Rolling BB-8 LEGO!!

ISO8T0

6 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Not to sure about "ripped off" since it was submitted to LEGO Ideas, but yes it shouldn't be hard for TLG to produce this set. Only (3) printed parts. The rest are common parts.

It wouldn't be the first time a submitted set suddenly appeared as a Lego set not in the Ideas line.  Can't believe Lego hasn't done this yet, honestly.  Like you said, it's really a simple set.

This is an awesome idea for a Lego set.  Maybe a new UCS BB-8 in the mold of UCS R2-D2, but with more functionality.

But, I agree with Huskers in that, if it has any potential marketability, Lego might "use" the idea similar to what they did with the Ghostbusters HQ IDEAS set and helicarrier IDEAS set.  Lego has contended the concepts for these sets were already in the making before the actual IDEAS sets were submitted, but the timing of set release after ideas set submission sure seems convenient.  Lego accepted the Delorean and Ecto-1 CUUOSO/IDEAS sets because they were new, not previously-used licenses, and Lego was unsure of profitability and markets for each license.  The Delorean was discounted and maybe not the best seller, despite what has happened in the secondary market.  But, it's clear that Ecto-1 was profitable and identified a nice, and more than niche, market for demand because it's still being sold after nearly 2 years, the Ghostbusters HQ just came out for $350, and Lego has already announced a new Ecto-1 for the reboot movie and the possibility of more sets.

There was a nice rant (not mine) on the Lego IDEAS submission limitations and acceptance on Reddit several weeks back that generated a lot of comments:  https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/43g4dc/lego_ideas_sucks_right_now/

8 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

Lego will have that ripped off in no time.

Lego needs to just be more transparent around when they started something in their development pipeline. I mean, this is clearly awesome, but if they already had one in the works it's a bit of a no-win situation for them. I agree GHQ is a bit sketchy, but seriously how would they not already be developing a BB-8.

5 minutes ago, nolanfan34 said:

Lego needs to just be more transparent around when they started something in their development pipeline. I mean, this is clearly awesome, but if they already had one in the works it's a bit of a no-win situation for them. I agree GHQ is a bit sketchy, but seriously how would they not already be developing a BB-8.

Lego is in a no-win situation with these licenses they already have.  They can't issue a BB-8 as an Ideas set because it falls under Star Wars.  If they issue the set under Star Wars we will all believe they ripped it off since they are so secretive with their plans.  I'd be surprised if a set like this hasn't been spitballed at the very least, but they won't prove it to the world even if they were.  We've already seen evidence of that. 

• Like 1

I wish I remember where I had read something about Lego talking about how long it can take from concept to production.  It might have been a Lego documentary or something.  Anyways, if I remember correctly, they mentioned that I think on average in can take about a year to a year and a half to go from first concept to release.  And I would assume longer in some other instances.  You figure with a set as big as the Helicarrier, and Ghostbusters, it's entirely possible that before it was actually released to the public, it had already been in the pipeline for close to 2 years.  So I think for the most part, it's just bad timing overall really, and not Lego purposely going out of their way to rip off people's submissions.  Granted I'm sure they do some research into how popular something can be to make a new line/set what have you.

Before this gets too far off the rails, I'm with the consensus that most of the IDEAS submissions, while very nice, and would love to have them, are so insanely impractical for Lego to actually produce.  Ranging from licenses that Lego already has, to licenses that lego will never get, and sets that are too big to ever even be considered.  And that's the unfortunate double edge sword with regards to the IDEAS program.  Sure they have gotten some new licenses, but the more popular sets, that I'm sure would sell really well, can't be done in an IDEAS form, but then the only items that can do well are original creations, and that can create a more niche selling market.

• Like 1

I think minecraft was really fast, just a matter of days.

About rolling BB8 i believe this project will become or appear in a lego set, either with or withour the Ideas badge. TLG can bypass the review stage and talk directly to the project creator for a deal about the rights.

(If that is possible, didnt read the ideas terms and conditions fine print)

Just now, jaisonline said:

Maybe. It will also be the fastest proposal to get rejected during the review phase.

Oh for sure, I have no doubt about that. I still do not understand why IDEAS doesn't automatically reject any submissions that belong to already existing and running licences.

Considering that the people running TLG are certainly not stupid, I'll have to assume they have an agenda with the Ideas website, the submissions made to it, and still allowing submissions that anyone could reasonably argue will get rejected during the review phase any way. An agenda that goes beyond the obvious that is visible on the surface...

The Rolling BB-8 is up to 9900…Last 100 to go. 

My question is why do people think Lego shouldn’t accept ideas for current licenses?  It states in the guidelines of Ideas that they welcome ideas for current licenses…and even use star wars as an example.  Wouldn’t it be easier to make an ideas set for a license that you are already using?  As opposed to negotiating a new license with another third party?

This BB-8 could already be in the Lego pipeline (black box), but without us knowing, at least getting it up on the ideas page increases the chances of us being able to buy one, ideas branded or otherwise.  And if they were going to make this already, why didn’t they put it out with the buildable figures? Or with the Force awakens?  Seems to me there is a good chance they did not have a mobile BB-8 model in the works because if they did, they would have capitalized on it already.