41179 - Queen Dragon's Rescue

TheOrcKing

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Totally new to lego investing here so I'm sorry for the monotonous question I'm sure. I just snagged 41179 for $39.98 clearance and I noticed the dragon alone on ebay has recently sold for as well as some of the book pieces and minifig for ~$5-8. It seems I could make more by parting it out, but I have never tried that before so I'm a little intimidated breaking the deal on the set to try.

Any thoughts on whether to sell the set or part out? If part out, is there a guide to get started? Thanks.

12 minutes ago, BaltimoreBrick said:

Totally new to lego investing here so I'm sorry for the monotonous question I'm sure. I just snagged 41179 for $39.98 clearance and I noticed the dragon alone on ebay has recently sold for as well as some of the book pieces and minifig for ~$5-8. It seems I could make more by parting it out, but I have never tried that before so I'm a little intimidated breaking the deal on the set to try.

Any thoughts on whether to sell the set or part out? If part out, is there a guide to get started? Thanks.

Hi,  we really need more information about YOU and your goals before we can adequately assist you.

Do you plan to keep for a long term hold or a quick flip. 

Long term hold means no parting out (in general)
Quick flip - do whatever sells for the most profit in the fastest turnaround, either as a set or parting out.

Do you plan to part out lots of sets or high volume of a few sets? 

Parting out is a lot work if you aren't prepared for it and many pieces, modules, or minifigs are a tough sell.

Do you create your own designs when building?

If so, you may want to part out the pieces you don't need, including the dragon.

In summary: The dragon might be an easy sell but I don't know how many sets are sold without the dragon (check sold listings and frequency) and while you may make more money over the long run, you may also end up stuck with something that you can't sell right away.  I don't know if your goal is to sell this set to buy other sets or something else, but that also impacts your decision making.

Hope that helps a little.

• Like 1

• BaltimoreBrick changed the title to 41179 Queen Dragon's Rescue. Sell or part out.
8 minutes ago, redghostx said:

Hi,  we really need more information about YOU and your goals before we can adequately assist you.

Do you plan to keep for a long term hold or a quick flip. 

I understand that although the dragon may sell for a lot, that leaves me with a lot of spare pieces that may be hard to sell. That coupled with the foot work of selling hundreds of small parts probably rules out my interest in that option. That leaves me with hold or flip. I can't imagine holding a small Elves set like this would blow up in value - would it?

6 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

We also need set name please.

Fixed. Sorry.

1 minute ago, Lordoflego said:

Check Elves dragon sanctuary (sorry, can't remember set number) selling for $120 easy now.

I actually just picked up 3 of queen's dragon rescue for $28 ea so you have folks like me to compete with.

Hmm, well in that case I guess I will hang onto it. Like I said, still new so stuff I wouldn't imagine to be worth much is always the stuff that is. I appreciate the help.

17 minutes ago, BaltimoreBrick said:

Hmm, well in that case I guess I will hang onto it. Like I said, still new so stuff I wouldn't imagine to be worth much is always the stuff that is. I appreciate the help.

This set will NEVER catch up to Dragon Sanctuary (or Secret Marketplace) in price.  Those sets had unexpected short runs.  This 41179 has been well below retail for a very long time everywhere.  That doesn't mean it won't gain value and make you money in the long run, but don't expect it before Christmas 2018 or 2019 if it retires in 2017.  I am actually quite bullish on the Elves sets, so don't despair, just be prepared to wait.  I have quite a few generation 1 sets and they are finally doing well after giving me some worry.  Who knows for sure about generation 2.

For parting out on eBay you would sell the dragon, the figures individually or as a group, and then the entire set as the last piece.  To see if it is worth it, plan on the dragon and figures recouping your cost or making a little after shipping and fees.  Then you have to see if the set without those parts actually sells or not.  It is really hard to make money if you can't sell the set minus the figures.

I haven't researched this set, but that is my experience in parting out as a general guideline.  My ulterior motive was to get to 100 sales to become a super seller, though that is less valuable lately.  That was the only reason I took the time to part out sets, and then I stopped after 100 sales.  It doesn't sound like you are really prepared to part out sets.  It is a lot of work.  

It is not a bad thing to try just see how it works.  Selling is the hard part, so the sooner you try the better.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I was nearly tempted to buy up all the Secret Marketplaces when LEGO UK had them at 50% off not too long ago. Sold prices are now already RRP. Parting out sets is a HUGE amount of work and I just can't be bothered with it.

• 3 months later...
55 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

Not sure if its helpful, but Amazon in UK still has a few for superb price

£40.83excl. VAT
£49.00incl. VAT£64.99Prime
Exclusively for Prime Members
Only 3 left in stock - order soon.

Not long ago Amazon UK offered these for £35.91 incl. VAT and they were not Prime exclusive. Needless to say, I ordered 2 (max 2 per order, unfortunately). 

Edited by Haay

5 hours ago, OrangeChiliPeP said:

I bought a couple of these sets 3 weeks ago from 2 different retailers discounted 50% off + PB points.

All sets show the same seal code 41S7. Interesting that there isn´t old stock left and now it´s retired.

What are your codes?

The less people are able to give codes, the better an investment this set will appear.

I for one have avoided the Elves sets that has 2 year lives for fear of overhoarding based on 41178 success. Perhaps I was wrong.

• 1 month later...