75146 - Star Wars Advent Calendar 2016

exciter1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am giving this a run in 2016 (as I have the past couple of years). Not sure how to gauge the increase in volume of Amazon sellers yet (99 as of this morning but increasing daily). It is bestseller #21 (in September) for Toys & Games. I did notice Target is at least temporarily sold out online. This thread sure is quiet. :)

Edited by speedpro50

This thread sure is quiet.

I don't know what happened last year, but over the last 6 months I've heard mixed things about these calendars.
I imagine it's quite because last year's newbs learned a lesson. This year's newbs are still waiting to devour every hint of an opportunity. And the veterans are staying quiet, because that's what a good business man does.

But us newbs will take over soon. Don't worry =)

3 minutes ago, donbee said:

I don't know what happened last year, but over the last 6 months I've heard mixed things about these calendars.
I imagine it's quite because last year's newbs learned a lesson. This year's newbs are still waiting to devour every hint of an opportunity. And the veterans are staying quiet, because that's what a good business man does.

At half-off, there's a little meat left on this bone.

5 minutes ago, donbee said:

The SW Advent Calendars are the easiest to predict and anticipate. :P  

DISCLAIMER: As with any other set, do your own research and decide what is best for your situation.

Last year on eBay there was a seller who had something like 350 (1 listing of 200; followed by another of 150) of these and at a price that wasn't too much above MSRP.  When they sold out at retail, the velocity of his sales was amazing, but I wondered if there would be any buyers left.  Sales slowed with each batch that was $5 higher.  On top of that, eBay was doing a promotion on hot selling items that you could get the sales fees up to $500 reimbursed in the form of an eBay gift card.  Whereas I had listed for $70 the year before, I listed at $65 last year (or something like that), knowing that my "profit" was going to be used for a future eBay purchase or had come in the form of double VIP points and Bricktober freebies.  Oh, yeah, and there was also something last year on eBay where people thought that to qualify for some promotion, they had to list each item individually, so you'd have a seller listing calendars for $64.90, $64.91, $64.92, etc.

1 minute ago, hockeyweasel said:

Last year on eBay there was a seller who had something like 350 (1 listing of 200; followed by another of 150) of these and at a price that wasn't too much above MSRP.  When they sold out at retail, the velocity of his sales was amazing, but I wondered if there would be any buyers left.  Sales slowed with each batch that was $5 higher.  On top of that, eBay was doing a promotion on hot selling items that you could get the sales fees up to $500 reimbursed in the form of an eBay gift card.  Whereas I had listed for $70 the year before, I listed at $65 last year (or something like that), knowing that my "profit" was going to be used for a future eBay purchase or had come in the form of double VIP points and Bricktober freebies.  Oh, yeah, and there was also something last year on eBay  where people thought that to qualify for some promotion, they had to list each item individually, so you'd have a seller listing calendars for $64.90, $64.91, $64.92, etc.

...and most of us received zero promotions or incentives.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, donbee said:

If you aren't savvy and quick, I wouldn't bother.  While there is QF money to be made, vets will be better.  Maybe grab a couple and try for some low-risk practice.  Just to note:  The 2015 SW Advent was around RRP on Amazon until the last week or two, so if you miss the QF window (or it doesn't manifest itself) and purchased at only 20% off, you will be stuck with this for 10 months.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sfcommando14 said:

If you aren't savvy and quick, I wouldn't bother.  While there is QF money to be made, vets will be better.  Maybe grab a couple and try for some low-risk practice.  Just to note:  The 2015 SW Advent was around RRP on Amazon until the last week or two, so if you miss the QF window (or it doesn't manifest itself) and purchased at only 20% off, you will be stuck with this for 10 months.

I think this one is okay if you are able to buy them at something like 30% off and put your price slightly above RRP.

For long term, the value is generally not much higher than RRP except for 2014 which had the Santa Vader (around 20€ separately).

This year has snow chewbacca and the protocol droid, but I don't think they will do as well as vader.

This is a set I'm definitely not investing in, you know something is wrong when you go to your local b&m lego shop and they openly state in their Facebook posts "buy now, this set will be worth 2xRRP in December". Dozens of "normal" people said yes let's buy for investment.

That plus this can easily be found for 33% at various shops for 3 for 2 in UK. I feel that if you are not a high volume mover, there is no point in buying advent calendars as the average seller cannot compete with the big fish. 

Plenty of other fish to fry, I also thought this year's star wars set is terrible compared to the city version, they at least get a santa and a sleigh!

Edited by Mhd747
  • Like 2