10682 - Creative Suitcase

10682 Creative Suitcase - been retired a while now, I believe. But has been available at Toys R Us... until now. Just went on sale at TRU last week at $39.98 (that's $35.98 if you could find it in-store on a Thursday). I was a hater on this set then... but now... seems to have disappeared from TRU website... not available from TRU on eBay.  Totally gone now? Current prices about $69 on Amazon.  Maybe time to pick up any left found in stores at a discount?  Not as widely hoarded as 10664, or 10697... has plenty of competition from other classic brick boxes, but so do 6177 and 10662 , and just look at the prices on those (2.5 and 2.3 x MSRP). Could this go to double MSRP soon (2 x $59.99 US)?

9 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

10682 Creative Suitcase - been retired a while now, I believe. But has been available at Toys R Us... until now. Just went on sale at TRU last week at $39.98 (that's $35.98 if you could find it in-store on a Thursday). I was a hater on this set then... but now... seems to have disappeared from TRU website... not available from TRU on eBay.  Totally gone now? Current prices about $69 on Amazon.  Maybe time to pick up any left found in stores at a discount?  Not as widely hoarded as 10664, or 10697... has plenty of competition from other classic brick boxes, but so do 6177 and 10662 , and just look at the prices on those (2.5 and 2.3 x MSRP). Could this go to double MSRP soon (2 x $59.99 US)?

10682 was on sale at usa LEGO Shop at Home last year for like $45 and then $35 and had a few pages of discussion in the daily deals thread so i think it has been hoarded.  i have 10 of these and have sold exactly 1 on amazon for $70 right before Christmas and haven't sold one at $62 in the last 2 months.  I have doubts that this set will make 2x MSRP but it is helpful when looking for parts when building.  its expensive to ship.   for investing, imo, there are many better places to put your money.  apologies to those who were excited by a retirement announcement.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

I had eleven of the 10682 at one time, and sold them all... most for $79 (FBA) last August. Was not a big profit maker, but satisfactory. But I've also sold 6177 and 10662's in the last year for over $60.  I don't understand what makes some people buy (retired) basic bricks for $.11 or $.12 / each, when they are readily available in another box at $.06 / each... but they do. Of course, I'm comparing to smaller boxes... it's easier to sell a box of Lego for $60 than it is for > $100. And you're right... the 10682's have been stocked up by some people... and with all the 10664's and 10697's hanging around... there may be a lid on the appreciation of the 10682s for a while.

Still, I've been ignoring them there on the shelf at my local TRU all week... especially because it seemed like the supply would never end. But now they seem to be done... and if I see them there today at $40 ... with my rewards in pocket... it's going to be a little harder to just keep walking this time ;) 

• Like 1

With the brick boxes, there always seems to be a pretty hard ceiling on how far they will appreciate.  The key to those is buying them at the lowest possible price, but if you can swing at least a 20%-30% discount, you can generally make solid returns on them.  However, they are completely unpredictable in terms of how far they will appreciate.  It was easy to see that 10662 would appreciate, but I did not expect it to be selling for $120 within a year of retirement.  It made very little sense at that price given that 10664 could be had for around the same amount.