coming in from the other side of the box. 

• Like 4

Just now, Mos_Eisley said:

I'm all for another Christmas train, but I wouldn't consider it something new exactly.   Hopefully it will at least be different looking, more than just having the train coming in from the other side of the box. 

Agreed, but this didn't occur to me until I read your comment...  I was anti-2015 toy shop because I had the original.  I'm pro-2016 Xmas Train because I never got the original.  So now in hindsight i see why some people were excited by the toy shop rehash last year.  Design creativity standards go up every year, so unless they go cheap and try to stick to an $80 price point, I can't imagine that the new one resembles the old one much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

Agreed, but this didn't occur to me until I read your comment...  I was anti-2015 toy shop because I had the original.  I'm pro-2016 Xmas Train because I never got the original.  So now in hindsight i see why some people were excited by the toy shop rehash last year.  Design creativity standards go up every year, so unless they go cheap and try to stick to an $80 price point, I can't imagine that the new one resembles the old one much.

Since the winter sets are part of the exclusive / creator line, it's hard to imagine a train under $80.  If it's around $100, i would think something the Lone Ranger set with track in terms of size. However, including track is a costly expense and the opportunity cost would be less "substance" to the train so maybe track will be excluded.

6 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

I really hope for a better looking train this time around.  Something like a cross between the Holiday Train and the Emerald Night. But based on what they did last year, I'm not sure how we can expect it to be significantly different. 

7 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

I really hope for a better looking train this time around.  Something like a cross between the Holiday Train and the Emerald Night. But based on what they did last year, I'm not sure how we can expect it to be significantly different. 

maybe more like this...

7597-1.jpg

than

10194-1.jpg

??

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Phil B said:

This is NOT good news ... just Bricklinked my 10173 at considerable expense, and now they're coming with a new one? Guess that was money (partly) wasted.

i partially bricklinked one after buying 75% of the set used.   yeah, we are prob doomed unless the new set is considerably smaller (which isn't hard since 10173 is "Subway" long) or not a direct refresh.

Just now, jaisonline said:

i partially bricklinked one after buying 75% of the set used.   yeah, we are prob doomed unless the new set is considerably smaller (which isn't hard since 10173 is "Subway" long or not a direct refresh.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Friends Christmas Train (see the Rollercoaster) :)

7 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

maybe more like this...

7597-1.jpg

than

10194-1.jpg

??

Emerald Night is my favorite train and I think it has more of a Polar Express feel to it.  The Holiday Train has more of a mildly whimsical feel to it but I don't think that goes along with any other part of the Winter Village. 

• Like 1

Anyways, for it to be a good holiday train it would need to be a steam engine, with decent detail, several carriages (at least 3) otherwise it would just look awkward... I think it would be a $150 set at least. Unless they try to hit the $90 mark set by 10173 and then we get a toy train that nobody wants. Anyways, just speculation on top of a rumor.

11 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

Emerald Night is my favorite train and I think it has more of a Polar Express feel to it.  The Holiday Train has more of a mildly whimsical feel to it but I don't think that goes along with any other part of the Winter Village. 

totally agree.  i'm lucky to own both trains.  The Holiday Train is def for more geared toward kids with its build design and elements used.  i also don't think 10173 "as is" integrates into the existing Winter Theme sets.  it's a kids train while the winter sets are for both kids and AFOLs.

If this comes to fruition, I'm also in the camp of wanting more Polar Express and less 10173 Holiday Train.  I wanted 10173 so bad and then when I got it in a lot I was underwhelmed, so it went to ebay.  If I were to guess, though, I would say this will be a bigger version of 40138 like Darth Raichu posted.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

Early box art and product description has bean leaked for the new and improved 2016 Holiday Train:

Rescue the holiday train from certain doom!

Like the rest of the city, the holiday train is on fire!  Fly in for the rescue with the fire helicopter!  Help the brave firefighters rescue the passengers, pets and all the holiday gifts!  Put out the flames with the special water stud shooter!  Be a hero and save the holiday train before it crashes into the Winter Village!

• Includes 3 brave firefighters.
  • 1 terrified engineer, 2 frightened conductors, and 3 scared passengers.
  • Also includes a cat.
  • And a rat.
  • Position the helicopter to make daring passenger rescues.
  • Save the tricycle, skateboard, books and other presents from the inferno.
  • Accessory elements include 24 flame pieces (we've produced a lot of these), fire extinguishers and water studs.
  • Complete train measures over 45" (115cm) long and includes a holiday-themed locomotive, tender, and passenger car with removable roof - all of which can easily appear to be ablaze.
  • Train can be motorized with a #10153 9v Train Motor and #4548 Speed Regulator.
  • 9v motor, speed regulator and track are not included and are no longer produced but can be found on ebay or BrickLink.

37101.jpg

Release date 4/1, apparently

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

Early box art and product description has bean leaked for the new and improved 2016 Holiday Train:

Rescue the holiday train from certain doom!

Like the rest of the city, the holiday train is on fire!  Fly in for the rescue with the fire helicopter!  Help the brave firefighters rescue the passengers, pets and all the holiday gifts!  Put out the flames with the special water stud shooter!  Be a hero and save the holiday train before it crashes into the Winter Village!

• Includes 3 brave firefighters.
  • 1 terrified engineer, 2 frightened conductors, and 3 scared passengers.
  • Also includes a cat.
  • And a rat.
  • Position the helicopter to make daring passenger rescues.
  • Save the tricycle, skateboard, books and other presents from the inferno.
  • Accessory elements include 24 flame pieces (we've produced a lot of these), fire extinguishers and water studs.
  • Complete train measures over 45" (115cm) long and includes a holiday-themed locomotive, tender, and passenger car with removable roof - all of which can easily appear to be ablaze.
  • Train can be motorized with a #10153 9v Train Motor and #4548 Speed Regulator.
  • 9v motor, speed regulator and track are not included and are no longer produced but can be found on ebay or BrickLink.

37101.jpg

Is this based on the "Snowpiercer vs. Mad Max" license agreement?

• Like 2